• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Longest time without sleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
In response to Techniquest: Glasgow is currently frozen over, it is near impossible for me to get to uni! I'll give you an update on the weather nearer the time :)

Oh dear, the MegaBash is going to turn into a MegaFarce then next week!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jord

44 hours I think.

04:30 on a Wednesday morning until about midnight-ish on Thursday night/Friday morning while obviously doing a Carlisle Overnighter 8) The hardest part was through the middle of the night at Carlisle then when I got home, after having a shower, I didn't feel tired and went on the computer to upload pictures/video then went to bed and slept for about 8 hours like usual :?

EDIT: although when I did the Alloa Alloer I was up about 10am on the Sunday because I went to Derby to bash Vals on the AXC HST to Bristol (also meeting Yorkie & Jim on board) then had about 2 hours on Temple Meads and I didn't fall asleep on the tour at all as I didn't even use my seat, was in the vestibules the whole time even behind the 37s and still doing heads out on the Crewe - Millerhill leg but not if we was going to fast, that was abit chilly! But between Newcastle - Drem loop we didn't seem to go faster than say 40mph :? but anyway, it must have been about 36 hours I stayed up then, alighted at Barnt Green and fell asleep in the car I was getting a lift back to my mates house who also did the tour, as soon as I got in the door I went straight to bed and slept then for about 5 hours as that mate then had work the next day so I got up and decided to veg at Water Orton all day (because I didn't have a key to get in my uncles house who was also working) so I was looking like one of the local veg there (I only had time for a wash when I got up so face must have been still black abit because of the clag from the 37s) then getting back to my uncles house I was staying at that night about 23:30 to have about 6 hours sleep because I my uncle gave me a lift to Wolverhampton station then I went upto Carlisle to do an allnighter, but I was so tired and cold in the morning at Carlisle, I got seriously ****ed off and had enough so went home, finally getting home about 6pm that night and going to bed sleeping for around 18 hours :lol:

Last edited:

Death

Established Member
I don't really keep notes, but my personal best is somewhere between 36 and 50 hours I think. :shock::D
Also: Last February, I took a three-day journey on Greyhound buses from San-Francisco to New York, and from what I can remember I slept for no more than eight hours total or so. :roll:

For me, Tesco Value coffee is my stimulant of choice whenever I'm doing any "long haul thrashing" for whatever reason. Strong doses (2-12 heaped teaspoons) taken in regulation are surprisingly efficient at keeping fatigue at bay! <D

O L Leigh

Established Member
For me, Tesco Value coffee is my stimulant of choice whenever I'm doing any "long haul thrashing" for whatever reason. Strong doses (2-12 heaped teaspoons) taken in regulation are surprisingly efficient at keeping fatigue at bay! <D

Beware of caffiene poisoning. It really should only be taken in moderation, otherwise you could end up having a trip to the hospital.

O L Leigh

Ilove165's

One weekend, I managed thursday-tuesday(86 hours?).....was playing GTA San Andreas non-stop

Sam

ungreat

One week..and by god did I regret it..my days of doing many unlawful substances to excess and other ****..I was ill for two weeks after it and it sort of told me to clean my act up...

that was a long time ago,but that week I tried many banned substances..suffice to say that week taught me a few lessons too!

Pumbaa

Established Member
Urm. A show I was working on went horribly wrong. Went Mon - curtain up on Weds without sleep. Finally crawled into a sleeping bag in the office in the early hours of Thurs morning. I don't know how long it was, adrenaline kept me going I think.

Doing a job that should have taken us 7 days in three. It hurt a lot.

Death

Established Member
Beware of caffiene poisoning. It really should only be taken in moderation, otherwise you could end up having a trip to the hospital.
Aye...Cheers for the advice man! I try to keep my caffiene intake to reasonable levels wherever possible, but I'm not helped much by the fact that I like the taste of strong, black coffee anyway and I normally take 1.5 spoons of it as a matter of course. If only Tesco did a Value decaf... :)
Just for reference: What are the signs of caffiene poisoning (If ye know them) and does it come on gradually, or does it hit ye like a 390 at full power? :shock:

Anyhow...I thought that I'd better post to say that - After being awake for bang on 36 hours up until last night - I've just emerged from an unexpected 21 hours of sleep...And I'm not exactly feeling that great at the moment. :shock:
Aside from a headache and a possible cold, I'm having a heck of a time even trying to think straight, I feel like I've downed an entire keg of Jack Daniels, and it's a real effort for me just to type properly at the moment...So I certainly can't say much for pulling "long-hauls" even though I normally do them quite often... :shock::roll::sad:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
So I'm not the only one who feels like s**t after a good sleep following a 'long-haul'. That's good to know. How I'll feel after next week's 3-day super-haul I just don't know!

12 'spoons of coffee, though...:shock: That sure is enough to drive one mad I'd say! :shock:

Not had caffeine poisioning as far as I know, but I'd reckon the effects could hit hard. The fall-out from several coffees within 24 hours sometimes is enough for me!

Death

Established Member
So I'm not the only one who feels like s**t after a good sleep following a 'long-haul'. That's good to know. How I'll feel after next week's 3-day super-haul I just don't know!
Assuming that thy physiology is similar to my own, I'd advise ye try and get the requisite amount of sleep in "bits", as opposed to either staying awake throughout (NOT advisable! :shock:) or trying to do it all on one 10-hour kip. :)

Assuming that ye'll be on board trains during overnight runs, that might be the best time to get 4-5 hours of rest in, and "top it up" with a one or two hour doze after lunch. 8)

Failing that, consider taking a sleeping bag, using a platform waiting room, and having one person stay awake as a watchman (This duty rotates across nights, or use two watchmen per night) to make sure that none of ye miss the first train of the day that ye'll no doubt be catching! <D

12 'spoons of coffee, though...:shock: That sure is enough to drive one mad I'd say! :shock:
For the most part, I take between 1.5 and 4 spoons in each coffee that I brew myself - More for the taste than the caffiene content. I don't think I've made myself anything stronger than six spoons over the past year though. :)

Not had caffeine poisioning as far as I know, but I'd reckon the effects could hit hard. The fall-out from several coffees within 24 hours sometimes is enough for me!
One of the main reasons I take my coffee so strong is because I seem to have built up rather a tolerance to it over the years. Whereas one spoon used to give me a nice "kick" to start the day, I now need a good three "two spooners" to even get me anywhere near awake! :shock::roll::|

Now the only question that remains for me is: How the smeg am I supposed to fit four Class 47's into my coffee mug? :roll::lol:<D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Assuming that thy physiology is similar to my own, I'd advise ye try and get the requisite amount of sleep in "bits", as opposed to either staying awake throughout (NOT advisable! :shock:) or trying to do it all on one 10-hour kip. :)

I do intend to doss on the coach up from London to Dundee, although knowing my luck I'll fall asleep sometime after Glasgow then get MegaPeeved when I need to wake up again. Might doss on the Highland Mainline though, since it's only a 170 and I've done it before. Want to be awake for the required track at least! The second night the sleep is intended to be on the N22 night buses between Edinburgh and Edinburgh Airport, followed by more doss on the coach to Manchester. So I have it all planned, although whether I will manage it I dunno. Got some Wellman tablets to assist with the staying-awake whilst on tour, they're bloody amazing at keeping me going.

Assuming that ye'll be on board trains during overnight runs, that might be the best time to get 4-5 hours of rest in, and "top it up" with a one or two hour doze after lunch. 8)

Tends to be the way I do it on a single overnighter, doss down in the afternoon. As I said above, on Megabus up the M6 the first night and the N22 from 0017 until about 0417 on the second. Would be nice if I could doss on trains all night, get the rail mileage in!

Failing that, consider taking a sleeping bag, using a platform waiting room, and having one person stay awake as a watchman (This duty rotates across nights, or use two watchmen per night) to make sure that none of ye miss the first train of the day that ye'll no doubt be catching! <D

I'll remember that for group overnighters, but I tend to go solo on overnighters. Strangely no-one tends to accompany me on the all-nighters. Can't imagine why, must be because they like their beds too much!

For the most part, I take between 1.5 and 4 spoons in each coffee that I brew myself - More for the taste than the caffiene content. I don't think I've made myself anything stronger than six spoons over the past year though. :)

Crikey, I thought I was a bit hardcore when I had a hugely heaped teaspoon in my coffee!

One of the main reasons I take my coffee so strong is because I seem to have built up rather a tolerance to it over the years. Whereas one spoon used to give me a nice "kick" to start the day, I now need a good three "two spooners" to even get me anywhere near awake! :shock::roll::|

See, I'm still in the newbie crowd when it comes to coffee. Unless I've been on massive all-nighters a solo single-spooner will do the job. Once I go past three of those, I find it hard to sleep again!

Now the only question that remains for me is: How the smeg am I supposed to fit four Class 47's into my coffee mug? :roll::lol:<D

That proposition flabbergasts me. How it would be possible remains to be seen! Anyone any good with Photobucket to fit 4 Duffs into a coffee mug? <D<D<D:lol::lol::lol:

Krispo

I somehow managed 40 hours, with a night on the ale without sleep included in the middle. God knows how i lasted so long.

djw1981

Established Member
In response to Techniquest: Glasgow is currently frozen over, it is near impossible for me to get to uni! I'll give you an update on the weather nearer the time :)

Wimp! Pish! Last Tuesday I got to clydebank for 7am without skyting off teh road anywhere, and Glasgow itself, including Uni Avenue was fairly well gritted and trains were running quite well.
:lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I don't really keep notes, but my personal best is somewhere between 36 and 50 hours I think. :shock::D
Also: Last February, I took a three-day journey on Greyhound buses from San-Francisco to New York, and from what I can remember I slept for no more than eight hours total or so. :roll:

That is more coffee flavoured oowder than actual coffee though!

Interestingly, in research carried out on rats (for reasons that will become apparent, this has not been conducted on humans), even very healthy rats die after 9 days without sleep due to ulcers, hair falling out, and liver damage, all just because they did not sleep.

Also, the human body clock, if it receives no external stimuli (i.e. down a mineshaft with no clock and only artificial light) runs on a 25 hour day, so after 2 weeks you are almost 12 hours out compared to the earth.

43003_IKB

Pushed 74 hours playing Call of Duty online a few years back. 72.5 hours of that was sat at the computer. The rest: The usual loo break and food stop. :roll::lol:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wimp! Pish! Last Tuesday I got to clydebank for 7am without skyting off teh road anywhere, and Glasgow itself, including Uni Avenue was fairly well gritted and trains were running quite well.
:lol:

I'll agree with that, everywhere I went yesterday was gritted well. Most trains ran OK too, although I did have a few 314s that were a few minutes late.

Wasn't amused with the Fort William sleeper though, heating wasn't on at all until after Ashfield. Apprarently the cables/pipes hadn't been connected properly and would be at the next stop (which was some stop at Ashfield which seemed a bit lengthy so maybe they fixed it there). Was freezing...Nice and quiet though, only me and another gentleman who also alighted at Westerton were in the MK2!

Status
Not open for further replies.