• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground photography set up help

Status
Not open for further replies.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Hello all,

I have only just recently tried taking photo's on the LUL, and I must they they have come out pretty s**t! I have a Fuji FinePix S1800 bridge, and tried it using Auto but everything goes out of focus or blurry.

The manual setting's are pre-set for airplane arrival/departures, and another for general moving trains outdoors, which also doesn't work for Underground shots.

Has anyone got any tips for setting up a mode for doing such? I'm still kind of new to this having only used a bridge for under a year, but on Friday when I'm in London I'd like to start collecting some D stock shots at various locations including underground station shots, so I'd like to be able to try some suggested settings, if I did it and just left it on auto, I'd have to bin all the shots :lol:

Any help is much appreciated :)

James.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JohnB57

Hey James. I hope your Friday shoot was better than you expected. For what it's worth at this late stage, a couple of observations.

Using a bridge camera for what are in effect action shots has its own challenges. Firstly, the lens is a bit "slow" - the aperture is not wide and it gets smaller as you zoom into your subject. This means that you have to use a slower shutter speed and/or a higher ISO. A slow shutter speed - less than say 1/500 second - is too slow to freeze all but the slowest trains and as you're probably nearer to the subject on LUL than you are on the mainline, this accentuates what I think is your main problem.

Another issue with this type of camera is shutter lag. Your particular model activates the shutter up to 0.75 of a second after you press the release. This means that between focusing and firing, the train may have moved out of focus a little and again this is accentuated by the closeness of the subject.

I'd recommend two things. Ensure your shutter speed stays high by using shutter priority ("S" mode") and selecting a fast shutter speed - at least 1/500 and if possible faster. Use a higher ISO setting, or even auto ISO. High ISO - anything higher than ISO 800 on your camera - will give you noticeable noise on the images, but if you don't have any other choice, that's better than motion blur.

Secondly, try to pre-focus on the precise spot where you want the subject to be in the shot by half pressing the shutter release but only firing the shutter at the exact moment - this will reduce the lag time. Also, your camera has a continuous AF mode and you might like to experiment with that.

Hope these points are not too obvious and might help you to experiment with settings etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.