• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Longest booked stop not at a station

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
0709 Inverness-Aberdeen sits in Keith Loop for 12 minutes, which is situated beyond the site of the station.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Also the 2125 Exeter St Davids-Salisbury sits in Tisbury Loop for 9 minutes, which again is not on the station site.

Philip C

The southeastern services from cannon street to Barnehurst sits in Erith Loop for 11 minutes

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W08225/2014/09/03/advanced

Which is a long wait on a 376 on a hot summers day

Another opportunity for a minor gripe!

Trains arriving at Tunbridge Wells from Hastings, and coupling to other stock, do not have their doors released until the attachment is complete. Whilst not as long as other booked stands this is especially annoying as five minutes can easily pass whilst passengers wishing to leave the train fret and worry!

I'm not aware of anywhere else where this is normal practice - certainly not at Haywards Heath on the Central Division portion workings. The expression "unlawful imprisonment" comes to mind especially as timetables appear to reflect the train arrival and not the door release times!

I appreciate that this is not a "longest booked stop not at a station" but in some respects is an even less satisfactory operating feature!

Mugby

Established Member
Presumably the Northern stopper waits at South Kirkby Jcn. because there's a fast service due on the main line.

Wouldn't there be time to put it on the down loop?

marcouk2

The York - Sheffield service is due in the same time so presumably reduces potential for knock on delays if the Leeds bound service has to wait for the Sheffield service to clear Moorthorpe South Junction and ends up running late disrupting EC services heading north.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The York - Sheffield service is due in the same time so presumably reduces potential for knock on delays if the Leeds bound service has to wait for the Sheffield service to clear Moorthorpe South Junction and ends up running late disrupting EC services heading north.
I don't understand this.

The York - Sheffield service doesn't impact in any way with the Sheffield - Leeds train.

There is no such junction as Moorthorpe South Junction, and the trains you mention do not conflict at Moorthorpe Junction.

Veteran Member
RTT gives a passing time at Moorthorpe S Jn.
It also shows that the train is held at S Kirkby Jn for a KGX-LDS service.

marcouk2

Still in on RTT as Moorthorpe South :)

Moorthorpe (South) Jn points will be set for the York-Sheffield coming down south so will be changed for the diverging route required by the Sheffield - Leeds once cleared by the York-Sheffield train.

Raildar shows a consistent 2-5min delay for the Leeds bound train leaving Moorthorpe which is then recovered by the wait time at South Kirkby Jn.

Mugby

Established Member
Are you saying that the points on the Up and Down at Moorthorpe Sth Jcn. can't be worked independently?

marcouk2

Happy to be corrected but I'm not aware I've ever seen them operated independently.

louis97

Established Member
Happy to be corrected but I'm not aware I've ever seen them operated independently.

They can be operated independently, there is no margins to be allowed between these movements in the Network Rail timetable planning rules.

Tomnick

Established Member
They can be, and will be, worked independently as at any other double junction. There's no reason why the two movements can't be made simultaneously.

Parallel

Established Member
I wonder how long the longest wait is on the loop between Caersws and Machynlleth?

The Planner

Veteran Member
Nothing is planned to wait for ages at Talerddig, certainly won't be when it goes hourly either.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Still in on RTT as Moorthorpe South :)
Edit: it's North of Moorthorpe station but there used to be a junction further north ; hence the confusion. It appears to have been renamed as the other junction (linking Pontefract Baghill with South Elmsall) no longer exists.
Moorthorpe (South) Jn points will be set for the York-Sheffield coming down south so will be changed for the diverging route required by the Sheffield - Leeds once cleared by the York-Sheffield train.
They don't conflict. The lines are double track. A train going from Sheffield towards Leeds is on the left and turns left. A train going towards Sheffield will be on its right, not crossing its path.

A bit of history about the Moorthorpe Jn - South Kirby Jn chord here. The use of this chord is far greater than in the past...
...For the next 49 years there was no regular passenger service...

Last edited:

Mugby

Established Member
Interesting stuff!
They refer to it as Moorthorpe Jcn. I could have sworn it was once called Moorthorpe Station Junction.

BurtonM

Ardwick Junction on Liverpool bound TPEs - what was the longest wait before they amended the timetable to cut it out?

D6975

Established Member
Remember the loco hauled Fishguard - Cardiff on a summer saturday a few years ago?

That used to sit alonside Canton for ages.

83G/84D

Established Member
There are a number of crossings at Goonbarrow Jn on the Par to Newquay line in the summer timetable, particularly on Saturdays and Sundays.

The longest standing time prior to the September timetable change was on a Sunday involving 2C64 0901 Plymouth to Newquay XC service (1011 - 1026) & 2N03 0952 Newquay to Par .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.