• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground Map - In Welsh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steddenm

Not sure if this has already been mentioned somewhere else, but the BBC have reported that somebody has translated the London Underground map into Welsh and it looks brilliant!

Attachments

• map_tiwb_hi-res.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 222
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Emyr

Victoria was shoddily transliterated. Should have been something derived from "Buddug", that being the Welsh word for victory and also the original Brythonic name of Boudica of the Iceni.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That map looks very empty without the DLR & Overground!

Is there no Welsh translation for Angel?

Whenever I hear of something in Welsh, I am reminded of the line from Red Dwarf "Open communication channels, Lister. Broadcast on all known frequencies and on all known languages – including Welsh" ;)

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Fine piece of work , I know the system very well - and have a reasonable knowledge of Welsh , but I do struggle a bit with it.

56 1/2

Coming from the principality perhaps one of the stations should have a grandiloquent and verbose name, Bilingual suggestions please, my candidates Northwood Hills Chalfont and Latltimer, Waterloo, Redbridge, Buckhurst Hill. but you can do better. There are no points in this round but " Points make PGs" Next project Tube Map in Latin .

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Coming from the principality perhaps one of the stations should have a grandiloquent and verbose name, Bilingual suggestions please, my candidates Northwood Hills Chalfont and Latltimer, Waterloo, Redbridge, Buckhurst Hill. but you can do better. There are no points in this round but " Points make PGs" Next project Tube Map in Latin .

Latin would be very interesting , would go down well in Oxbridge I reckon......bring it on.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Latin would be very interesting , would go down well in Oxbridge I reckon......bring it on.
Pons Londinium for London Bridge would probably be the limit for me. That's where doing five years of Latin gets you (and two failed 'O' levels)!

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Pons Londinium for London Bridge would probably be the limit for me. That's where doing five years of Latin gets you (and two failed 'O' levels)!

I only did 2 years of Latin , basically using one textbook* - and it was not a good experience as the subject was not well taught. My contribution (regrettably would be very low)

<"The Latin Way" - probably written in the 1930's and very heavy on Senators and so on - tedious in the extreme , as other languages were taught with much more flair and even using audio-visual equipment and modern day examples to spice it up.>

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I only did 2 years of Latin , basically using one textbook* - and it was not a good experience as the subject was not well taught. My contribution (regrettably would be very low)

<"The Latin Way" - probably written in the 1930's and very heavy on Senators and so on - tedious in the extreme , as other languages were taught with much more flair and even using audio-visual equipment and modern day examples to spice it up.>
I suppose it has helped me with etymology of words over the years, but was it all worth it? Audio-visual equipment at my school was confined to a slide projector in art, though come to think of it there was no sound other than the thing sounding like it was going to blow up every time it was used :lol:

Enthusiast

<"The Latin Way" - probably written in the 1930's and very heavy on Senators and so on

A tome familiar to me as well. Red covered hardback. The previous owner of my copy (along with many others) had taken a black pen and altered the title to "Athens Eating Way". Marcus Tullius Cicero and his slave featured heavily as I recall. Handy that he had a slave because "servus" was the example noun used for the first declension (IIRC from more years ago than I care to remember). 8-)

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
A tome familiar to me as well. Red covered hardback. The previous owner of my copy (along with many others) had taken a black pen and altered the title to "Athens Eating Way". Marcus Tullius Cicero and his slave featured heavily as I recall. Handy that he had a slave because "servus" was the example noun used for the first declension (IIRC from more years ago than I care to remember). 8-)

"The Dating Way" was another title alteration.

"Marcus Tullius in tablino sedet , senator est" - double Latin in a cold Monday morning classroom. Great start to the week. Not.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
"The Dating Way" was another title alteration.

"Marcus Tullius in tablino sedet , senator est" - double Latin in a cold Monday morning classroom. Great start to the week. Not.
You're certainly sending the shivers down me - whoever said school days were the best years of your life didn't attend my school!

infobleep

Veteran Member
I love the map. When I was studying Cartography at university, back when such a subject could be studied, we were taught that it is better to use the vernacular rather than to transliterate the names.

If course this map has been produced for fun, so who cares about such things.

Whilst I can't speak Latin, beyond a few responses from a Catholic Latin mass I would love to see a Latin Underground map.

How about a Cornish one?

If course for far out, there is always Klingon.

PeterC

Established Member
Having failed the mock O level the best I can guess at is Bona Maria for Marylebone. I could probably work out "Kentish Town" with the aid of a grammar textbook. Something along the lines of Venta Cantii I think.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I love the map. When I was studying Cartography at university, back when such a subject could be studied, we were taught that it is better to use the vernacular rather than to transliterate the names.

If course this map has been produced for fun, so who cares about such things.

Whilst I can't speak Latin, beyond a few responses from a Catholic Latin mass I would love to see a Latin Underground map.

How about a Cornish one?

If course for far out, there is always Klingon.
Which of the three versions of Cornish would you like? :lol:

jb108822

Which of the three versions of Cornish would you like? :lol:
Wait, there are three versions of Cornish? I've got plenty of Cornish relatives, and spent fourteen years growing up in Cornwall, but that's genuinely the first I've heard about different versions of the Cornish language!

PeterC

Established Member
Wait, there are three versions of Cornish? I've got plenty of Cornish relatives, and spent fourteen years growing up in Cornwall, but that's genuinely the first I've heard about different versions of the Cornish language!
Looking at the Wiki article it seems to be three different ways to write the language not versions of the spoken language.

The Standard Written Form, brought out in 2008 should replace the rival Common Cornish and Unified Cornish orthographies.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Looking at the Wiki article it seems to be three different ways to write the language not versions of the spoken language.

The Standard Written Form, brought out in 2008 should replace the rival Common Cornish and Unified Cornish orthographies.
Wars have been fought over less! I had to get my head around it all when moving to Cornwall in 1988 and taking over a bookshop. The most prolific publisher of Cornish books (like me, non-Cornish) gave me a crash lesson not just in the different versions but the arcane politics of it all, with lifelong hatreds between protaganists of the three.

Status
Not open for further replies.