• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Long ECS moves with crew

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheEdge

Established Member
Just a thing I've been wondering. We know there are some really long ECS moves out there, the ECML and WCML seem to be home to most of them.

How many of them, if any, carry more than just a driver? Be it a guard or even catering.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I think the early morning Nottingham to Liverpool moves must be contenders.

On the East Coast we have an E.C.S from Kings Cross to Newark Northgate in the early hours which carries a guard,the stock then forms 1A00 05.35 back to Kings Cross

tsr

Established Member
On the East Coast we have an E.C.S from Kings Cross to Newark Northgate in the early hours which carries a guard,the stock then forms 1A00 05.35 back to Kings Cross

Goodness me, I just looked that up and it leaves the Cross at 0246! Ouch. I'm guessing if a driver takes it all the way it'd have to be a night turn (though of course there are opportunities for changeovers at King's Cross and Peterborough), but is it counted as a night turn for the guard as well?

causton

Established Member
Yes I remember that 0246, as one time I was on the last train out of Kings Cross which broke down at New Barnet! Should have got the driver to flag it down so it could pick us up alas no! (Off-topic even further, but I told the driver about OpenTrainTimes maps and told him I knew exactly where the ECS train was to pick us up, after he was told it "should be here in 10 minutes" by Control but I didn't even pick it up on the signalling for another 45 ;)

Goodness me, I just looked that up and it leaves the Cross at 0246! Ouch. I'm guessing if a driver takes it all the way it'd have to be a night turn (though of course there are opportunities for changeovers at King's Cross and Peterborough), but is it counted as a night turn for the guard as well?
It's a night turn for us drivers as we book on at 23.23 the previous night and take a set to Ferme Park first but it's technically a (very) early turn for the guard as they book on at 01.00

FordFocus

It's a night turn for us drivers as we book on at 23.23 the previous night and take a set to Ferme Park first but it's technically a (very) early turn for the guard as they book on at 01.00

That's an outrageous booking on time :|

A XC from Central Rivers to Reading, although it's a Q path so doesn't always run http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P36665/2015/08/26/advanced

VT Pendolino from Longsight to Euston nearly 3.5 hours
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P54690/2015/08/26/advanced

craigybagel

Established Member

Or it could be a guard taxied over from Worcester. There is though a Cardiff-Hereford ECS run on a Monday morning with a guard on it.

A XC from Central Rivers to Reading, although it's a Q path so doesn't always run http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P36665/2015/08/26/advanced

VT Pendolino from Longsight to Euston nearly 3.5 hours
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P54690/2015/08/26/advanced

There's some lovely long distance ECS runs for Virgin alright, but mostly DOO. When i was there the morning Rugby-Euston service was a pendolino that came ecs from Oxley, picking up a guard there and catering crew at Wolverhampton but I don't know if that's still the case.

craigybagel

Established Member
I am 90% sure that it picks up a Bristol guard at Temple Meads.

Fair enough. Does it get catering staff as well?

My own depot has 3 morning and one evening ECS runs with guards, although none are more than 40 miles. Nice easy way to start/end the day! Although one of them does require booking on before 3am, so I reckon you deserve an easy run on that job....

Once, when I was a railtour steward, two of us + the guard did an ECS move from Edinburgh to Kings Cross

darloscott

Fair enough. Does it get catering staff as well?

My own depot has 3 morning and one evening ECS runs with guards, although none are more than 40 miles. Nice easy way to start/end the day! Although one of them does require booking on before 3am, so I reckon you deserve an easy run on that job....

I'm not in the rail industry but a parallel transport industry and I agree the empty runs at the start/end of a shift are a nice bonus quiet time!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Shows how little I know about the signalling in that area, I didn't know you had to stop!

Yup, it's like a physical token exchange (at a location without a signal box so the driver would have to stop and get out to obtain the token) but via the magic of radio.

There is a good video on YouTube from 1989 which outlines the signalling systems in use then. RETB is covered from 36:40

[youtube]wAO3JbXYRnI[/youtube]

Stop laughing at the signallers hair cut at the back!

BestWestern

Established Member
I am 90% sure that it picks up a Bristol guard at Temple Meads.

Indeed it does. A Train Manager, and at one time I believe four catering staff (buffet, first class trolley, Chef and Chef assist). Chef is alas no more!

In the opposite direction, the 18.22 Pad to Hereford carries a Bristol Driver and TM throughout and then they both go back to Bristol on it ECS afterwards.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
There's some lovely long distance ECS runs for Virgin alright, but mostly DOO. When i was there the morning Rugby-Euston service was a pendolino that came ecs from Oxley, picking up a guard there and catering crew at Wolverhampton but I don't know if that's still the case.

Yes that is still the case i was it picking up the crew at Wolverhampton a few weeks ago.
Sam

gazthomas

Established Member
This seems so wastelful. I accept the need to maintain stock and so on. Why not run this early from Leeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.