• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Long term workplace changes following covid19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom B

Established Member
Many firms have massively increased home working this week, to protect staff and allow things to continue whilst travel is restricted.

Last week at my workplace, a rota was established and most departments had a very few staff in the building (10-20%). The hiccups which presented themselves were primarily where people had not used remote access before and thus needed help getting set up. And a few problems with access to physical papers etc where people had gone home and taken the key etc - nothing insurmountable, and mostly related to the rapid implementation.

I wonder how many companies/organisations will use this as a sort of watershed moment. Supposing they employ 1,000 people, and have to provide premises for them (with associated electricity, maintenance, cleaning etc costs). They may well be able to run their operation with, say, 200 staff permanently based on site plus another 200 desks for the remainder, who primarily work from home but come into the office on an ad-hoc basis.

This may very well reduce congestion (both on the railways and the roads); albeit with some challenges in terms of telephony in rural areas, and in people having adequete accomodation at home to work (especially anybody under 40 or living in London!) - but none insurmountable and there are advantages to the individual, too (less commuting time, money saved, able to have a proper hot meal at lunchtime for cheap, nice walk round the block, flexibility to do things like go to the post office or the shops at lunchtime etc).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes, I agree. I don't think the work-from-home genie will now go back in the bottle, and this could help massively with reduced carbon emissions in summer (houses don't have aircon, but they do have heating) and with making our transport network a bit more manageable in terms of usage levels.

Mogster

I suspect it’ll depend on how well productivity holds up. If anything there’s been a move against home working in my workplace recently with some managers now refusing to sanction it for their teams. It’s very difficult to monitor who’s working and who isn’t, it’s much easier in a face to face situation and so quickly deal with any problems. Some people take home working seriously, some take the piss royally.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I suspect it’ll depend on how well productivity holds up. If anything there’s been a move against home working in my workplace recently with some managers now refusing to sanction it for their teams. It’s very difficult to monitor who’s working and who isn’t, it’s much easier in a face to face situation and so quickly deal with any problems. Some people take home working seriously, some take the piss royally.

Presumably there's a cultural issue there - manage the work that is being done rather than the hours?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
A lot of the type of businesses where people can work from home are run on timesheets, so it's more a matter of trusting people to do the requisite hours. I'm a long term home worker and it suits both my temperament (easily distracted) and the type of work I do, but even for me there are things better done face to face and there will be many people and jobs for which it's more important.

js1000

Working from home will undoubtedly become more common once this is all over.

But I think a big factor depends on the size of the company. The small businesses employing 10-20 people will no doubt be fairly comfortable with a quarter of the workforce working from on home on a given day. But for larger companies with offices of 40+ it will be difficult to manage who is doing the work and who is not and there will be some reticence in implementing widespread WFH practices.

I strongly suspect that passenger numbers during the peaks will decline over the next 5-10 years and that it is reasonable to expect reduction in staffing numbers and train orders.

In fairness it is probably not a bad thing for peak-time travel to reduce slightly as too many services have carriages which are empty most of the day but heaving at peak-time. Some TOCs would rather have a more consistent and manegable flow of passengers throughout the day on some routes so that carriage numbers are distributed fairly across the network.

robbeech

Established Member
Agree, Whilst there are tragic events associated with this situation, the world as a whole will learn a lot from it (indeed it already is) and hopefully there will be many positives come from it. We are known for just letting things happen and not pushing forwards until forced, but working from home is much easier than 10 years ago, and even 5. People are using this time to learn new skills, the have more time to do certain hobbies that don't involve travel etc.

Tom B

Established Member
Even if numbers decline slightly (or are more spread out), there are benefits - it is widely acknowledged that several parts of the railway are creaking at the seams, and inertia throughout the industry combined with short-sighted politicians means nothing is likely to happen quickly.

daddy_badger

I'm a key worker have been working from home, it has been very hectic and stressful at times but have coped with th extra demand. It's not a fool proof solution as now I am furlough and suspect other companies will follow suit.

telstarbox

Established Member
I've worked with plenty of people in face-to-face offices who were capable of slacking - working from home isn't the issue there.

bussnapperwm

Established Member
I already know what the fate of my department is...

...a move to new office building next year!

racyrich

Yes, if I were a property developer of one of the never-ending new very high rise blocks in the City of London I'd be very worried right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.