• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Longest line of sight (UK)

supersonic525

DSC01110-1-01.jpeg This is Great Whernside, taken from Grenoside in Sheffield. It just pokes its head above the nearer hills!
It's not that far away to be fair, but most local people don't believe you can see the Yorkshire Dales from Sheffield.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Altrincham

I have a memory from many years ago of standing with my dad somewhere on the Lleyn Peninsula in Wales and him pointing out that you could see the Wicklow Hills in Ireland. My amateur check suggests that this should be very possible - the probable location in Wales was Rhiw Mountain (301m), from which it is about 115 km to Lugnaquilla (925m) in the Wicklows. Can anybody confirm that this is doable - and has anyone got a photo?

Looking at the map (which I should have done before) I don't think it could have been Rhiw Mountain because I can remember sea in the foreground - so more likely Mynydd Mawr right at the tip of Lleyn which is much lower (~160m)

The view from Yr Eiffel looks like it would give a clear view of the Wicklow mountains. I’m not sure what a sea-level view would show but certainly from elevation on the Llyn Peninsula you can see Wicklow.

http://viewfinderpanoramas.org/panoramas/WAL/YR EIFL.png

Altrincham

View attachment 70900 This is Great Whernside, taken from Grenoside in Sheffield. It just pokes its head above the nearer hills!
It's not that far away to be fair, but most local people don't believe you can see the Yorkshire Dales from Sheffield.

That’s an incredible shot. Sheffield has some real gems of long-distance viewing in the right conditions. Night-time must offer some great views across the South Yorkshire/West Yorkshire conurbation too!

Comstock

Has anyone done the view from the Emley Moor viewing platform.

Whilst not exactly open to the general public, quite a few people do get to go up there, and I think it's a bit higher than the Shard.

eMeS

Beware
Checking out a local line of sight across the Great Ouse Valley, I discovered that my spectacle frames quite seriously alter the compass bearing I was taking. I was using the early look-through sighting version of the Silva 4/54 military/expedition style compass, and to get good accuracy (~1degree), it's designed for the compass to be held at eye level and sighted through. Previous sightings had agreed closely with the bearing calculated from OS Grid References, whereas those taken with my new spec frames were very definitely affected by the closeness of the compass to my specs - 20 to 30 degree error! I note that my early version is no longer listed by Silva...

supersonic525

That’s an incredible shot. Sheffield has some real gems of long-distance viewing in the right conditions. Night-time must offer some great views across the South Yorkshire/West Yorkshire conurbation too!

Yes, the view is incredible from the higher parts. I've not taken any night shots yet, but will do.

I'll have a look for some of the other daytime shots I have, have an album of them somewhere!

Karl

On Moderation
While it's not a particularly long line of sight I thought this might be of interest from a lass I'm subscribed to. I'm impressed with the power of her zoom.

Southport viewed from Lytham St Annes.

randyrippley

Established Member
while not in the Untied Kingdom, I would have thought the summit of Snaefell would be in with a chance of the longest sightlines given that you're looking out across the sea in all directions toward distant mountains in Wales, Ireland and Scotland

Altrincham

I hope this hasn't been shared earlier up the thread, but....Winter Hill to the IoM by way of Blackpool and a wind farm.

https://www.lep.co.uk/whats-on/entertainment/here-s-why-this-picture-is-not-fake-1-7838348

Here’s the link to the photo with all its full details from the photographer:

From a slightly different angle on Winter Hill, I have found a link to a photo that shows snow on top of Snaefell taken from Winter Hill:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59251448@N04/25708799453

And here’s an amazing shot taken at night of the reverse view:

The same photographer has captured this incredible shot from the other way round - Winter Hill and Blackpool Tower at night FROM the Isle of Man!!!

Attachments

• 63BF27F7-007F-4B05-9598-3EA583B58A72.jpeg
    63BF27F7-007F-4B05-9598-3EA583B58A72.jpeg
    281.7 KB · Views: 61

Krukarius

A quick look at the map and some areas of the North Wessex Downs could be candidates ie Walbury Hill.
The furthest views from the Shard are:
East:
Dover Transmitter Mast - 98km
South:
South Downs National Park
West:
Didcot Powerplant - 80km
Farleigh Walloop hill near Basingtoke - 78km
North:
Therfield Heat near Royston - 57km

Read more details here:
http://www.mkrgeo-blog.com/at-the-top-of-the-shard/

Altrincham

The furthest views from the Shard are:
East:
Dover Transmitter Mast - 98km
South:
South Downs National Park
West:
Didcot Powerplant - 80km
Farleigh Walloop hill near Basingtoke - 78km
North:
Therfield Heat near Royston - 57km

Read more details here:
http://www.mkrgeo-blog.com/at-the-top-of-the-shard/

That’s an incredible set of photos, and the weather conditions seem absolutely perfect. I’m particularly impressed with the chimney at Didcot being visible. Coincidently, that appears to be the last part of the power station that’s due for imminent demolition: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-50985093

Altrincham

If you’re on Instagram, there’s a fantastic photographer by the name of Joby Catto who has taken these incredible shots from a Manchester-bound aircraft. The photos were taken whilst holding to the west of Manchester, and show a snow-topped Snowdonia and, incredibly, a view across the Pennines to Cottam Power Station in Nottinghamshire.

Attachments

• 3F4EABEC-18FC-4A8D-8F6B-23A478983196.jpeg
    3F4EABEC-18FC-4A8D-8F6B-23A478983196.jpeg
    311.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 36FDA8E5-2231-4D79-AEC2-2EEA92640F37.jpeg
    36FDA8E5-2231-4D79-AEC2-2EEA92640F37.jpeg
    265 KB · Views: 107
  • AF163B9B-71E0-43C0-8FAB-6E88E2CD2251.jpeg
    AF163B9B-71E0-43C0-8FAB-6E88E2CD2251.jpeg
    216.4 KB · Views: 103

Krukarius

I believe, that I would also see the North Wessex Downs near the Newbury (Woolton Hill) - 96km, however, the proximity of the Sun didn't let me identify this region properly.

Altrincham

Conditions were very favourable today from Blackpool for this local photographer who captured the northern peaks of Snowdonia very clearly from Blackpool (posted on Twitter):

Attachments

• 840713AF-BB29-4FB0-B473-662731F053C7.jpeg
    840713AF-BB29-4FB0-B473-662731F053C7.jpeg
    379.6 KB · Views: 107

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Conditions were very favourable today from Blackpool for this local photographer who captured the northern peaks of Snowdonia very clearly from Blackpool (posted on Twitter):

Yep similar to the view I get from Lytham on a good day (when I’m there).

Enthusiast

I once stayed in a pub in Derbyshire, not far from Bakewell. It was 1,600 feet above sea level (so I was told). It was said you could see (I cannot recall the exact number but it doesn't matter) five counties. It began raining half an hour before I reached the pub. It was still raining when I left three days later. The cloud base was about 1,000 feet for most of that time and in fact I don't believe I ever saw the other side of the road from my bedroom window all the time I was there.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I once stayed in a pub in Derbyshire, not far from Bakewell. It was 1,600 feet above sea level (so I was told). It was said you could see (I cannot recall the exact number but it doesn't matter) five counties. It began raining half an hour before I reached the pub. It was still raining when I left three days later.
If this was the "Cat and Fiddle" pub on the A537 Macclesfield> Buxton road, I'm not at all surprised. Can be notoriously "claggy" up there!

route101

Established Member
Could see Tinto Hill in one direction in the Bordersand Goatfell on Arran from high ground betweej East Kilbride and Glasgow other day.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
I hope this hasn't been shared earlier up the thread, but....Winter Hill to the IoM by way of Blackpool and a wind farm.

https://www.lep.co.uk/whats-on/entertainment/here-s-why-this-picture-is-not-fake-1-7838348

That's mad, you can even see the aerial on top of Snaefell.

Not to the same standard, but my photo of the Mourne Mountains taken with a smartphone from above Kirk Michael shows how far you can see.

Also views of the Cumbria fells from sea level at the Point of Ayre

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1590097076919.jpg
    FB_IMG_1590097076919.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 20200427_124129.jpg
    20200427_124129.jpg
    1,023.2 KB · Views: 46

Scotrail314209

Established Member
1592627911556.png

Taken at the seafront at Saltcoats, Scotland. Visible in the very background are the Paps of Jura, roughly 80 miles away. I wonder how I could see these, but not the coast of Northern Ireland. Returning on another day I was able to notice the tip of Galloway.

I also believe from the 10th floor of City of Glasgow College you can see all across the City Centre and further out.

Altrincham

Taken at the seafront at Saltcoats, Scotland. Visible in the very background are the Paps of Jura, roughly 80 miles away. I wonder how I could see these, but not the coast of Northern Ireland. Returning on another day I was able to notice the tip of Galloway.

I also believe from the 10th floor of City of Glasgow College you can see all across the City Centre and further out.

That’s a great line of sight to Jura, and from sea level too. Is it usually possible to see Northern Ireland from Saltcoats?

Scotrail314209

Established Member
That’s a great line of sight to Jura, and from sea level too. Is it usually possible to see Northern Ireland from Saltcoats?

I’m not too sure, I think it’s rare but if you look in the right direction on a very clear day, you might be able to see something

route101

Established Member
View attachment 79740

Great pic. Ive seen the Paps of Jura before but cant place where from !

You can see Northern Ireland from further down the Ayrshire coast im sure. I think ive seen NI when coming down the A77 from Kilmarnock. You can certainly see the Mull of Kintyre from Ayr.

Good view from the new college, you get a good view to SW , with Hamilton and Tinto visable.

Up on the edge of East Kilbride i got a good view of Tinto and Goatfell on Arran

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Great pic. Ive seen the Paps of Jura before but cant place where from !

You can see Northern Ireland from further down the Ayrshire coast im sure. I think ive seen NI when coming down the A77 from Kilmarnock. You can certainly see the Mull of Kintyre from Ayr.

Good view from the new college, you get a good view to SW , with Hamilton and Tinto visable.

Up on the edge of East Kilbride i got a good view of Tinto and Goatfell on Arran

I’m pretty sure from the Cathkin Braes in Glasgow you can see quite far around you, can’t remember how far as I’ve not been there in a while