• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Looking for advanced fares for 22nd April Man Picc to London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigy

When will they be released? I notice the 21st has the Open return price set a 77£ but the 22nd is an absured 300£+. Will it be tomorrow?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Nevermind. Site I'm using to booked was only offering me most expensive fares on a certain search. Found Open return for 77£

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wintonian

Established Member
Well £77.30 is Super off-peak return any permitted and the £308 is the Anytime return any permitted fare. If you hadn't worked it out.

In any-case Virgin advances are only available up-to the weekend of 23/4th March and 4th April (excluding 29th March & 1st April)

Last edited:

soil

Established Member
An open return means a flexible return.

You don't need to book in advance.

Advance fares are for specific trains.
Current booking horizon for Advances is 11th April

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/booking_horizons.html

An off-peak return, which is open but has the following time restrictions:

DEPART: LONDON EUSTON
Before 0430, between 0926 & 1500 (inc.) and at or after 1845.

ARRIVE: LONDON EUSTON
Before 0720 or at or after 1130.

These restrictions apply MONDAY to FRIDAY. By any train on other days.

is £77.30.

[[http://brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=1072&dest=MAN&grpd=0438&rlc= &rte=0&ldn=0&tkt=SVR]]

The £308 fare is the Anytime Return, which is unrestricted.

[[http://brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=1072&dest=MAN&grpd=0438&rlc= &rte=0&ldn=0&tkt=SOR]]

If you are looking to leave Euston before 9:26 on the 22nd, then that's not permitted on the Off-peak ticket, whereas it is permitted on the 21st, because the 21st is a Sunday, when there are no time restrictions.

What were your planned travel times?

Prodigy

Managed to book this -
Journey: 1 Manchester Piccadilly to London Euston @ £77.30
OFF-PEAK R £77.30 (1 @ £77.30)

Ticket type: Off Peak Return Valid on off-peak services by the route and Train operator shown. Return travel any day within 1 month.
Route: Via Any Permitted Route
Outward journey: 22 Apr 2013
Suggested service departs Manchester Piccadilly at 11:15 travel by Train service provider Virgin Trains to station London Euston arrives 13:23

Return journey: 23 Apr 2013

Does this mean I can board any train on the outward journey also?

wintonian

Established Member
What counts as super off peak?

Well for that ticket the following - it would help if you could be a little more specific with your requirements and what you are trying to do. ;)
Restriction Code: 2C

FOR TRAVEL TO OR VIA:
London Terminals, Milton
Keynes, Watford, Stevenage,
Reading, Kensington Olympia,
Bedford, Luton and Luton
Airport Parkway.

These restrictions apply
Monday to Friday. By any train
on other days.

For journeys to/via Birmingham
on Cross Country, use
restriction code 2V.

OUTWARD TRAVEL
You may travel on any train
that is scheduled to ARRIVE as
shown below:

RETURN TRAVEL
You may travel on any train
that is scheduled to DEPART as
shown below:

Before 0430 and between 0926
& 1500 (inclusive) and at or
after 1845.

ARRIVE: LONDON EUSTON
Before 0720 or at or after

DEPART: LONDON KING'S CROSS
Before 0300 & between 0906 &
1459 (inclusive) and at or
after 1859. Also allowed at or
after 1815 on Fridays.

ARRIVE: LONDON KING'S CROSS
Before 0430 & and at or after

DEPART: LONDON ST PANCRAS
INTERNATIONAL
Between 1026 & 1515 (inc.) and
at or after 1859.

ARRIVE: LONDON ST PANCRAS
INTERNATIONAL
At or after 1129

DEPART:LONDON LIVERPOOL STREET
Between 0931 & 1628 (inc.) and
at or after 1835. (see note
below)

ARRIVE: LONDON LIVERPOOL
STREET
At or after 1000.( see note
below )

ARRIVE:LONDON MARYLEBONE
At or after 1130.

DEPART: LONDON MARYLEBONE
Before 0630 and between 0900
& 1600, and at or after 1900.

DEPART: LONDON PADDINGTON
Between 0810 & 1640 or after
1831. (see note A below)

ARRIVE: LONDON PADDINGTON
At or after 1010.

DEPART: LONDON WATERLOO
At or after 0815

ARRIVE: LONDON WATERLOO
At or after 1000

DEPART: KENSINGTON OLYMPIA
Between 0915 & 1514 (inc.)
and at or after 1812.

ARRIVE: KENSINGTON OLYMPIA
At or after 1100

DEPART: BEDFORD
Before 0430 and at or after

ARRIVE: BEDFORD
At or after 0930

DEPART: LUTON/LUTON AIRPORT
PARKWAY
Between 0901 & 1629 (inc.) and
at or after 1859

ARRIVE: LUTON/LUTON AIRPORT
________PARKWAY
At or after 1004

DEPART: MILTON KEYNES CENTRAL
Before 0430 and at or after

ARRIVE: MILTON KEYNES CENTRAL
Before 0639 or at or after

DEPART: READING
Between 0835 & 1710 or after
1831. (see note A below)

ARRIVE: READING
At or after 0940

DEPART: STEVENAGE
Before 0300 between 0919 &
1507 (inclusive) and at or
after 1901. Also allowed at or
after 1835 on Fridays.

ARRIVE: STEVENAGE
Before 0400 & at or after 1055

DEPART: STRATFORD (LONDON)
At or before 1705 and at or
after 1855

ARRIVE: STRATFORD (LONDON)
At or after 1015

DEPART: WATFORD JUNCTION
Before 0430 and between 0938
& 1438 (inclusive) and at or
after 1838.

ARRIVE: WATFORD JUNCTION
Before 0644 and at or after

NOTE A:
Travel to all stations
Worcester Shrub Hill to
Hereford (via Oxford) is also
permitted on the 1722, 1750
and 1822 services from London
Paddington (1751,1823 and 1852
from Reading).
Travel to Gowerton and beyond
is also permitted on the 1745
London Paddington to
Carmarthen service (1812 from
Reading).
Travel to Newton Abbott and
beyond, and all stations
Newton St Cyres to Barnstaple,
is permitted on the 1803
London Paddington to Penzance
service (1833 from Reading).
Travel to Menheniot and beyond
is also permitted on the 1703
London Paddington - Penzance
service (1732 from Reading) on
FRIDAYS ONLY.

For Off-Peak travel via
Hereford, Oxford & Newport see
Restriction GK
For Super Off-Peak travel via
Hereford, Oxford & Newport see
Restriction 2Q.

Travel is permitted on the
0603 London to Birmingham New
Street and the 0500 & 0524
Wolverhampton to Euston.

Off-peak restrictions will not
apply on Virgin Trains
services from 29th March-1st
April inclusive.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
When will they be released? I notice the 21st has the Open return price set a 77£ but the 22nd is an absured 300£+. Will it be tomorrow?
Nevermind. Site I'm using to booked was only offering me most expensive fares on a certain search. Found Open return for 77£

But £308 is the price of the Open Return, which was renamed Anytime Return in 2008.

If by "open" you mean flexible tickets that do not tie you to a specific train, as explained above, you can purchase the £77.30 Off-Peak Return for travel at a time not restricted.

Advance fares are not yet on sale. Flexible walk-on fares purchased in advance instead of on the day do not save you money.

Subject to the time restrictions stated by soil above, yes.

Prodigy

But £308 is the price of the Open Return, which was renamed Anytime Return in 2008.

If by "open" you mean flexible tickets that do not tie you to a specific train, as explained above, you can purchase the £77.30 Off-Peak Return for travel at a time not restricted.

Advance fares are not yet on sale. Flexible walk-on fares purchased in advance instead of on the day do not save you money.

Subject to the time restrictions stated by soil above, yes.

Thanks. Not bothered about saving money. 77.30£ for me is a brilliant price for an off peak return. Ticket booked, thanks for info guys.

soil

Established Member
Managed to book this -
Journey: 1 Manchester Piccadilly to London Euston @ £77.30
OFF-PEAK R £77.30 (1 @ £77.30)

Ticket type: Off Peak Return Valid on off-peak services by the route and Train operator shown. Return travel any day within 1 month.
Route: Via Any Permitted Route
Outward journey: 22 Apr 2013
Suggested service departs Manchester Piccadilly at 11:15 travel by Train service provider Virgin Trains to station London Euston arrives 13:23

Return journey: 23 Apr 2013

You can board any train that complies with this:

Before 0430, between 0926 & 1500 (inc.) and at or after 1845.

If you try to board a train before 9:26 or between 15:04 and 18:44, then you will have to pay a hefty surcharge,

Of course you can do this journey on a cheaper ticket with different restrictions, such as

Oxford - Manchester Stations, Off-Peak Return, at £69.20, Route Any Permitted.

This ticket is restricted to trains leaving at or after 09:30 - there's no evening blackout, and it is permitted to start short on this ticket, at Euston - you don't need to travel from Oxford. Note however that ignorant rail staff may object to the use of such a ticket from London. Whether they would prefer similar alternatives, such as Slough - Manchester, Reading - Manchester, I have no idea.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Of course you can do this journey on a cheaper ticket with different restrictions, such as

Oxford - Manchester Stations, Off-Peak Return, at £69.20, Route Any Permitted.

This ticket is restricted to trains leaving at or after 09:30 - there's no evening blackout, and it is permitted to start short on this ticket, at Euston - you don't need to travel from Oxford. Note however that ignorant rail staff may object to the use of such a ticket from London. Whether they would prefer similar alternatives, such as Slough - Manchester, Reading - Manchester, I have no idea.

Health warnings apply, judging by previous experiences.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Thanks. Not bothered about saving money. 77.30£ for me is a brilliant price for an off peak return. Ticket booked, thanks for info guys.

It's very far in advance to be booking - as noted above this ticket (as with any "open" aka walk-on ticket) will be the same price on the day as booked in advance. If your plans change and you no longer need to travel, or to travel out on a different day, you'll be charged a £10 admin fee to refund the ticket.

Reservations are only available up to the 11th April with Virgin (check here), so you won't get reserved seats with your ticket (you can reserve seats later on if you wish though, there's no charge with Virgin IIRC).

calc7

Established Member
Agreed - much less likely to be challenged but the lack of a (non-essential, I know) Maltese Cross in front of Any Permitted may still see some (incorrect) challenges from eagle-eyed ticket inspectors (who may then put origin and destination into their Avantix Mobile, spot a +Via London ticket and let 2+2=5)

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When will they be released?
You may find this thread helpful :) I realise you've now gone for an Off Peak return but you may find it helpful for future reference.

To those advising cheaper tickets, please bear in mind...
Thanks. Not bothered about saving money.
... there are a significant number of people who think that "no maltese cross = not valid via London", yes we all know it isn't true, yes the Routeing Guide makes this clear, but you can expect to be challenged by some people who are not so knowledgeable. Most of whom will be fine to deal with, but some of whom could cause your journey to be, let's say not stress-free.

So I think that Prodigy may be best sticking with the Off Peak return he has already got. :)

I would urge people to avoid using the term "Open return" if at all possible. Feel free to ignore the rest of this post, but if you want to know why, read on for the history....

Whether an Off Peak Return is an "open" ticket or not depends on whether you are using the definition of "open" pioneered by Thetrainline (in which case, yes) or by the traditional British Rail definition (in which case, no).

The term "Open Return" was a ticket type until 2008 but this was renamed Anytime Return, probably because of the confusion. The code 'SOR' remains unchanged.

A ticket clerk may issue an SOR if someone says "Can I have a standard anytime return from Manchester to London" as the product has, arguably, been requested by (the old) name, though the clerk would hopefully clarify this before issuing the ticket! If someone asked for an "open return" from York to Doncaster, there is no SOR so the clerk would have to determine if the passenger wanted a ticket in the traditional sense (any train outward, and any train returning within one month) in which case it's the SVR, or if they simply meant any train but returning the same day (this is not what I perceive as "Open" but acording to many booking sites it is!) which would be the cheapest ticket, the SDR, or if they meant they are returning within 1 month but don't have to travel before 0930, in which case it's the SSR. It could get confusing!

Status
Not open for further replies.