• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Long Preston or Hellifield

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Have a 90 minute connection at either station. Which is better to hang around at? Any decent pubs? Anything to see nearby? Ideas appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Had the same problem a few months back. The only thing at Hellifield is the station cafe, and trying to find opening times on the internet is nigh on impossible. No pubs or anything else in village that I could see.

Long Preston does have pubs in the village, which according to Google Maps is about a 10 minute walk, so might be possible to have a meal if you're quick enough. I was planning on doing this until I realised that the Sunday only trains that go direct to Clitheroe from Hellifield don't stop at Long Preston, so instead had to go to Skipton instead.

Depending on which way you are travelling, and if you are getting the Morecambe - Leeds service, it might be possible to get off at Giggleswick and walk to Settle, where there is much more choice.

burns20

Long Preston has Craven & District award winning CAMRA pub, the Maypole, a gd 15 min walk frm the station on the main A65. Hellifield for architecture and buffet if open.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I made it to Hellifield once and couldn't find much in the way of pubs. Unless you've a way of checking whether the buffet's open, it sounds like Long Preston is the better option (though I've not stopped off there myself). Settle, I have visited and it has some very nice hostelries.

Status
Not open for further replies.