• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Long term implications of suspending ticket checks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
In Germany they are inspecting tickets on all trains where ticket checking staff are normally provided (I'm just back from a few days there). Why can't we do that here?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wolfie

Established Member
Whats the situation on WCML at the moment regarding ticket checks? I dont think Avanti Trains are checking tickets at the moment meaning you coud get a free ride from say Manchester to maybe London something I wouldnt even condone or try.
There were ticket checks at Stafford when l passed through a couple of weeks ago.

RPI

Established Member
GWR guards are to resume revenue duties from tomorrow (subject to an agreed safe method of working which I've yet to see)

Class195

No ticket check on my two Northern trains in and out of Leeds this morning.

It would appear the decision to check and sell tickets is at the sole discretion of the conductor rather than them being told to do it.

greeny11

Did Liverpool to Euston and back on Saturday on Avanti - on the way down, ticket check at Lime Street, then the train manager did a ticket check on board for Runcorn, Crewe and Stafford passengers later on in the trip. On the return, ticket checks were done at Euston.

_toommm_

Established Member
Ticket check at Sheffield P3 by Northern (Carlisle Security) and at the entrance to the station by East Midlands staff.

Fokx

It would appear the decision to check and sell tickets is at the sole discretion of the conductor rather than them being told to do it.

I believe that is the case, it certainly is for my TOC with explicit reference that if we deem it unsafe to do so, social distancing is not occurring by the passengers or the train is running at high capacity not to do so.

DH1Commuter

Occasional ticket checks on TPE, none seen on Northern, XC or LNER, though the barriers are in use at Newcastle Central and staff, to their credit have not been letting the chancers through without buying.

Anvil1984

Established Member

The agreed policy at Northern is that Conductors are not to do revenue and ticket machines currently not being issued. That may change but not in the imminent future.

Some Loss Prevention teams are doing station barriers but no checks on train

Class195

The agreed policy at Northern is that Conductors are not to do revenue and ticket machines currently not being issued. That may change but not in the imminent future.

Some Loss Prevention teams are doing station barriers but no checks on train

I had a Northern conductor conduct a ticket check on my train yesterday?

Anvil1984

Established Member
Presumably Anvil was merely referring to the agreed way of working with the trade union.

Agreed with the Trade Union AND the company. Some conductors MAY “patrol” the train but cannot do revenue activity

Tracked

Established Member
Went to Chesterfield yesterday;
No checks on Doncaster Station
DON-SHF on TPE: No checks
SHF-CHD on EMR: Mask check, but not tickets
No checks on Chesterfield Station
CHD-SHF on Northern: No Checks
SHF-DON on Northern: No Checks
No checks on Doncaster Station

M60lad

Avanti Trains West Coast are back doing ticket checks now and also advance tickets are now back to normal and only being accepted on the service that they were bought for according to the Train Manager on 08:55 service to London yesterday.

I even got a ticket check on 09:50 Crewe-Holyhead service.

No ticket check though later on in the day on 19:56 Wigan Northwestern-Leeds service though

djpontrack

Revenue Protection staff onboard TPE services between Liverpool and Glasgow and return on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday last week.

ALEMASTER

None of the train journeys I've been on both commuting or leisure (EMR, Northern and TPE) have had conductors walking through - no ticket checks, no advising people on face coverings, passengers just left to it. Barriers were in operation at Nottingham yesterday, return train (Northern) was filthy, clearly not cleaned between trips and hardly anyone wearing masks - not convinced Northern is Covid safe! Interestingly on EMR the travelling cleaner that works Chesterfield-Nottingham did still come through the train collecting rubbish.

Haven't been checked since March although I've only travelled on Greater Anglia. That'll change come this Saturday when I'll be all over the south west.

Paulie558

Walk through check on greater anglia last Monday.
However,yesterday ,no checks,and barriers open at Norwich!

Class 33

Established Member
I did a couple of very short(barely about 5 or 6 minutes!) journeys with GWR on the Severn Beach line today. And was surprised that the conductors were walking through the trains checking tickets/collecting fares. This is the first time I've seen this now since I started using this line again back in mid May. This along with a significantly increased uptick on passengers on this line over the past month or so, is a sign of some form of normality returning to the railways.

Last edited:

Class195

I've been to Newcastle and back today with Northern and Cross Country.

Zero ticket checks onboard all four trains other than the barriers at both stations which I guess is something.

Revenue Protection staff onboard TPE services between Liverpool and Glasgow and return on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday last week.

I was a six-car TPE service to Hull last week and forgot to mention in this thread that there is now revenue staff in the front set whilst the conductor conducts checks and revenue in the rear.

I'm guessing the money made by those jumping in the front set would pay for the revenue staffs wages over the course of the day?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
We'll no doubt be hearing from a number of ticketless chancers newbies on the Disputes & Prosecutions sub-forum soon enough!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This thread is now closed; if anyone has anything to discuss regarding the long term implications, please report this post and let us know what it is you'd like to post; we will be happy to consider any request to reopen the thread :)

If anyone wishes to report on ticket checking on their journey, you are very welcome to post in the relevant thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.