• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Victoria closure - ticket acceptance

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
So Victoria is closed this Sunday. Will my ticket (East Croydon - Victoria only) be accepted from East Croydon - London Bridge - Charing Cross?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm amazed there are separate fares for Victoria when London Bridge is an equally likely destination...but there indeed are, sometimes the same price, sometimes 30p different. Bizarre.

I know they want to get rid of London Terminals, but why not have a destination London Vic/Bridge/Blackfriars? Or route Southern Only if the intention is to bar Thameslink (though I accept the "GTR issue" with doing this).

GodAtum

On Moderation
yeah I know, but useful. £1,540.00 a year for Victoria only, £1,704.00 for London terminals so a difference of £164.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I'm amazed there are separate fares for Victoria when London Bridge is an equally likely destination...but there indeed are, sometimes the same price, sometimes 30p different. Bizarre.

I know they want to get rid of London Terminals, but why not have a destination London Vic/Bridge/Blackfriars? Or route Southern Only if the intention is to bar Thameslink (though I accept the "GTR issue" with doing this).

It's historic. Same applies from a whole bunch of Sussex stations. Portslade, for example, is well known for having a lot of London commuters:
Portslade & London Victoria 7DS £104.60
Portslade & London Terminals 7DS £113.40
Portslade & London Zones 1-6 7TS £133.50

The main basis of it was that the former Southern franchisee would be sharing revenue with the former Thameslink franchisee for London Terminals tickets, but not with tickets to London Victoria.

Some of the fastest direct trains from Portslade to London do go to London Bridge, although more trains to go London Victoria. Still more of the time it's neccesary to change at Brighton, from where either might be the quickest depending on the first service to depart. Is this really fair? No. What is the most likely outcome from changing it? That everyone pays the higher price.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
As for the OP's actual query, I really can't find anything that suggests they can:

No Southern Trains to / from London Victoria on Sunday 15 October

Network Rail are carrying out engineering work between London Victoria and Streatham Hill / Streatham Common, closing various lines.

No Southern trains will operate to / from London Victoria. An amended Southern Main Line / Metro service will operate with trains diverted to start / terminate at London Bridge. A replacement bus service will operate between London Victoria and East Croydon / Balham and Streatham Hill.

Check before you travel:

You can plan your journey using the National Rail Enquiries Journey Planner

Bicycles:

Non folding bicycles are not allowed on rail replacement bus services at any time. Folding bicycles are allowed if fully folded. For more information, please see here.

Project Information:

You can read more about engineering work and why it is necessary.

Is about it.

GodAtum

On Moderation
very annoying, there should be ticket acceptance at least to london bridge surely?!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Looks like you will need to get the replacement bus, the number of passengers it will probably be affecting will be minimal, GTR probably overlooked it

GodAtum

On Moderation
Minimal, surely 1000s of people travel to Victoria on a Sunday?

gray1404

Established Member
I personality would arrive at London Bridge with a London Victoria ticket and cite the disruption. That is my personal decision however.

hassaanhc

Established Member
very annoying, there should be ticket acceptance at least to london bridge surely?!
Surely not if you decide to save a few quid! Services to Victoria are still available as far as Southern are concerned. If you want to use London Bridge then you should buy the relevant ticket that allows you to do so.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Surely not if you decide to save a few quid! Services to Victoria are still available as far as Southern are concerned. If you want to use London Bridge then you should buy the relevant ticket that allows you to do so.

What services though, a 2 hour bus replacement?

greatkingrat

Established Member
Southeastern are still running to Victoria so there are various options, NRE are suggesting a walk between Penge West and Penge East, or you could head up through Tulse Hill and Herne Hill.

hassaanhc

Established Member
What services though, a 2 hour bus replacement?
I think that's hassaanhc's point, yes.
Yes, if he wanted to travel via London Bridge then there are tickets that allow you to do so, so why should a Victoria ticket be accepted via London Bridge? It is completely different to the situation this weekend of Swindon to London tickets being accepted via Oxford to Marylebone as there is usually no through ticket to allow that, whereas there is for the journey from East Croydon to London Bridge. There is nothing on the Southern website about London Victoria only tickets being accepted elsewhere.

NRE also suggest Blackfriars and then tube.
But it only allows a Travelcard to be used for such a journey.

GodAtum

On Moderation
I went to London bridge as Southern's twitter said Victoria only tickets are valid there. Also on station announcements said tickets are accepted via any reasonable route.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I went to London bridge as Southern's twitter said Victoria only tickets are valid there. Also on station announcements said tickets are accepted via any reasonable route.
Some common sense at least.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yes, if he wanted to travel via London Bridge then there are tickets that allow you to do so, so why should a Victoria ticket be accepted via London Bridge?
Not sure if people have missed this but the ticket in question is an annual season. I'm not sure that penalising people on the odd Sunday is really a good idea, thankfully it seems as though they didn't.

hassaanhc

Established Member
Not sure if people have missed this but the ticket in question is an annual season. I'm not sure that penalising people on the odd Sunday is really a good idea, thankfully it seems as though they didn't.
I did fail to notice that it was an annual season, so in which case I take back what I said. For some reason I thought it was a weekly.

GodAtum

On Moderation
I did fail to notice that it was an annual season, so in which case I take back what I said. For some reason I thought it was a weekly.

Sorry for not making it clear, I didn't realise it mattered too much.

Joe Paxton

Established Member

From the standpoint of validity, it doesn't (or at least shouldn't) matter whether it's a weekly, monthly, odd-period or annual.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
From the standpoint of validity, it doesn't (or at least shouldn't) matter whether it's a weekly, monthly, odd-period or annual.

Indeed. My concern was that people were suggesting that you shouldn't have bought a restrictive ticket if you wanted to go to London Bridge. These comments really only applied to single or return tickets, not seasons of any length where the main purpose is commuting to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.