• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Longest non stop run in the UK? (and Europe if anyone knows)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comstock

Hi there, apologies if this has been asked before. What is the longest non stop run in the UK? I've got a feeling some trains run non stop from London to York or Preston on the ECML/WCML respectively.

But that could be wrong.

Does anyone know?

(and if anyone knows of a longer non stop run on the continent, that might be interesting as well?)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pemma

Veteran Member
Longest non-stop run starting in the UK is possibly the non-stop London to Paris trains.

I wonder if the longest non-stop run in Europe is one of the long overnight sleepers. I know there's a Moscow to Berlin sleeper, I'm not sure of the stopping pattern though.

I thought it was the 0540 Edinburgh-Kings Cross, non-stop from Newcastle to Kings Cross (268 miles). Though I have not looked at the whole timetable yet...

thenorthern

Established Member
Ah. I thought all London to Newcastle on Tyne services called at York as a minimum. But I could well be wrong!

I think there are about 2 trains per day that don't I know the 0540 Edinburgh to London Kings Cross only stops at Newcastle.

Comstock

OK, well that would certainly take some beating!!

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Longest non-stop run starting in the UK is possibly the non-stop London to Paris trains.

Frustratingly Google maps gives London to Paris and London to Newcastle *by road* both as 288 miles!! (give me Geordieland anyday!!)

Which is further by rail isn't clear, but it's likely to be close!!

Kentish Paul

As a matter of interest when were the last London to Edinburgh non stops run?
Were there ever London to Glasgow non stops?
As a long time resident of Penzance we could only dream of a non stop service to Paddington.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think there are about 2 trains per day that don't I know the 0540 Edinburgh to London Kings Cross only stops at Newcastle.

There is only one train per day that does Newcastle to Kings Cross non-stop. Everything else in both directions calls at York and nearly everything else (apart from possibly one service on a Saturday) calls at Darlington.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
In terms of the continent, because of its low population density, I'd say France was a good bet.

I don't know if they still do it, but back in the 70s, SNCF used to run three trains a day Paris Austerlitz - Bordeaux non stop. I always used to miss the morning departure (Night Ferry got in to Nord more or less as it was departing Austerlitz), so had to hang around until about 13.30, IIRC.
I don't know the distance, but it was a fair old way, and I think the line speed was 200 kmph at the time. We used to role into Bordeaux at around 17.00 IIRC. Lovely run in the summer sun, through places like Angolueme - lovely long bend through that station - always wanted to visit the place.

Only realised because of the OP's question that it was probably the longest non-stop run I've ever been on.

thenorthern

Established Member
As a matter of interest when were the last London to Edinburgh non stops run?
Were there ever London to Glasgow non stops?
As a long time resident of Penzance we could only dream of a non stop service to Paddington.

I would think they ended with the withdrawal of steam as I don't think there is a way of switching drivers on a diesel/electric train by putting it in auto pilot.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Frustratingly Google maps gives London to Paris and London to Newcastle *by road* both as 288 miles!! (give me Geordieland anyday!!)
Which is further by rail isn't clear, but it's likely to be close!!

The European Rail Timetable gives St Pancras-Paris Nord on Eurostar as 492km, with King's Cross-Newcastle at 432km.
The Eurostar route via LGV Nord goes the long way round via Lille, a more direct route (following the autoroutes) goes via Lens and is a good bit shorter.

Paris-Bordeaux is 570km, Paris-Marseille is 750km, both of which are run non-stop several times a day.
I once used a Paris-Nice TGV which was first stop Toulon (817km, 508 miles, avoiding Marseille).
That's about the same as London-Edinburgh-Stonehaven.
Today's similar trains call at Avignon, which breaks the long non-stop run.

In Spain, Madrid-Malaga on AVE is 513km, Madrid-Barcelona is 621km.
In Italy, Milan-Rome is 568km.
All run non-stop on high-speed lines.
The Germans tend to stop at major cities en route, so don't have the same long non-stop options.
PS Having said that, there are a couple of fast services between Frankfurt and Berlin which is 559km to the first stop at Berlin Spandau.
Anyway, we seem to come 5th or lower in the European non-stop league, but possibly top where the route is a classic one.
I'm not sure that is a record to write home about...

Sorry, just discovered Gothenburg-Stockholm is 455km and is run non-stop a couple of times a day; this is a classic line, and longer than Newcastle-King's Cross.

Last edited:

Comstock

I've done Paris to Nimes non stop. 486.5 miles - in 3 hours.

That's fast. Very fast. I make it just north of 160 mph.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The European Rail Timetable gives St Pancras-Paris Nord on Eurostar as 492km, with King's Cross-Newcastle at 432km.
The Eurostar route via LGV Nord goes the long way round via Lille, a more direct route (following the autoroutes) goes via Lens and is a good bit shorter.

Thanks. So not that close then, by rail at least.

Gemz91

Paris-Bordeaux is 570km, Paris-Marseille is 750km, both of which are run non-stop several times a day.
I once used a Paris-Nice TGV which was first stop Toulon (817km, 508 miles, avoiding Marseille).
That's about the same as London-Edinburgh-Stonehaven.
Today's similar trains call at Avignon, which breaks the long non-stop run.

In Spain, Madrid-Malaga on AVE is 513km, Madrid-Barcelona is 621km.
In Italy, Milan-Rome is 568km.
All run non-stop on high-speed lines.
The Germans tend to stop at major cities en route, so don't have the same long non-stop options.

I'll be travelling Marseille to Paris by train during Euro 2016 in the summer, for some reason I'm now quite excited at the prospect of it being non stop.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hi there, apologies if this has been asked before. What is the longest non stop run in the UK? I've got a feeling some trains run non stop from London to York or Preston on the ECML/WCML respectively.

But that could be wrong.

Does anyone know?

(and if anyone knows of a longer non stop run on the continent, that might be interesting as well?)

1E01 (0540 Edinburgh to London Kings Cross, between Newcastle and Kings Cross) is the longest non-stop run in the UK.

Veteran Member
I'll be travelling Marseille to Paris by train during Euro 2016 in the summer, for some reason I'm now quite excited at the prospect of it being non stop.

There are only 2 a day northbound, 0840 and 1840, with the rest stopping at Aix and Avignon, so you may have to settle for a mere 657km.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
There is only one train per day that does Newcastle to Kings Cross non-stop. Everything else in both directions calls at York and nearly everything else (apart from possibly one service on a Saturday) calls at Darlington.

That'll be 1E98 on a Sunday, 1220 Edinburgh-London, calls Morpeth, Durham, York and Grantham. Very odd pattern indeed.

Comstock

According to The Man At Seat 61 the 00:35 Trans Siberian runs non stop from Moscow to Perm which is 1,397 km and takes a very leisurely 26 and 3/4 hours over it.

Thats just 52 km/h or 30 odd mph in old money. I can't believe they don't stop somewhere, perhaps many times, for it to be that slow, but that is what the website says.

http://www.seat61.com/Trans-Siberian.htm#.VxuoBPkrLIU

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Long overnight runs almost invariably have staff/operational stops which don't appear in public timetables. A check on RTT will show that even our own Caledonian Sleepers tend to stop at either Warrington or Preston. My own experience of them on ECML diversions suggests similar stops at two of Peterborough, Doncaster and Newcastle. The Trans-Siberian example would need at least 2 intermediate stops as I can't imagine even the Russians working train drivers over 12 hours continuously.

Having had a look at some online journey planners I would suggest that Paris-Marseilles is the winner, as described upthread.

SouthDevonian

In 1967 I went on the night sleeper from KX to Aberdeen which had Inverkeithing as the first advertised stop (about 406 miles). However two vans were dropped off at Newcastle and the Deltic was changed at Waverley station for a Class 40.

In 2008 I took a Paris - Nice TGV with first stop Aix-en-Provence. At the time of booking there were some 1st class tickets that were cheaper than standard so I had an upper deck 1st class single for £35. Some of the Paris - Marseille TGVs were non stop which was still further.

backontrack

Established Member
That'll be 1E98 on a Sunday, 1220 Edinburgh-London, calls Morpeth, Durham, York and Grantham. Very odd pattern indeed.

Is it weird that, having only just read about it, I really want to get that train? :lol:

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
What about longest regular (say once a week or more?) non stop run by each TOC in the UK? I'm fairly sure it's been covered on here before but franchises change, timetables change and answers change.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
The fastest Beijing- Shanghai trains (e.g G1-4h48m) which do the journey sub 5 hours run non stop Beijing Nan to Nanjing Nan- a distance of over 1000KM in around 3h 40m.

higthomas

What about longest regular (say once a week or more?) non stop run by each TOC in the UK? I'm fairly sure it's been covered on here before but franchises change, timetables change and answers change.

For South West trains I think its Waterloo to Winchester.
I'm not sure if Southern still have any Brighton flyers anymore, so it might be Victoria to Haywards heath or something.
GWR I'd have thought it would be Reading to Exeter.
GTR perhaps the Cambridge flyers?
GA probably London to Ipswich. I think all the Norwich trains call there? Although perhaps Norwich to Ipswich might be further?
Southeaster, probably St Pancras to Ashford, although I'm not version I if that's a thing.
ATW I'd guess it would be one of the longer stretches on Gerald or whatever its called.

These are not definite, but only what I can remember pf the top of my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.