• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

[London Underground] Euston Square to Hillingdon

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Snap

Established Member
Morning all,

A question regarding Underground ticketing...

I vaguely remember being able to buy a ticket for a single journey from Station A to Station B in the past; does this exist?

I'm looking to travel from Euston Square to Hillingdon (which will be entirely on the Met), and am trying to avoid paying £8.50 for a Zone 1 to 6 Travelcard. I feel like I'm loosing out because I'm only making the one journey on the one line, yet I’ll have a Travelcard for best part of the entire network!

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Ta.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cjohnson

Been a while since buying a paper ticket, but TfL says it's £5.30. (Oyster of course much cheaper...) The ticket itself might just be issued from zone 1 to zone 6 rather than the named stations?

The Snap

Established Member
Been a while since buying a paper ticket, but TfL says it's £5.30. (Oyster of course much cheaper...) The ticket itself might just be issued from zone 1 to zone 6 rather than the named stations?

See, that's cheaper than the price of a Day Off-Peak Zone 1-6 Travelcard. However, when using the LU website to buy tickets, the £5.30 ticket option isn't available (or I can't find it!).

SS4

Established Member
See, that's cheaper than the price of a Day Off-Peak Zone 1-6 Travelcard. However, when using the LU website to buy tickets, the £5.30 ticket option isn't available (or I can't find it!).

You can buy tickets on TfL? I just thought one used the single fare finder and bought at the station.
Yes though, you can buy to named stations

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
This ticket is available to buy using cash/card (etc) on the day of travel - very few TfL tickets are available to purchase in advance.

TP

The Snap

Established Member
You can buy tickets on TfL? I just thought one used the single fare finder and bought at the station.
Yes though, you can buy to named stations

This ticket is available to buy using cash/card (etc) on the day of travel - very few TfL tickets are available to purchase in advance.

TP

You can buy Travelcards it seems through the LU website. I'm trying to avoid the queues in the ticket offices by already having my tickets with me. I've previously bought Underground tickets on the train down from Manchester which saves a lot of time.

I've stumbled across the Visitor Oyster card - looking at it, it sounds much cheaper. It's £2.90 Euston/Zone 1 - Zone 6 during Off-peak, and £4.50 Peak which is quite reasonable.

A question then: My train arrives at Euston at 15:42 -will I be charged as I touch in (prior to 16:00) and therefore an off-peak price, or as I touch out (around 16:35) and therefore the peak price?

Thanks.

island

Veteran Member
You can buy that ticket at the station for £5.30, but not online. An Oyster card would of course be cheaper to use.

Peak/off-peak determinations are based on touch-in time.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'd recommend getting an Oyster card and use PAYG. I'd keep it for any future trips to London, it will save time & money.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tickets/faresandtickets/farefinder/current/default.aspx

Euston Square to Hillingdon

Cash £5.30
Oyster PAYG £4.80 Peak (Monday to Friday from 0630 to 0930 and from 1600 to 1900)
Oyster PAYG £2.90 Off Peak (At all other times including public holidays).

If you really wanted to save money, walk to Mornington Crescent (10 mins walk from Euston station), and from there it's only £1.40 Off Peak, changing for FCC Thameslink at Kentish Town [[stn]KTN[/stn]] & then changing to the Jubilee at West Hampstead [[stn]WHP[/stn]] (changing again at either Finchley Rd or Wembley Pk). Takes a lot longer but is very cheap!

The times apply to when you touch in.

The Snap

Established Member
You can buy that ticket at the station for £5.30, but not online. An Oyster card would of course be cheaper to use.

Peak/off-peak determinations are based on touch-in time.

I'd recommend getting an Oyster card and use PAYG. I'd keep it for any future trips to London, it will save time & money.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tickets/faresandtickets/farefinder/current/default.aspx

Euston Square to Hillingdon

Cash £5.30
Oyster PAYG £4.80 Peak (Monday to Friday from 0630 to 0930 and from 1600 to 1900)
Oyster PAYG £2.90 Off Peak (At all other times including public holidays).

Thanks for that chaps, very helpful.

I agree yorkie, it seems very sensible to get an Oyster card as I can use it whenever I travel to London and get cheaper tube travel.

If you really wanted to save money, walk to Mornington Crescent (10 mins walk from Euston station), and from there it's only £1.40 Off Peak, changing for FCC Thameslink at Kentish Town [[stn]KTN[/stn]] & then changing to the Jubilee at West Hampstead [[stn]WHP[/stn]] (changing again at either Finchley Rd or Wembley Pk). Takes a lot longer but is very cheap!

Bit too much effort for a £1.50 saving!! ;). But thanks for the suggestion.

The times apply to when you touch in.

To clarify, if I touch in before 4pm I'll be charged the off-peak fare regardless of where I'm travelling to within the network and the time I next touch out?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
To clarify, if I touch in before 4pm I'll be charged the off-peak fare regardless of where I'm travelling to within the network and the time I next touch out?

Yes. Any journey started before 1600 will be charged off-peak, even if you have to touch out and in en-route (as in Yorkie's suggestion) as long as you keep within the allowed OSI times.

The Snap

Established Member
Yes. Any journey started before 1600 will be charged off-peak, even if you have to touch out and in en-route (as in Yorkie's suggestion) as long as you keep within the allowed OSI times.

Thanks for the clarification.

stut

Established Member
From experience, you even get a few minutes' grace after 4pm too, but I wouldn't count in it!

button_boxer

Established Member
Also you may prefer to get a "normal" Oyster card rather than a visitor one. A visitor Oyster card can only hold PAYG credit (not period travelcards) and has a non-refundable activation fee of £3 in addition to the initial credit. A normal Oyster card has an initial deposit of £5 rather than £3 but that is refunded (along with any outstanding PAYG balance) if you return the card.

If you're going to be in London (even semi-)regularly the best bet may be a normal Oyster card with auto top-up, so you never need to worry about running out of credit.

island

Veteran Member

And the maximum journey times too!

clagmonster

Established Member
You can order 'normal' Oyster cards online at https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/link/0005.do or alternatively you can obtain one from Euston Square booking office. In addition to the benefits listed by Button_Boxer, PAYG fares with the normal card are railcard discountable, this is done by loading your railcard onto the Oyster at a booking office. I'm not sure whether this can be done with the visitor card.

Also, if you do choose to go with paper, the ticket can be bought at Piccadilly or from the guard on the way into Euston. Ask for a day single from London Terminals to Zone U1256 London.

Status
Not open for further replies.