• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Longest station straight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
I have been spotting on the WCML a lot recently and I have noticed that some stations are on very long straights, this got me wondering; what station is has the greatest visibility? By this I mean which station is situated on the longest straight section of track with no curves?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Established Member
Thirsk is an intermediate station on the longest straight in the country.

Veteran Member
Redhill to Ashford is very straight

But not perfectly straight, even excluding both stations: if Googlemaps is correct, there is a slight deviation West of Edenbridge and another at Tonbridge, so it's roughly from Tudeley to Chart Leacon Depot (slightly more at both ends, so about 25 miles).

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Cook station, in the middle of the Nularbor Plain in Australia, is the only regular booked call on a 297-mile straight.

Of course, standing at ground level you can only see a couple of miles because of the curvature of the earth and there being no landmarks to see. So it is irrelevant, really.

richieb1971

Established Member
Cheddington is probably the station I would choose out of personal experience.

Established Member
Cook station, in the middle of the Nularbor Plain in Australia, is the only regular booked call on a 297-mile straight.

Of course, standing at ground level you can only see a couple of miles because of the curvature of the earth and there being no landmarks to see. So it is irrelevant, really.

Great answer :lol:

But you can buy a souvenir tea towel there, which is equally irrelevant as you wouldn't want to use it.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
No population at Cook any more. It is a 'ghost town'. The Indian Pacific (and freights) only call for crossing and rest purposes.

Established Member
Good job I bought my tea towel when I did then.

The approach to Diss from the Norwich direction is as straight as anything.

Last edited:

Boysteve

I thought Selby - Brough held that title.

It does, but only in the down direction (towards Hull). Therefore the Eastbound platform of Wressle, Howden, Eastrington, Gilberdye and Broomfleet all qualify for the answer sought.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Selby-Brough is 20-odd miles, York-Thirsk a bit more.

Yes York to Thirsk is 22 miles but it it not straight! Apart from the curvy first mile out from York there are then a few small bend/kinks in the track.

Deepgreen

Established Member
It does, but only in the down direction (towards Hull). Therefore the Eastbound platform of Wressle, Howden, Eastrington, Gilberdye and Broomfleet all qualify for the answer sought.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Yes York to Thirsk is 22 miles but it it not straight! Apart from the curvy first mile out from York there are then a few small bend/kinks in the track.

Especially on very hot days!

Status
Not open for further replies.