• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Longest Route on the Cheapest Ticket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkey

...I think mine was Leeds to Edinburgh via Carlisle for £7.25. I'm also doing Newcastle to Leeds next friday for £4.30 - amazing! :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EM2

Established Member
Kings Cross to Edinburgh for £11 and Edinburgh to Preston for £12 for next Wednesday.
Back in 2000, I also did Brighton to Abergavenny for about £8.
No railcard discounts, either.

Last edited:

Big Chris

£0 courtesy of the new year balls up on the WCML last year. Bangor to London Euston first class and back for nothing and a full refund on my orginal ticket :). I've had Newmarket to Preston (via London) for £10.80 think that was the cheapest per mile for a ticket I've had to pay for.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you exclude 'free' trips, either because there was no tickets sold, or you got a refund, or got given a free ticket, then you couldn't really beat the £1 tickets available only on Virgin Trains when Thetrainline was new in around 2001. The 0640 Class 47 from York was one particular train that had high availability on Saturdays. It was possible to do York-London by getting off this train at Tamworth, then getting a Class 87 (ex-Liverpool) to Euston. In the evening the best bet was via Brum for a HST. This was possible for £4 in total, and I did this once, but the WCML was closed on the return due to the wires being down as a result of severe weather conditions, so had to go via King's Cross, at considerable cost to Virgin.

OwlMan

Established Member
If you exclude 'free' trips, either because there was no tickets sold, or you got a refund, or got given a free ticket, then you couldn't really beat the £1 tickets available only on Virgin Trains when Thetrainline was new in around 2001. The 0640 Class 47 from York was one particular train that had high availability on Saturdays. It was possible to do York-London by getting off this train at Tamworth, then getting a Class 87 (ex-Liverpool) to Euston. In the evening the best bet was via Brum for a HST. This was possible for £4 in total, and I did this once, but the WCML was closed on the return due to the wires being down as a result of severe weather conditions, so had to go via King's Cross, at considerable cost to Virgin.

The best at present seem to be Megatrains Edinburgh - Birmingham for £1

Peter

route:oxford

Established Member
The best at present seem to be Megatrains Edinburgh - Birmingham for £1

Peter

Are they running again? Over the summer I thought they'd given up as I couldn't find any rail services between the two cities in either direction trying a broad range of dates.

monkey

^^yeah I've never seen that either. only done it once, and did it first class - cos was on my own and wanted the full works experience (which I didn't get, if anyone knows where my scotsman or hot brekkie went, please let me know)...

Established Member
EMT £10

East Mids parkway-London
London-Nottingham
Nottingham-Leicester
Leicester-Derby

must have saved about £100+

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Are they running again? Over the summer I thought they'd given up as I couldn't find any rail services between the two cities in either direction trying a broad range of dates.
I think the Megatrain map is wrong, like yourself I can never find Birmingham to Edinburgh tickets despite them being on the map. On the other hand there are plenty of very cheap tickets for Birmingham to London during the week even though that isn't on the map.

Last edited:

me123

Established Member
Mine would be Scotrail's £15 offer from Sainsbury's; go anywhere in Scotland for £15, so I went Glasgow-Inverness-Elgin-Aberdeen-Glasgow (with a stopover in Elgin) for a bargain £15. (3.3p a mile). I hope they bring it back in the Autumn again.

Not quite as impressive as Megatrain and other such ones listed here, though!

I've done Manchester-London for around a fiver on a number of occassions, simply by buying the advance single weeks in advance! Not bad for what is a great 2 hour journey.

nedchester

Established Member
Did Chester to London and back for £0 in June with the Daily Mirror offer. Can't get any cheaper than that!!

fgwrich

Established Member
Cheapest Pay on the day tickets ive come across recently are
with FGW - Basingstoke to Evesham was only £13.20 and Basingstoke to Worcester for only £16.50

Which compared to my other local operater, SWT, is brilliant! BSK to Evesham is a distance of roughly 90 miles, yet with SWT, £8.70 - less than 30 miles away and a London Travelcard is £15.50 - Basingstoke to london waterloo - 47 miles...Even BSK to Worcester is roughly 100 miles!

Whilst the best book in advance fare ive come across was £14 padd to liskeard last summer...and just checked the price again, now only Advance Single - £17.20 and in first class, First Advance Single £32.65 - for the £17 of oct...book roughly 1 month ahead and you do get some brilliant fares...

rich

Last edited:

Bee15_16

Edinburgh to Birmingham £1 on i think 13/10 gets into Birm at 11pm, kinda an unsociable time but still, £1 is £1 :P
£3 on the 12/10 i think.

fgwrich

Established Member
Did Chester to London and back for £0 in June with the Daily Mirror offer. Can't get any cheaper than that!!

Thinking about it...That cant be £0 becasue you still had to purchase the newspaper in the first place...

Thing is though...is this thread for Longest Route - Cheapest Ticket for pay on the day or all these different offers here there and everywhere?

monkey

^^for anything. I was going on advance tickets really, but yeah anyway will do I guess...:)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Thinking about it...That cant be £0 becasue you still had to purchase the newspaper in the first place...

Thing is though...is this thread for Longest Route - Cheapest Ticket for pay on the day or all these different offers here there and everywhere?

:D Made use of that promotion with a journey from Euston to Manchester and back, and certainly didn't have to buy a copy of the Daily Mirror.

Cheapest ticket available on the day that I can think of is £1.65 for a Cheap Evening ticket from one side of the GMPTE network to the other, say Appley Bridge to Marple/Strines.

Demps

So then are all of these tickets advanced purchase? months in advance...

TEW

Established Member
In general yes. Cheapest walk-on fare I know of is Penzance-Plymouth Off Peak Day Return, £9.50 for a 159 mile round trip.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Cheapest ticket available on the day that I can think of is £1.65 for a Cheap Evening ticket from one side of the GMPTE network to the other, say Appley Bridge to Marple/Strines.

That's a walk-up, pay on the day, off-peak fare, works out at just over 2.2 pence per mile for the 74 mile round-trip.

OwlMan

Established Member
That's a walk-up, pay on the day, off-peak fare, works out at just over 2.2 pence per mile for the 74 mile round-trip.

Or Coventry to Bloxwich North evening return £1-50 about 75 miles return travel, Or if there are 4 of you a evening group return for £4.

Last edited:

fireincairo

I managed Manchester Picadilly to Birmingham New Street for £2.65 over the late August bank holiday. They were still available the night before at that price!

What gets me is that my bus ticket into Manchester from where I live was £2.70.. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.