• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London's new e-ink bus stop displays

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaig

Here is a video I thought you enthusiasts might like demonstrating the new innovative e-ink displays at an increasing number of bus stops in London, this example being Sloane Square Station / Lower Sloane Street. Enjoy the video!!

https://youtu.be/9A9p91ak1pc

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Here it is with NO MUSIC

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisPJ

is there a list anywhere of the locations where these displays are now installed?

jaig

No, but I know the first one was installed on Waterloo Bridge, there is also this one in Sloane Square, but I don't know any others. Hope this at least partly helps

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
is there a list anywhere of the locations where these displays are now installed?
No, but I know the first one was installed on Waterloo Bridge, there is also this one in Sloane Square, but I don't know any others. Hope this at least partly helps

Flying Snail

Established Member
Saw some e-ink displays in the Scottish Highlands, looked like they had been there for some time.

It's a good use for them, particularly where a mains hook-up would be an unjustified expense and a small solar device can power them instead.

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member

Interesting - the stops on Waterloo bridge have the most frequent service in London (though not the highest passenger usage) but the bridge is too thin to allow a standard power supply (and thus Countdown signs) to be fitted.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
How are the street lamps powered, then?

Presumably there's enough room for power cables but not the transformer and other equipment required to power a bus stop.

I know when I worked for TfL that the only reason the stops on Waterloo Bridge didn't get Countdown signs was because they couldn't be powered.

ChrisPJ

I'll have a squint at the Waterloo one if its still there.

Don't know how much power a shelter with illumination and Countdown would consume but it can't be enormous. On the other hand I read that solar power isn't quite good enough for a standard RTPI display as specified by many councils.

Busaholic

Veteran Member

Don't know how much power a shelter with illumination and Countdown would consume but it can't be enormous. On the other hand I read that solar power isn't quite good enough for a standard RTPI display as specified by many councils.

All rather ironic considering that when nearby Waterloo garage of London General has a full complement of electric buses for the 507/521 it will need a small power station to get them all recharged at night without the surrounding area being plunged into darkness.:)

ooo

In North Somerset there are a number of shelters with Real time screens which are powered by solar panels on the roof

Status
Not open for further replies.