• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Long distance heritage dmu journeys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taunton

Established Member
As recent as the late 90s First North Western sometimes had a Class 101 set on Llandudno-Crewe (or possibly Chester) which is a fair way, I think it was the Conwy Valley unit "going home for the night".
Had long been like that. From about 1964 almost all North Wales steam services which did not go through to London were replaced by such 2-car dmus, although in fairness most were made up to 6-car formations, sometimes even more, so there was plenty of room. These ran Holyhead to Crewe or to Manchester. Various manufacturers, Met-Cam, Derby, Park Royal etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RT4038

Established Member
Wasn't there Birmingham Snow Hill - Carmarthen, and Paddington-Minehead 1st gen InterCity type DMU runs?

peteb

To me a "heritage" DMU is not simply one that's old but rather one of the 1st gen classes. Sprinters are 2nd gen.
Yes should have been clearer when I started thread! To me heritage means the 1959s modernisation plan dmus, however I respect the fact that for some Pacers and 150s seem ancient!!

peteb

Yes should have been clearer when I started thread! To me heritage means the 1959s modernisation plan dmus, however I respect the fact that for some Pacers and 150s seem ancient!!
Sorry that should read 1950's.......

peteb

But hey, let's include pacers etc if folks have reminiscences to share.....!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I did the direct Ashford to Brighton service in a thumper. I think on the first occasion, I travelled in the CEP carriage between Ashford and Hastings, then switched to the thumper carriage beyond there (both for the novelty value).

As I recall, it didn't last very long and got cut back to Eastbourne.

delt1c

Established Member
in the 60's wasnt there a Paddington to Minehead using a 123

Class195

Would rather not include Pacers. Awful trains! :(

I’d rather get on a 142/144 than a 150.

Did a Wakefield to Chester to Llandudno service ever exist? I seem to remember getting on a 142 at Wakefield and travelling as far as Rhyl? It would be late 80s/early 90s?

delt1c

Established Member
Fully agree, at least pacers seats align with windows so you can enjoy the views on scenic routes. Travelled the Buxton line a few times and with 150's couldnt enjoy the journey.

Sprinter107

Did a Wakefield to Chester to Llandudno service ever exist? I seem to remember getting on a 142 at Wakefield and travelling as far as Rhyl? It would be late 80s/early 90s?
During 1988 there was definitely a Holyhead to Hull service, because i used to catch it. It was a mixtute of 150/1s, 150/2s and 142s. A trolley would be used on those trains. I think it was the following year it was cut back to turn around at Stalybridge.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
During 1988 there was definitely a Holyhead to Hull service, because i used to catch it. It was a mixtute of 150/1s, 150/2s and 142s. A trolley would be used on those trains. I think it was the following year it was cut back to turn around at Stalybridge.
Whilst these were undoubtedly long distance DMU services, they weren't really services utilising (first generation) heritage DMUs, were they?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

Yes it did- was usually a 156 IIRC but did get 142s/150s. For a good while the Wakefield Westgate service was an anomaly in being resourced from Manchester rather than Yorkshire. Running through to Wales ended in the 1990s but upon privatisation it was the only NorthWestern foray into West Yorkshire. Very rarely it threw up a 101 even into this century.

Class195

Yes it did- was usually a 156 IIRC but did get 142s/150s. For a good while the Wakefield Westgate service was an anomaly in being resourced from Manchester rather than Yorkshire. Running through to Wales ended in the 1990s but upon privatisation it was the only NorthWestern foray into West Yorkshire. Very rarely it threw up a 101 even into this century.

Cheers for the information. I remember going on a bus seat style 142 to Rhyl which if I remember took about three hours from Wakefield. Coming back it was a new 156 because we managed to get a table. Always felt like a God when you managed to get a table.

Probably the longest journey I’ve ever done on a 142.

Grumpy

In the latter years of the Great Central line, didn't the Newcastle-Bournemouth train become a Newcastle-Banbury DMU in the winter months? Class 110 I believe

peteb

In the latter years of the Great Central line, didn't the Newcastle-Bournemouth train become a Newcastle-Banbury DMU in the winter months? Class 110 I believe
I'd love to see a photo of that: always been interested in dmu services on the great central, notably those between Rugby and Nottingham.

In July/August 1976 I attended an Open University summer school in York. Traveling from Harlow Town I found that there was one train a day direct from Bishop's Stortford to York. It wasn't shown as such in the public timetable but looking at the various separate pages it became obvious that the same unit(s) formed the service. It used the joint line from March to Doncaster. I cañnot recall the class of unit involved.

As part of the summer school you had the opportunity for field trips, although not the course I was on but on group were set to go to the NRM. I managed to join that trip and as part of it we were given access to the interior of the dynameter car and the newly arrived APT.

Journeyman

Established Member

Quite a few Marylebone to Nottingham services were class 115s in the last few years. Pick where you sat carefully if you were doing the full journey!

Has anyone mentioned DMU services from Glasgow to Oban? Quite a few excursions and a few regular services ran over the Callander and Oban before it closed. That was quite a long run.

delt1c

Established Member
Quite a few Marylebone to Nottingham services were class 115s in the last few years. Pick where you sat carefully if you were doing the full journey!

Has anyone mentioned DMU services from Glasgow to Oban? Quite a few excursions and a few regular services ran over the Callander and Oban before it closed. That was quite a long run.
In the 70's there was a summer only Queen st to Oban service which was a 3 car 101. Great for views and the vibrations from the engines was awsome

Taunton

Established Member
in the 60's wasnt there a Paddington to Minehead using a 123
I don't recall one (which is not to say it wasn't done). The 123s went from Cardiff to Old Oak/Oxford around 1969, and Minehead closed in 1971; we had moved away to the Wirral by then, but regularly visited back in school hols. There was a summer Saturday through train pretty much to the end, but I always recall it being a Hymek (which were themselves actually quite rare on the Berks & Hants, though normal again by Taunton), and would surely recollect any 123 coming through; earlier, when new, they did so for a couple of years on Cardiff-Plymouth. Though the signalling on the Minehead line was stripped right back to the minimum a few years before closure, a run-round loop at Minehead was always retained to the end. The diagram was out & back from Paddington, but crews changed at Taunton as the Old Oak sets did not sign the Minehead branch, and if the 123s were any way different to local dmus I'm not sure the crew would know them.

delt1c

Established Member
I don't recall one (which is not to say it wasn't done). The 123s went from Cardiff to Old Oak/Oxford around 1969, and Minehead closed in 1971; we had moved away to the Wirral by then, but regularly visited back in school hols. There was a summer Saturday through train pretty much to the end, but I always recall it being a Hymek (which were themselves actually quite rare on the Berks & Hants, though normal again by Taunton), and would surely recollect any 123 coming through; earlier, when new, they did so for a couple of years on Cardiff-Plymouth. Though the signalling on the Minehead line was stripped right back to the minimum a few years before closure, a run-round loop at Minehead was always retained to the end. The diagram was out & back from Paddington, but crews changed at Taunton as the Old Oak sets did not sign the Minehead branch, and if the 123s were any way different to local dmus I'm not sure the crew would know them.
You are probably correct , these things get hazy in my mind with time. As an aside 2 119's were sent to Inverness for trials in the late 60's along side the 120's. However the trial was deemed unsucsessful. As they were mechanically the same as the 120's does anyone know why they were unsucsessful. The E&G Intercity units were also mooted for use on the Far North Line but again this was regected, although this was probably due to hamering they had taken between Edinburgh and Glasgow

Journeyman

Established Member
In the 70's there was a summer only Queen st to Oban service which was a 3 car 101. Great for views and the vibrations from the engines was awsome

I didn't realise they ran that late. Bet it was fun!

Journeyman

Established Member
The E&G Intercity units were also mooted for use on the Far North Line but again this was regected, although this was probably due to hamering they had taken between Edinburgh and Glasgow

Yeah, they got knackered pretty quickly. Any stock used on just one line tends to get diagrammed more intensively than stock that's more "common user", and so runs the miles up more quickly. An example is the Southern's 4-LAV EMUs of the thirties - they were confined to the Brighton line. Other semi-fast units of the time had rather more mixed diagrams. The LAVs were falling to pieces by the time they were withdrawn, but the BILs and HALs fared somewhat better.

Taunton

Established Member
As an aside 2 119's were sent to Inverness for trials in the late 60's along side the 120's. However the trial was deemed unsuccessful. As they were mechanically the same as the 120's does anyone know why they were unsucsessful.
Wasn't aware of such a trial. My hunch would be because, unlike the captive, late-build 120s on that line, they would not be fitted with Manson's automatic tablet exchange equipment at the guards' position. This wasn't just a simple fitting, but required a bodywork alteration to install it. Someone wrote that the actual exchangers came off the former steam locomotives used there.

The Gloucester RCW 119s were not just mechanically the same as the 120s, their as-built drawings and internal layout and fittings were the same as well, apart from the Derby-style cab windows instead of the Swindon design. Gloucester were a longstanding Swindon subcontractor, well back into GWR days, and Swindon used to actually procure a lot of the components themselves and send them up by the vanload to Gloucester, right down to BR-spec paint.

delt1c

Established Member
Wasn't aware of such a trial. My hunch would be because, unlike the captive, late-build 120s on that line, they would not be fitted with Manson's automatic tablet exchange equipment at the guards' position. This wasn't just a simple fitting, but required a bodywork alteration to install it. Someone wrote that the actual exchangers came off the former steam locomotives used there.

The Gloucester RCW 119s were not just mechanically the same as the 120s, their as-built drawings and internal layout and fittings were the same as well, apart from the Derby-style cab windows instead of the Swindon design. Gloucester were a longstanding Swindon subcontractor, well back into GWR days, and Swindon used to actually procure a lot of the components themselves and send them up by the vanload to Gloucester, right down to BR-spec paint.
Found where I read about the 119's at Inverness

Status
Not open for further replies.