Longest line of sight (UK)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Altrincham, 1 Oct 2016.

1. supersonic525

supersonic525 Member

DSC01110-1-01.jpeg This is Great Whernside, taken from Grenoside in Sheffield. It just pokes its head above the nearer hills!
    It's not that far away to be fair, but most local people don't believe you can see the Yorkshire Dales from Sheffield.

2. Altrincham

Altrincham Member

The view from Yr Eiffel looks like it would give a clear view of the Wicklow mountains. I’m not sure what a sea-level view would show but certainly from elevation on the Llyn Peninsula you can see Wicklow.

http://viewfinderpanoramas.org/panoramas/WAL/YR EIFL.png

3. Altrincham

Altrincham Member

That’s an incredible shot. Sheffield has some real gems of long-distance viewing in the right conditions. Night-time must offer some great views across the South Yorkshire/West Yorkshire conurbation too!

4. Comstock

Comstock Member

Has anyone done the view from the Emley Moor viewing platform.

Whilst not exactly open to the general public, quite a few people do get to go up there, and I think it's a bit higher than the Shard.

5. Peter Mugridge

Peter Mugridge Established Member

I believe @tellytype has been up there...

6. eMeS

eMeS Member

Beware
    Checking out a local line of sight across the Great Ouse Valley, I discovered that my spectacle frames quite seriously alter the compass bearing I was taking. I was using the early look-through sighting version of the Silva 4/54 military/expedition style compass, and to get good accuracy (~1degree), it's designed for the compass to be held at eye level and sighted through. Previous sightings had agreed closely with the bearing calculated from OS Grid References, whereas those taken with my new spec frames were very definitely affected by the closeness of the compass to my specs - 20 to 30 degree error! I note that my early version is no longer listed by Silva...

7. supersonic525

supersonic525 Member

Yes, the view is incredible from the higher parts. I've not taken any night shots yet, but will do.

I'll have a look for some of the other daytime shots I have, have an album of them somewhere!

8. Karl

Karl Member

While it's not a particularly long line of sight I thought this might be of interest from a lass I'm subscribed to. I'm impressed with the power of her zoom.

Southport viewed from Lytham St Annes.

9. Comstock

Comstock Member

10. randyrippley

randyrippley Established Member

while not in the Untied Kingdom, I would have thought the summit of Snaefell would be in with a chance of the longest sightlines given that you're looking out across the sea in all directions toward distant mountains in Wales, Ireland and Scotland

11. nlogax

nlogax Established Member

12. Altrincham

Altrincham Member

Here’s the link to the photo with all its full details from the photographer:

And here’s an amazing shot taken at night of the reverse view:

Attached Files:

13. Krukarius

Krukarius New Member

The furthest views from the Shard are:
    East:
    Dover Transmitter Mast - 98km
    South:
    South Downs National Park
    West:
    Didcot Powerplant - 80km
    Farleigh Walloop hill near Basingtoke - 78km
    North:
    Therfield Heat near Royston - 57km

Read more details here:
    http://www.mkrgeo-blog.com/at-the-top-of-the-shard/

14. Bald Rick

Bald Rick Veteran Member

That’s funny because I’ve seen the Shard from Therfield Heath!

15. Altrincham

Altrincham Member

That’s an incredible set of photos, and the weather conditions seem absolutely perfect. I’m particularly impressed with the chimney at Didcot being visible. Coincidently, that appears to be the last part of the power station that’s due for imminent demolition: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-50985093

16. Altrincham

Altrincham Member

If you’re on Instagram, there’s a fantastic photographer by the name of Joby Catto who has taken these incredible shots from a Manchester-bound aircraft. The photos were taken whilst holding to the west of Manchester, and show a snow-topped Snowdonia and, incredibly, a view across the Pennines to Cottam Power Station in Nottinghamshire.

Attached Files:

17. Krukarius

Krukarius New Member

I believe, that I would also see the North Wessex Downs near the Newbury (Woolton Hill) - 96km, however, the proximity of the Sun didn't let me identify this region properly.