• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Looking for Forums that cover short away trips starting with the Calendonian night sleeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Wake

Look for local bed and breakfasts around Fort William, there should be some good ones. I always find though booking directly with the bed and breakfast gets the best prices as the websites such as booking.com add fees.

I can recommend a trip on the steam train to Mallaig and back, or if you get the normal train, on the usual timetable there’s a train at about 1145, gets to Mallaig at 1335 in time for lunch then returns at 1605 so you’re back in Fort William by 1800

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

James Wake

Looks like a few nice places out at Banavie, which is the next station out of Fort William on the line to Mallaig. Even if there’s not a train due immediately after the sleeper has arrived there’s taxis outside Fort William Station that would take you out to Banavie or there is probably a bus too. This place looks great might be worth checking out http://culacrick.co.uk/

Last edited:

Veteran Member
Looks like a few nice places out at Banavie, which is the next station out of Fort William on the line to Mallaig. Even if there’s not a train due immediately after the sleeper has arrived there’s taxis outside Fort William Station that would take you out to Banavie or there is probably a bus too. This place looks great might be worth checking out http://culacrick.co.uk/
There's a decent local bus service N46/47 out to Corpach though it does visit a housing estate or two on the way.

BML

I have to admit to a certain amount of confusion as to what is allowed regarding travelling to Scotland via the Caledonian Sleeper and even more so if one is allowed access to accommodation once up there. Could someone offer an analysis of the situation.

scotrail158713

Established Member
I have to admit to a certain amount of confusion as to what is allowed regarding travelling to Scotland via the Caledonian Sleeper and even more so if one is allowed access to accommodation once up there. Could someone offer an analysis of the situation.
Allowed from this Monday (26th)

BML

Many thanks for the link but regrettably it appears to show nothing of visitors to Scotland and if they are allowed to stay for a few days.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Many thanks for the link but regrettably it appears to show nothing of visitors to Scotland and if they are allowed to stay for a few days.
I suppose you’re right that it doesn’t explicitly talk of visitors to Scotland.

However from the 26th when we enter Level 3, travel from the rest of the UK is allowed, and accommodation is allowed to open. By a process of deduction I’d therefore say that staying in accommodation is allowed.

BML

Many thanks for your information. Maybe its safe to book now.

Status
Not open for further replies.