• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Longest current dwell time on a service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathieu

I noticed that 2L60 Arbroath to Edinburgh has a dwell time of 27 minutes at Dundee, are there any other services with ludicrously long dwell times (that aren’t sleeper services)?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I13

Nothing I've found tops your example but there's a Penzance - Manchester service on Saturdays that sits at Plymouth for 21.5 minutes, and several non-accelerated Reading - Newcastle services have 18 minute dwells at Derby.

J-P_L

During the Covid temporary timetable, TPEs 1F66 (12:34 Scarborough to Liverpool) is Booked a 26 minute dwell time at York (13:24-13:50).

CW2

Established Member
During the Covid temporary timetable, TPEs 1F66 (12:34 Scarborough to Liverpool) is Booked a 26 minute dwell time at York (13:24-13:50).
1F66 stands a further 16 minutes at Manchester Victoria (15:08-24).
The pre-COVID path would have a Liverpool arrival around 15:32, whereas it is now 16:03. I suspect the timings are padded out to cope with platform availability at Liverpool.

louis97

Established Member
The pre-COVID path would have a Liverpool arrival around 15:32, whereas it is now 16:03. I suspect the timings are padded out to cope with platform availability at Liverpool.
I suspect its more a combination of maintaining a standard hour paths on the core route, but also maintaining usual departure times from each different origin. 1F66 departs Scarborough as normal, but then waits at York to run in the standard path the next one which departs at xx50. The wait at Victoria will then be to wait for the next standard hour path across the Chat Moss. This has the benefit of providing a standard half hourly service between Manchester Victoria and York. This being instead of a mix of different 15/30/45 minute gaps across the day as trains from different origin run in their respective paths.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Normal offpeak Waterloo to Poole services spend 25 to 27 minutes at Brockenhurst. But they also have 18 mins at Southampton shortly before getting to Brockenhurst.

”Never use the Poole train if going to Poole” is the general rule...

J-P_L

It’s all to do with the Covid Timetables and maintaining a 30 min frequency Victoria to York on the North TPE route.

The Newcastle to Liverpool trains run in the normal* path of the NCL-MIA trains through to Manchester Victoria and then picks up the path of what ordinarily would be the Newcastle to Liverpool trains through to Lime Street.

The xx:54 departure from Liverpool is usually* a Scarborough. This gives a longer turnaround at Liverpool to help with increased cleaning (giving 35 mins at Newcastle and around 50 mins at Liverpool). On the return running in the path of the LIV-SCA services as far as Vic and slotting back into the path of the MIA-NCL trains from Victoria giving a 30 min frequency.

1F66 is the oddity due to being extended to Liverpool in the latest uplift (supporting with crew competence on the 68/mk5a). It essentially runs in the path of a normal SCA-LIV service to York, with its dwell at York slotting it into the NCL-MIA path (the Newcastle originating Service terminates and starts back from York) and the same as above into the NCL-LIV path at Manchester Victoria.

If it didn’t there would be an xx:20 and XX:28 departure west from York with a 52 minute gap so the dwells help to maintain even frequency.

The Liverpool’s run in the path of the airports as the other route running fully are the Redcar-Airport trains which gives 30 mins (xx:20 and xx:50)

*=Normal pre-Covid timetable

Last edited:
I was the one on this service today, spent 3 times as long at Dundee than I did waiting at Arbroath for the same unit I got up there back south 31DD0CAF-C367-45B4-B97B-AF742EECA09F.jpeg

Established Member
If I remember correctly the Saturday EMR service to Scarborough has around 30 min wait at Sheffield.

Established Member
Once it runs 0550 Huddersfield to Kings Cross has a 24 min wait at Leeds as it couples to another unit to leave Leeds at 0640

SargeNpton

Established Member
2345 SX Paddington-Penzance has a 64 minute stop at Exeter St Davids.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
There used to be an early evening Newcastle to Glasgow via Dumfries 156 that stopped at Carlisle from around 18:45 - 19:15, however I note that this has now been stopped and changed to a Newcastle - Carlisle which connects with a Carlisle - Glasgow via Dumfries.

jfisher21

What’s the reason behind this length of dwell time?
39 past the hour Poole service from Waterloo is overtaken by the following 05 past the hour Weymouth service at Southampton, and is overtaken again at Brockenhurst by the following 35 past the hour Weymouth service. It enables local stations all along the route to have faster journey times by changing.

Tom

2B39 sits at Brockenhurst for a further 11 minutes than the other 2Bs that sit there due to it being a good crowd absorber as Brockenhurst college kicks out at around 1615-1620, which is a 5-10 min walk away.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
2B39 sits at Brockenhurst for a further 11 minutes than the other 2Bs that sit there due to it being a good crowd absorber as Brockenhurst college kicks out at around 1615-1620, which is a 5-10 min walk away.
I’m grateful to you for adding that info, trying to find a possible pathing reason was doing my head in... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.