• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Votes 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

Established Member
The campaign for the mayoral election started this week. Recent polls showed Boris Johnson 7-8 points ahead of Ken Livingstone but earlier in the year Ken Livingstone was ahead in the polls. The main parties for this election have exactly the same cadidates for mayor as in 2008.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Well neither of them will get my vote. I would never vote Tory for a start. I wouldnt vote New Labour either as they are just a pinky blue version of the tories. After the judas action of the Liberals they will never get my vote either.

Not sure at who i will vote for yet, maybe the Greens might get it. Pity that Labout have gone so far to the right as my standing MP is a very Good Labour MP.

Butts

Veteran Member
I'm not eligible to vote but Ken and Boris are at least real characters not cardboard cutouts.

What with Ken's creative approach to paying taxes and Boris's creative approach to marriage there is never a dull moment :p

Perhaps they should form a coalition :lol:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Well neither of them will get my vote. I would never vote Tory for a start. I wouldnt vote New Labour either as they are just a pinky blue version of the tories. After the judas action of the Liberals they will never get my vote either.

Not sure at who i will vote for yet, maybe the Greens might get it. Pity that Labout have gone so far to the right as my standing MP is a very Good Labour MP.

Nick Clegg and Vince Cable have ruined the careers of many fine-standing Liberal MPs. Our own girl Annette Brooke has done a decent job since becoming an MP 11 years ago and demonstrated that unlike those two, she has morals. Now she is set to lose her seat at the next round. Not fair! <(

I don't like Ken that much, but he is still a better candidate than Boris.

SS4

Established Member
Off topic I know but would any Londoners here recommend a directly elected mayor?

I'm not eligible to vote either but I cannot trust the Tories as far as I can throw them - same for the Liberal Democrats (a shame since I don't think many of them are as bad as Nick "Judas" Clegg). New Labour are Tory Lite so it'd have to be another party and knowing I'd wasted my vote. Hypothetically of course.

richw

Veteran Member
Not living in London, But Boris always seems a decent bloke, with the right prioritys.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Think what you like of Boris, he is a real character, and there's very few like him around. I would personally like him to win (though it doesn't at all involve me), as the only other candidate likely to win would be Labour, and there are very few things I have hatred for more than them.

SWT_USER

I voted for Ken (just) last time but won't do so this time, every time he opens his mouth he loses support. I'm no lover of Boris either though, bus fares in particular have gone through the roof since he took over and it's now £1.35 for a single on oyster! That said he apparently had to fill a financial black hole left by Ken...

scotsman

Established Member

It'll either be Ken or Boris that will win the Mayoral election, so I'd be voting Ken to keep Boris out if I were you

ushawk

Established Member
If i was able to, id vote Boris. Cant say he isnt committed to the job and has done some good things, where as Ken is just saying the total opposite - including saying he will reduce fares - id love to know where the money from all the projects in London going on will then come from, probably increased tax.

SS4

Established Member
If i was able to, id vote Boris. Cant say he isnt committed to the job and has done some good things, where as Ken is just saying the total opposite - including saying he will reduce fares - id love to know where the money from all the projects in London going on will then come from, probably increased tax.

Strange how Boris is also stating he will reduce fares - id [sic] love to know where the money from all the projects in London going on will then come from, probably increased tax.

(see this thread)

Zoe

Established Member
If the polls are correct, it looks like it's going to be another four years of Boris.

Butts

Veteran Member
Ah well sitting down for The BBC's coverage of The Election Results - unforunately London and Scotland don't count until the Morning - tight wads saving on the overtime bill :p

There will be no coverage that comes anywhere near David Dimbleby and the crews expert comment and analysis of the results. Together with Radio 4 and Five Live they are unassailable.

Its all about continuity.........

BBC you make it what it is :lol:

SS4

Established Member
I'd love to watch but I can't stand the sight of Cameron's smug face

Butts

Veteran Member
I'd love to watch but I can't stand the sight of Cameron's smug face

Do you prefer "Wallace":roll: - don't worry the Conservatives are going to take a mid term hammering so DC won't be smug !!!

SS4

Established Member
Do you prefer "Wallace":roll: - don't worry the Conservatives are going to take a mid term hammering so DC won't be smug !!!

Nah, DC is always smug or looks smug at least. I'm more interested in the referendum results and hoping for a no

Butts

Veteran Member
Nah, DC is always smug or looks smug at least. I'm more interested in the referendum results and hoping for a no

Looks like Labour are going to take Villas Home of Brum - the Mayors Vote is not counting till morning.:p

Pumbaa

Established Member
Exit Poll suggests Birmingham has rejected an elected mayor.

anthony263

Established Member
Seems Bristol has decided to have an elected Mayor.

Now we wait to see if Boris gets relected as Mayor.

Zoe

Established Member
You could very well be looking at a future Prime Minister
The mayoral term doesn't end until 2016 but the next general election is in 2015, if David Cameron resigned immediately after the election there would be a leadership contest. Could Boris Johnson by Tory party leader and Mayor at the same time? Even if he won the leadership election he likely wouldn't get to be Prime Minister until 2020.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.