• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Underground Track/Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestRiding

For years, the Underground has fascinated me, been totally different to anything we have up North. I get that each line has its own dedicated units/train. But, is all of London Undergrounds track connected in some way. IE, for example is every line connected to each other physically? Or are some lines totally self contained. Maybe an easier way of wording what i mean.... If i had a unit/train at Epping, could it theoretically visit every station on the system. Regardless of what train wont fit somewhere etc, i want to avoid that. Just a theoretical, could a train visit every station, without its wheels leaving the rails and been placed on different rails. Thanks. I would love to see an opperational map rather than a public info map.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bucephalus

I would hazard a guess (my guesses haven't proved to be reliable) that the Waterloo & City line is separate. I reckon the Victoria is still linked somehow by national rail tracks at the north end

Bucephalus

Didn't see post #2
And aha, I see. The Piccadilly :)

Oh, and wow amazing map link dstock7080!

Last edited:

WestRiding

Thats a brilliant map. Thanks for sharing. Makes it a lot easier to understand!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
All Lines connected somehow, trains required access to Acton Works for overhauls etc. except the Waterloo & City (not a traditional LT/LU Line) which remains isolated and is only accessed via a lift.
There was a lift originally but it was obliterated by the Eurostar terminal. Now they need a crane whenever stock needs to leave the line, which isn't very often.

rebmcr

Established Member
No connection to NR tracks on the Victoria Line, the connection is to the Piccadilly Line at Finsbury Park.

I recall that '09 Tube Stock is bigger than other TS, and cannot fit in a Piccadilly line tunnel.

Does that mean the fleet is captive, with the connection used only for engineering trains?

Dstock7080

Established Member
I recall that '09 Tube Stock is bigger than other TS, and cannot fit in a Piccadilly line tunnel.

Does that mean the fleet is captive, with the connection used only for engineering trains?
Correct, 2009 Stock has to be transferred by road to access the depot.

John Webb

Established Member
There was a lift originally but it was obliterated by the Eurostar terminal. Now they need a crane whenever stock needs to leave the line, which isn't very often.
This is a view of the replacement access point, right of centre of the picture (click on photo to go to the larger original):
View up Spur Road from Baylis Road

© Copyright Robert Lamb and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
There is a cradle which is lifted by a crane when complete items of rolling stock are required to be moved in or out; there are vertical guide channels to assist in locating the cradle correctly. I assume the small crane is used to shift smaller items such as bogies when needed.

The original lift can be seen in the top right of this map: https://maps.nls.uk/view/102903886

Status
Not open for further replies.