• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Long distance heritage dmu journeys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taunton

Established Member
Even by May 1958 over 1,200 Blue Square cars had been delivered, not quite half of them. Plus all the Yellow Diamond cars. Especially in the old North Eastern Region dieselisation came quite early.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Western 52

A long dmu run in the 1980s was the summer Saturday service from Leicester to Barry Island. Normally a 6 car class 116 sometimes with no toilet in one of the sets. It ran for the Butlins holidaymakers until the camp closed.

David Burrows

Summer Saturdays used to be a Liverpool St to Sheringham and return, formed by 3 x 2car Cravens units from Finsbury Park depot, frequently late coming over to Liverpool Street or reduced to 2 x 2 cars due to GN unit problems. Imagine that distance with units mostly flat out and everything rattling (seats, windows, luggage racks, interior sliding doors) as everything did on those units. At least cleared their works out having spent all their time pottering around on Kings Cross suburban duties. A wonderful journey if one could get a seat behind the driver. I presume they reversed at Norwich as a crew change would have ben necessary there. Also Summer Saturdays Liverpool St to Yarmouth South Town and via East Suffolk line, reversing at Lowestoft, 2 x 3 car Lea Valley units which I don't think had toilets! Imagine families with little children going on holiday and no loos for hours. Another great journey if in the best seats bhind the driver - dire otherwise.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Summer Saturdays used to be a Liverpool St to Sheringham and return, formed by 3 x 2car Cravens units from Finsbury Park depot, frequently late coming over to Liverpool Street or reduced to 2 x 2 cars due to GN unit problems. Imagine that distance with units mostly flat out and everything rattling (seats, windows, luggage racks, interior sliding doors) as everything did on those units. At least cleared their works out having spent all their time pottering around on Kings Cross suburban duties. A wonderful journey if one could get a seat behind the driver. I presume they reversed at Norwich as a crew change would have ben necessary there. Also Summer Saturdays Liverpool St to Yarmouth South Town and via East Suffolk line, reversing at Lowestoft, 2 x 3 car Lea Valley units which I don't think had toilets! Imagine families with little children going on holiday and no loos for hours. Another great journey if in the best seats bhind the driver - dire otherwise.

I vaguely recall as a child going to Pontins in Lowestoft in about 1982 on what I remember as being some sort of a 1st gen DMU. This involved a cross London transfer but I don't remember changing between there and Lowestoft. I wonder if that would have been on a successor to the Yarmouth service you mentioned (Lowestoft - Yarmouth South Town having closed by then).

Status
Not open for further replies.