• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Longdendale Trail - walking/cycling the Woodhead line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman

Established Member
Something I'm keen to do at some point is the Longdendale Trail, a hiking/cycle path that uses the Woodhead trackbed and runs about seven miles from just beyond Hadfield station to the entrance of the Woodhead Tunnel.

First off, I'm keen to hear if there's much to see in terms of surviving infrastructure, although I've a feeling there probably isn't, besides the tunnel entrance itself.

Second, I'm not a very confident cyclist and would much prefer to walk the path. Seven miles is well within my capabilities, but fourteen is more than I'd rather do in a day, so does anyone know if there's public transport available from anywhere near the Woodhead end, to get somewhere on the rail network? If not, that may dictate cycling instead, in which case...

Third, is there anywhere in Hadfield to hire a bike?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Something I'm keen to do at some point is the Longdendale Trail, a hiking/cycle path that uses the Woodhead trackbed and runs about seven miles from just beyond Hadfield station to the entrance of the Woodhead Tunnel.

First off, I'm keen to hear if there's much to see in terms of surviving infrastructure, although I've a feeling there probably isn't, besides the tunnel entrance itself.
I have cycled from Hadfield to Penistone (and some of us continued to Bolton upon Dearn) and I would recommend it.
Second, I'm not a very confident cyclist and would much prefer to walk the path. Seven miles is well within my capabilities, but fourteen is more than I'd rather do in a day, so does anyone know if there's public transport available from anywhere near the Woodhead end, to get somewhere on the rail network? If not, that may dictate cycling instead, in which case...
I had a look at Google Maps and planned a journey from Woodhead by public transport, and it appears there are indeed some limited bus services near the tunnel, but the road does not appear to have actual bus stops, with buses presumably stopping wherever convenient.

If it was me and I wanted to walk rather than cycle, I would take a bus to Woodhead, asking the driver to drop me off as near to the site as possible, and walk back towards Hadfield.

Journeyman

Established Member
If it was me and I wanted to walk rather than cycle, I would take a bus to Woodhead, asking the driver to drop me off as near to the site as possible, and walk back towards Hadfield.

That certainly removes time pressures and the risk of getting stranded in the middle of nowhere, so I'll consider that when it gets to the planning stage. Hadfield has the benefit of (a) good train services and (b) places to eat after a long walk, although I'll take care to avoid The Special Stuff. ;)

Given that I love landscape photography as well as trains, this method has the advantage of allowing me to stop off at leisure if I see views I want to shoot too, without having to worry about the time.

John Webb

Established Member
You might want to look at http://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?p=359383 which is the 1km square of the OS National Grid which contains the West end of the former Woodhead tunnels. You can work your way along the trail seeing what other people have already photographed, including some older pictures of when it was still a railway line. (Access to the Geograph website is free - you will only have to sign up if you want to post your own pictures.)
The gradient from Woodhead to Hadfield is mainly 1:117 until about a mile from Hadfield when it steepens to 1:100. Fairly easy on a bike, I would have thought. (And downhill on the way back!)

dcbwhaley

You might want to look at http://www.geograph.org.uk/browse.php?p=359383 which is the 1km square of the OS National Grid which contains the West end of the former Woodhead tunnels. You can work your way along the trail seeing what other people have already photographed, including some older pictures of when it was still a railway line. (Access to the Geograph website is free - you will only have to sign up if you want to post your own pictures.)
The gradient from Woodhead to Hadfield is mainly 1:117 until about a mile from Hadfield when it steepens to 1:100. Fairly easy on a bike, I would have thought. (And downhill on the way back!)

The 351 Glossop to Holmfirth bus service might serve you best. You would have to debus at the Holme Moss turn and walk a mile on the busy main road to the portal.
And train from Hadfield back to Glossop is easy enough.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
... debus at the Holme Moss turn and walk a mile on the busy main road to the portal.
It is a horrendously busy main road though, very unpleasant for walking.
If you could get off at the B6105 turn, you're nearly on the trail, but that would involve doubling back, about 3km extra judging by the OS map on bing maps - "pin" dropped at the turn on this link: https://binged.it/2OhGNrk

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I've cycled it a few times when I lived in Manchester as a student - along the path (which is pleasant enough if your bike is OK with non-metalled trails, so don't try it on a racing bike), over the top of Woodhead (which is effort), and down the other side (which is fun). I tended then to head back by train from Penistone.

There and back from Hadfield on a bike should be easy enough, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.