• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Longest words in the dictionary

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tom

(45) PNEUMONO­ULTRA­MICRO­SCOPIC­SILICO­VOLCANO­CONIOSIS (also spelled PNEUMONO­ULTRA­MICRO­SCOPIC­SILICO­VOLCANO­KONIOSIS) = a lung disease caused by breathing in particles of siliceous volcanic dust.
This is the longest word in any English dictionary. However, it was coined by Everett Smith, the President of The National Puzzlers' League, in 1935 purely for the purpose of inventing a new "longest word". The Oxford English Dictionary described the word as factitious. Nevertheless it also appears in the Webster's, Random House, and Chambers dictionaries.

(37) HEPATICO­CHOLANGIO­CHOLECYST­ENTERO­STOMIES = a surgical creation of a connection between the gall bladder and a hepatic duct and between the intestine and the gall bladder.
This is the longest word in Gould's Medical Dictionary.

(34) SUPER­CALI­FRAGI­LISTIC­EXPI­ALI­DOCIOUS = song title from the Walt Disney movie Mary Poppins.
It is in the Oxford English Dictionary.

"But then one day I learned a word
That saved me achin' nose,
The biggest word you ever 'eard,
And this is 'ow it goes:
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!"

(30) HIPPOPOTO­MONSTRO­SESQUIPED­AL­IAN = pertaining to a very long word.
From Mrs. Byrne's Dictionary of Unusual, Obscure and Preposterous Words.

(29) FLOCCI­NAUCINI­HILIPIL­IFICATION = an estimation of something as worthless.
This is the longest word in the first edition of the Oxford English Dictionary. Interestingly the most common letter in English, E, does not appear in this word at all, whilst I occurs a total of nine times. The word dates back to 1741. The 1992 Guinness Book of World Records calls flocci­nauci­nihili­pilification the longest real word in the Oxford English Dictionary, and refers to pneumono­ultra­micro­scopic­silico­volcano­koniosis as the longest made-up one.

(28) ANTI­DIS­ESTABLISH­MENT­ARIAN­ISM = the belief which opposes removing the tie between church and state.
Probably the most popular of the "longest words" in recent decades.

(27) HONORI­FICABILI­TUDINI­TATIBUS = honorableness.
The word first appeared in English in 1599, and in 1721 was listed by Bailey's Dictionary as the longest word in English. It was used by Shakespeare in Love's Labor's Lost

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dave A

34 = Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious - La la la la la la la la la la la la lala :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

jd

NOT the longest words in the German language:

1. Das Donaudampfgesellschaftskapitänmützensilbersternlein

2. Neunhundertneunundneunzigtausendneunhundertneunundneunzig

Tom B

Established Member
I think antidisestatblishmentarianism is the popular best as it's not a medical word or a chemical (which can be of pretty much infinite length). You can of course add suffixes and prefixes to make

contrapseudoantidisestablishmentarianistically

which, by the way, makes an excellent password as nobody will be able to type it in correctly. Including you ;).

The Snap

Established Member
There's a town in Wales which apparently takes 4 minutes to pronounce! :shock:

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
aye Llanfair PG would be it and being a welshy.... llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch - The church of St. Mary in the hollow of white hazel trees near the rapid whirlpool by St. Tysilio's of the red cave

there is also a little known one called... Gorsafawddachaidraigodanheddogleddollonpenrhynareurdraethceredigion - this being just an attempt at getting into the guiness book of records I believe!

RichardH said:
There's a town in Wales which apparently takes 4 minutes to pronounce! :shock:
Thats a bit extreme - it doesn't take that long!

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
ah so thats why I couldn't find a ticket when putting in the fullname to fgwtickets.co.uk lol :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.