• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Longest line of sight (UK)

Altrincham

Bootle fell from Southport promenade.
Drax power station from Denby Dale
It's incredible what can be seen from a north west seafront on a clear day. I recall seeing the Welsh mountains in the distance from Southport.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Many years ago during a drive around the Yorkshire Wolds we came across an unexpected view from what I think was Londesborough Hill looking broadly south. One distant structure stood proud but at the time we were unable to identify it. Later we worked out it had to be Lincoln Cathedral, some 75km/46.5ml away.

Lincoln Cathedral is an incredible sight from a distance. I've seen it from Newark.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Howardh

Established Member
So here is the solution: http://www.ringbell.co.uk/info/hdist.htm

Height = horizon
100 meters = 35,7 kilometers
500 = 79,9
1000 = 112,9
2000 = 159,7
3000 = 195,6

Thanks! Sadly, showing my age, I have to translate the m into ft. for height; I know how high a 3000' hill/mountain looks, but 1000m (er, treble it and add a bit....).
Better with Km on the ground though. Is someone who can handle both metric and imperial a metricsexual..impreiasexual...ambidextrous...we need a word....

Altrincham

Nice view from Matchmoor Lane tonight over Manchester. Pity about the dodgy camerawork!

Hopefully with the weather now getting crisper there'll be more opportunities for clear views like this.

How far do you think you can see at night (from here) based on urban lighting?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
(For the pedantic, obviously I couldn't see Lundy at night. That would probably be absurd.)

You can certainly see the lighthouses on Lundy at night from Pembrokeshire, as long as it is reasonably clear. (Acknowledging that is not the same as seeing Lundy itself at night!).

tsr

Established Member
You can certainly see the lighthouses on Lundy at night from Pembrokeshire, as long as it is reasonably clear. (Acknowledging that is not the same as seeing Lundy itself at night!).

You see, that's adding an extra level of "pedantic" which my line of sight did not extend to... :p

"I could not see the outline of Lundy, but it would be entirely plausible that I could see some sort of massive flashlight on the top of a large tower on Lundy."

Will that do? ;)

Last edited:

AJM580

Last year I did the walk up Scafell Pike - could see the hills in Dumfries and Galloway (about 40 miles) and the Yorkshire Dales (about the same). It's reckoned that in exceptional conditions you can see Snowdonia, and the coast of Northern Ireland, but on three visits the furthest I've got was a glimpse of Blackpool Tower. By train, Ely Cathedral stands out for many miles on the approach to Ely from March

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Wonderful isn't it, to think that the panorama from Winter Hill includes Snaefell and also the hills of Powys.

Matchmoor Lane must also have some great night-time views of the Greater Manchester conurbation.

Winter Hill, where one can simultaneously see the Welsh Hills, Irish Sea, Blackpool Tower, Lakeland fells, the Forest of Bowland, The Pennines, the Peak District and pretty much the entirety of Greater Manchester and Merseyside laid out before you. Possibly the most *diverse* view possible from anywhere in England?!

Calthrop

Established Member
Rather "old hat", I suppose; but, the renowned thing about the view from the top of Snaefell in optimum clear-weather conditions -- when one can see England (Cumbrian coast / Lake District), Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales (Snowdonia), and the Irish Republic (Wicklow Mountains). I've been up Snaefell three times; but the best I've ever done -- on only one of those -- was England / Scotland / N.I.

Altrincham

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    114.7 KB · Views: 107

Altrincham

Winter Hill, where one can simultaneously see the Welsh Hills, Irish Sea, Blackpool Tower, Lakeland fells, the Forest of Bowland, The Pennines, the Peak District and pretty much the entirety of Greater Manchester and Merseyside laid out before you. Possibly the most *diverse* view possible from anywhere in England?!

Completely agree about Winter Hill. I don't think there's another vantage point in England from where you'd be able to see all of the following from a single spot:

at least 2 major cities;
the highest point in England;
the highest point in Wales;
the highest point in Derbyshire;
the highest point in Shropshire;
the highest point in North Yorkshire;
the Isle of Man.

route101

Established Member
Pretty sure ive seen the Welsh mountains from Blackpool.
Goatfell on Arran is visable from Higher areas around Glasgow .
From Highest ground just outside East Kilbride i can see Tinto and the Pentland Hills . not sure if Arthurs seat can be seen.
On the mull of Galloway , Northern Ireland , Cumbria and Isle Of man is visible.
On a clear day from Ayr you can see Mull of Kintyre .
Higher parts of Ayrshire eg the Fenwick moor , mull of kintyre , ailsa craig and Northern Ireland is visable.

Altrincham

Pretty sure ive seen the Welsh mountains from Blackpool.
Goatfell on Arran is visable from Higher areas around Glasgow .
From Highest ground just outside East Kilbride i can see Tinto and the Pentland Hills . not sure if Arthurs seat can be seen.
On the mull of Galloway , Northern Ireland , Cumbria and Isle Of man is visible.
On a clear day from Ayr you can see Mull of Kintyre .
Higher parts of Ayrshire eg the Fenwick moor , mull of kintyre , ailsa craig and Northern Ireland is visable.

Yes, there's a good chance of seeing the Welsh mountains from Blackpool. The mountains are usually visible from Blackpool when there's low pressure in the atmosphere, meaning no haze.

On the subject of Goatfell on Arran, some pretty good panoramas to be had in all directions.

Looking north:

http://viewfinderpanoramas.org/panoramas/ISL/Arran-GOATFELL-N.gif

Looking south:

http://viewfinderpanoramas.org/panoramas/ISL/Arran-GOATFELL-S.gif

Howardh

Established Member
Same tack, different question - what's the furthest point from the sea that you can see the sea? (and the snee snells on the snee snore no doubt....)

No idea myself, but locally the tops of the Pennines to the east of Manchester are in range, so on a VERY clear day??

Last edited:
I have no idea how far you can see, but you get a hell of a view from the top of the keep at Cardiff Castle, especially looking away from the city centre. The view includes, as the sign at the top points out, 2 other castles!

The steep, narrow spiral staircases to get there are fun, too!

Harbornite

Established Member
On a good day, the wicklow mountains can be seen from the north coast of the Llyn peninsula.

What's the longest view from anyone's house?

I'll open with 45 miles due north to The Cheviot - although I have an advantage living at almost 900ft asl in the north of County Durham.

Also seen The Cheviot from Scafell Pike with no problem - it helped that both were covered in snow at the time!

Last edited:

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Not at all the longest.

But quite a good range of view though from the Top of Glastonbury Tor https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glastonbury_Tor

Well as long as the weather is perfectly clear though.

Similarly not the most furthest views, but I'd also recommend Coombe Hill at Wendover looking out across the Vale of Aylesbury; and the plethora of views available from the various hills in the Malverns above Great Malvern and Colwall. Both within walking distance of railway stations too.

johnnychips

Established Member
Completely agree about Winter Hill. I don't think there's another vantage point in England from where you'd be able to see all of the following from a single spot:

at least 2 major cities;
the highest point in England;
the highest point in Wales;
the highest point in Derbyshire;
the highest point in Shropshire;
the highest point in North Yorkshire;
the Isle of Man.

You will not be able to see the highest point in Derbyshire. You will be able to see Kinder Scout plateau, but the actual 'summit' stands in the centre/south of this plateau, and is quite difficult to find on the ground unless you pace it.

I wonder if you could see Shining Tor, the highest point in Cheshire, though, or is something in the way?

Last edited:

Howardh

Established Member
What's the longest view from anyone's house?

I'll open with 45 miles due north to The Cheviot - although I have an advantage living at almost 900ft asl in the north of County Durham.

Also seen The Cheviot from Scafell Pike with no problem - it helped that both were covered in snow at the time!

If I climbed up to the top of the roof I should be able to see the North Wales mountains, which is knocking on for 50 miles. Again, it's a high location 550' but from the bedroom there are other houses in the way. Through a gap I can see Fiddler's Ferry power station.

johnnychips

Established Member
Same tack, different question - what's the furthest point from the sea that you can see the sea? (and the snee snells on the snee snore no doubt....)

No idea myself, but locally the tops of the Pennines to the east of Manchester are in range, so on a VERY clear day??

You can easily see Drax power station on a clear day from the hills above Sheffield so I suppose with a very good pair of binoculars you could see the Humber, which is tidal. I think the 'horizon' calculation precludes seeing the 'proper' sea near Cleethorpes or Spurn Point, and anyway the Yorkshire/Lincolnshire Wolds would block it, unless the relatively small gap caused by the Humber could allow it.

From my school just west of Doncaster, 100m above sea level, you can just see the top of the Humber Bridge by eye on a clear day if you know exactly where to look for it, so that might back up the impossibility.

I'm sure I read somewhere that it is impossible to see the North and Irish Sea from the same point, though you would think somewhere like Cross Fell in Cumbria would have a chance. I wonder what would happen if you could climb to the top of Holme Moss TV mast on the moors above Holmfirth?

Last edited:

Howardh

Established Member
Thanks for the links! Think the best view would be from Snaefell!!

They used to have beacons on top of hills to announce things like royal births, royal deaths, abdications, England all-out before tea, that sort of thing.

Wonder, on the basis of line-of-sight, what would be the least required from the Channel to the north coast of Scotland?

That's your homework, on my desk tomorrow morning...

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thanks for the links! Think the best view would be from Snaefell!!

They used to have beacons on top of hills to announce things like royal births, royal deaths, abdications, England all-out before tea, that sort of thing.

Wonder, on the basis of line-of-sight, what would be the least required from the Channel to the north coast of Scotland?

That's your homework, on my desk tomorrow morning...

That's a great question, but it's half term and my mates are calling for me in a minute :)

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Is it cheating if I claim the Andromeda galaxy M31? About 2½ to 3 million light years away...

It is, after all, a direct naked eye line of sight from my house as long as the sky is clear and there is no moonlight...

DaleCooper

Established Member
Is it cheating if I claim the Andromeda galaxy M31? About 2½ to 3 million light years away...

It is, after all, a direct naked eye line of sight from my house as long as the sky is clear and there is no moonlight...

That reminds me of when I told my optician that I was short-sighted:

Optician - "Look out of that window, what can you see?"
Me - "Just the sun"
Optician - "Well how far do want to see?"

Howardh

Established Member
That reminds me of when I told my optician that I was short-sighted:

Optician - "Look out of that window, what can you see?"
Me - "Just the sun"
Optician - "Well how far do want to see?"

Not a Lancashire optician then :(

Altrincham

You will not be able to see the highest point in Derbyshire. You will be able to see Kinder Scout plateau, but the actual 'summit' stands in the centre/south of this plateau, and is quite difficult to find on the ground unless you pace it.

I wonder if you could see Shining Tor, the highest point in Cheshire, though, or is something in the way?

According to Viewfinder Panorama it is possible to see Kinder Scout from Winter Hill (31 miles summit-to-summit).

http://viewfinderpanoramas.org/panoramas/ENG/WINTER.GIF
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
On a good day, the wicklow mountains can be seen from the north coast of the Llyn peninsula.
I seem to recall seeing the Wicklow Mountains from South Stack on Anglesey but it must have been a rarity as I've been to South Stack recently and saw nothing but a hazy horizon to the west.

Last edited:

Harbornite

Established Member

That is a good point, not to mention the fact that a good telescope opens up more opportunities.