• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Longest distance between two stations...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
In England? In Scotland? In Wales?

Reckon in Wales that it is possible that it's the fifteen or so miles between Fishguard Harbour and Clarbeston Road, which just beats the fourteen miles between Flint and Prestayn and the fourteen miles between Carmarthen and Whitland.

(Think that Welshpool to Shrewsbury and Abergavenny to Hereford are further, but they're technically cross-border).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

glynn80

Established Member
Lockerbie to Kirknewton at 65.5 miles (via the avoiding line at Carstairs)

me123

Established Member
That;s definitely the longest one on the network, and therefore obviously the longest in Scotland.

paul1609

Established Member
England: Ebbsfleet International to Ashford International 53 km or to Calais frethun if were including cross borders.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
On the Underground, six miles or so: Chalfont-Chesham.

Thanks for the replies so far, but reckon that it's actually less than four miles between Chalfont & Latimer and Chesham on the London Underground?

As regards the Network Rail system, isn't Penrith to Oxenholme a further distance between two stations in England than Ebbsfleet to Ashford Intl?

me123

Established Member
As regards the Network Rail system, isn't Penrith to Oxenholme a further distance between two stations in England than Ebbsfleet to Ashford Intl?

Penrith-Oxenholme is 32 miles 9 chains if that helps (source: CORE). So, Swindon-BPW is longer. Ebbsfleet-Ashford is about 33 miles, (comverted from 53km above).

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Can't have been far between Newhaven Harbour and (the now virtually closed) Newhaven Marine stations.

me123

Established Member
It's only 55 chains. But it's only 43 chains from Golf Street to Carnoustie.

djw1981

Established Member
A chain = 22 yards (approx 20m) therefore with a 12car thrain, the distance between the stations is only 1 and 2/3 trains.....

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
as some may know, especially Julian, BPW - Swindon feels like 50 miles :lol:

Can't think of much longer ones in England, I'd think maybe Donny to York but i doubt that's further than 30m.

shortest tube of course is Coven't Garden to Leicester Square.

How about the shortest expensive journey?
I'd vote for Dovercourt to Harwich Town, FC return over £3.00!

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Shortest? DLR, West India Quay to Canary Wharf- platform to platform it's 130m. Much longer walk at ground level, mind.

Most expensive is I think the Covent Garden-Leicester Square journey if you pay cash- £24.84/mile.

clagmonster

Established Member
On BR, Hayes & Harlington must be a contender, standard day single for £4.90, £1.31 per mile.

Oracle

Established Member
Chesham - Chalfont is in fact 3.89 miles or 6.26 km. hence my cock-up. The shortest distance used to be as quoted and also Northfields - South Ealing which were supposedly the same distance but if you consider the now-demolished wartime emergency exit/entrance to Northfields, the distance is halved.

scrapy

Established Member
I believe the shortest distance between stations on the same line is Manchester Oxford Road to Deansgate. 18 chains (LNW sectional appendix 6001)

Status
Not open for further replies.