• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Longton to Bridgend

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorisWiffWaff

I would like to be in Bridgend by 130pm on Saturday and return after 5pm. National Rail planner, shows a route via Birmingham and Bristol going and via Crewe coming back. A return of £69. I have no railcard.

My thought is going via Crewe both ways, so is there a sensible split on the ATW line to reduce the price.

My thought is 908 or 1008 from Crewe and 1727 back from Bridgend.

I'm not averse to doing the via Birmingham / Bristol both ways but in my experience the XC Stoke to Bristol service can be like a cattle truck! Only getting back as far as Stoke is fine too, if the Longton trains have finished for the day.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
How about:

Code:
Standard Class
£56.30
Saves £13.10 (18.9%)

LONGTON to SHREWSBURY
ANYTIME DAY R
Fare £16.40
Route ANY PERMITTED

SHREWSBURY to CWMBRAN
OFF-PEAK DAY R
Fare £27.20
Route ANY PERMITTED
Restriction (B5)

CWMBRAN to CARDIFF CENTRAL
ANYTIME DAY R
Fare £7.60
Route ANY PERMITTED

CARDIFF CENTRAL to BRIDGEND
OFF-PEAK DAY R
Fare £5.10
Route ANY PERMITTED
Restriction (B1)

BorisWiffWaff

Thanks for that, a good pointer. There seems to be a discrepancy at Shrewsbury:D

Longton to Shrewsbury £16.40
Shrewsbury to Bridgend £40.40

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP
Thanks for that, a good pointer. There seems to be a discrepancy at Shrewsbury:D

Longton to Shrewsbury £16.40
Shrewsbury to Bridgend £40.40

Hmmm. Just 50p more expensive than the list of splits above.

However, Shrewsbury to Bridgend only allows map BD (ie the Welsh Marches line through Hereford). Go back to Crewe and you start getting other routes available (such as via Birmingham then either Hereford, Gloucester or Bristol). So you are getting some more value for your higher fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.