• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Long Buckby station

Status
Not open for further replies.
I vaguely remember the old station building. I have visited the current sea container, but I have struggled to find a picture of the old building anywhere on the net. Has anyone got a pic they could share?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rugd1022

I vaguely remember the old station building. I have visited the current sea container, but I have struggled to find a picture of the old building anywhere on the net. Has anyone got a pic they could share?

PM me chap, I have a b&w shot of the old building from 1965 ;)

Tin Rocket

12 or so years ago i did a cab patrol in a silverlink dusty bin and the driver called it "Long Buckly",he did this quite a few times but i could'nt bring myself to correct him.

38Cto15E

Wasn't this the station used for the Royal train for Princess Diana's funeral ?

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member

It was. I believe she was buried at Althorpe, which is quite close. I think there is also some rail trackwork near her burial site.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
12 or so years ago i did a cab patrol in a silverlink dusty bin and the driver called it "Long Buckly",he did this quite a few times but i could'nt bring myself to correct him.

My surname happens to be Buckley.
In the 70s I was gifted a narrow piece of black plastic with the name Long Buckley emblazoned in white on one side.
A friend had picked it up from the Railway Collector's Shop round the corner from Euston.
It was made for the 1960s Solari flap departure board at Euston and obviously rejected as a typo.
So someone out there thought it really was Long Buckl(e)y!
Trouble is, I've lost this family memento it after several house moves...
Not everyone can say they have been on the Euston departure board (though I have no proof it was ever actually displayed).

Rugd1022

It was. I believe she was buried at Althorpe, which is quite close. I think there is also some rail trackwork near her burial site.

Diana is buried a short distance to the west of the line as it runs through the site of Althorpe Park station. There used to be a crossover at the south end of the site but it was removed a while back, other than that the route is 'plain line' through there ;)

Trog

Established Member
There are a few LNWR chaired sleepers remaining from the sidings that used to be on the Up side opposite Althorp Park yard if you look hard enough.

Tin Rocket

I believe the train was brought to a halt at the timber yard just off the A428,the site of the old althorp station,and the funeral party alighted there,this is and was then a recognised maintenance track access point,we used to on-track our machines there,its a couple of minutes from the bringtons and althorp park itself,also its said that charles used to use the old loop at watford lodge when he was on the royal train to entertain diana or alight and travel over the fields to althorp park.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
In the 70s I was gifted a narrow piece of black plastic with the name Long Buckley emblazoned in white on one side.
A friend had picked it up from the Railway Collector's Shop round the corner from Euston.
It was made for the 1960s Solari flap departure board at Euston and obviously rejected as a typo.
Not everyone can say they have been on the Euston departure board (though I have no proof it was ever actually displayed).

yes i remember the chap said it quite a few times
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

yes i remember the chap said it quite a few times

Status
Not open for further replies.