• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London (zone 3) to Gatwick airport - annual pass

Status
Not open for further replies.

philch1

Could somebody please advise the cheapest option for annual travel between Pontoon Dock DLR and Gatwick airport? E.g. is it a zone 1-3 Oyster card and a separate Thameslink ticket from London Bridge to Gatwick?

Can you buy a ticket that covers the whole journey? (I tried this on the Thameslink website and the answer seems to be no, as it doesn't recognise DLR stations).

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
A straightforward Travelcard Season from Gatwick to Zones 1-6 will do the job on one ticket. Whether it is also the cheapest I can't say.

iphone76

On the national rail season ticket website, if you type Gatwick Airport to New Cross Gate you get various options.

The cheapest is £3,560 which gives a Thameslink only zones 1 to 6 travel card. You just have to use Thameslink services between Gatwick and the zone 6 boundary.

Other options include the fully flexible £4,644 zones 1 to 6 travel card, £4,068 zones 1 to 6 not Gatwick express travel card or £3,848 any operator zones 2 to 6 travel card, although you would have to change a few times and avoid zone 1.

There may be other ways to reduce the cost but that gives you a rough idea.

philch1

Thanks for you replies. I tried New Cross Gate to Gatwick on the Thameslink website, but there is no option costing £3,560. The cheapest option is £3,296 but that's not valid though London Terminals (which I assume includes London Bridge). Why would Thameslink and NR websites not show the same options?

Also, could you get Gatwick & zones 1 - 3? (Rather than 1 - 6)?

Thanks.

iphone76

Last edited:

philch1

Very strange. I've managed to get the £3,560 ticket, but only if you put Gatwick first. I wonder how many people pay too much just because they put the London station first?!

iphone76

Very strange. I've managed to get the £3,560 ticket, but only if you put Gatwick first. I wonder how many people pay too much just because they put the London station first?!

Very strange indeed. I'm sure someone will know the reason!

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
You can only get outboundary Travelcards with the station outside London as the origin. The £3560 ticket is an outboundary Travelcard restricted to Thameslink Only; outside the zones you must use Thameslink trains only, but inside the zones you can use whatever you want, including tram, bus, tube and DLR.

An outboundary Travelcard has to be valid in all zones you travel through. For New Cross Gate this can be 1-6 if you intend to travel via London Bridge (zone 1) or 2-6 if you're happy taking the Overground to Croydon. You have to get through zones 6, 5 and 4 to get to zone 3 , get through zone 3 to get to zone 2, etc.

Depending on what else you do with your time, I'd reckon the Z1-6 is a good bet, it'd cover you on the weekend into the city too. You wouldn't need to use contactless/Oyster for those leisure trips.

The £3296 ticket is a point to point season ticket and is only valid on the train. This ticket is the same price whether the origin is New Cross Gate or Gatwick.

Last edited:

hkstudent

Established Member
Thanks for you replies. I tried New Cross Gate to Gatwick on the Thameslink website, but there is no option costing £3,560. The cheapest option is £3,296 but that's not valid though London Terminals (which I assume includes London Bridge). Why would Thameslink and NR websites not show the same options?

Also, could you get Gatwick & zones 1 - 3? (Rather than 1 - 6)?

Thanks.
There is no offer of zone 1-3 out boundary season ticket, as you journey already covered zone 4-6 as well.
In revenue break down, it would be like Thameslink to Zone 6 border + Zone 1-6 Season Ticket (to be split among all operators in London)

Status
Not open for further replies.