• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Wins Olympic Games 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave A

London beats Paris to 2012 Games

The 2012 Olympic Games will be held in London, the International Olympic Committee has announced.
London won a two-way fight with Paris by 54 votes to 50 at the IOC meeting in Singapore, after bids from Moscow, New York and Madrid were eliminated.

Paris had been favourites throughout the campaign but London's hopes were raised after an impressive presentation by Lord Coe, the bid chairman.

IOC president Jacques Rogge made the dramatic announcement at 1249 BST.

It will be the first time the Olympics has been held in Britain since 1948.

Coe said: "This is just the most fantastic opportunity to do everything we ever dreamed of in British sport."

After the announcement, it emerged London were ahead in every round of voting except the second round when Madrid polled the most votes.

News of London's victory delighted flag-waving supporters who had gathered in Trafalgar Square.

But raindrops began falling on disapointed Parisians outside the Hotel de Ville in the French capital shortly after the result.

This is how the decision was made by the IOC in Singapore on Wednesday:

All five bidding cities gave final 45-minute presentations to the IOC members before the vote began.

The electronic ballot started at 1126 BST. Moscow, New York and Madrid were eliminated from the race in the first, second and third rounds of voting.

The final round of voting finished at about 1145 BST, with the committee reconvening at 1230 BST for the official announcement.

IOC president Jacques Rogge revealed the winner after a nerve-wracking wait at 1249 BST.

Wednesday's decision brings to an end the 18-month race to win the host contract for the 2012 Games.

And it was the most keenly-fought bidding contest in recent years.

Paris was considered the front-runner for much of the campaign, and was highly rated in the initial evaluation and also by the inspectors after their visits earlier in the year.

But it was widely recognised that bid leader Lord Coe, a high-profile personality within the IOC and other governing bodies, hauled London closer to the French capital as the vote approached.

Madrid was seen as a consistent but not outstanding candidate, while New York's bid was dogged by problems over their proposed stadium, and Moscow was always seen as the rank outsider.

Once attention moved to Singapore, the bidding cities called on political and sporting heavyweights to champion their causes.

And the spotlight inevitably focused on Paris and London in the days leading up to the vote.

The two cities had President Chirac and Prime Minister Blair respectively in their corners.

Mr Chirac actually took part in the French capital's final presentation on Wednesday, while Mr Blair opted to lobby alongside the London bid team in Singapore before flying back to Britain to host the G8 summit.

London also called on England captain David Beckham and a galaxy of Olympic and Paralympic medallists as ambassadors, while footballers Laurent Blanc and Zinedine Zidane were among those backing the Paris bid.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simming

the random Back the bid image at the top should be changed now, seeing as we've got it.

I hope this does wonders for london transport?

Dave A

Simming said:
the random Back the bid image at the top should be changed now, seeing as we've got it.

Yep. London's transport should rise to the top of the world for the olympics. I can't wait. :D :P

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Great news for London, the Olympic bid comittee and the UK in general. I'm really pleased to hear that London is once again hosting the Olympics, as Paris has had all the glory in recent years with events such as the World Cup.

I wonder how easy it would be to buy rail tickets and to London, and accomodation, during the Olympics.

jd

You'll probably need to start booking now!

Congratulations London!

(Meh... I've gotta change my footers now too...)

Julian G

Established Member
Simming said:

i think the back the bid image will be removed from the trains and the livery might remain somehow :? with we won the bid or something like that :?

Angus

I suppose the Olympics are good news for a couple of reasons:

1. Investment in railways
2. We beat France, Spain, America and Russia
3. Small possibility of actually going to some events (better than watching it on TV)

However it could be bad for:

1. Increased taxes to pay for it all
2. Congestion in London and South-east (but I don't live near London so it won't bother me! :D)

So overall it's good news but there may be a few drawbacks.

Dave A

Angus said:
I suppose the Olympics are good news for a couple of reasons:

1. Investment in railways
2. We beat France, Spain, America and Russia
3. Small possibility of actually going to some events (better than watching it on TV)

However it could be bad for:

1. Increased taxes to pay for it all
2. Congestion in London and South-east (but I don't live near London so it won't bother me! :D)

So overall it's good news but there may be a few drawbacks.

But now we have no allies ;) :P

T

Tom

Damn - I've got to think of another London 2012 image now... I wish Paris got it... (joke). ;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Simming said:
Na, Put Something like "Screw You France, Maybe 2016 eh?" :lol:

ROFL!

Angus, I'm in the same boat as you with the 'not being in London so it's not affecting me' in relation to the ease of getting around London. I'll ensure all my spotting in London is done until the Olympics are over, concentrating on the rest of England during it!

Status
Not open for further replies.