Looking into the distance

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HR2

Any of you members had any experince with beta versions of windows 'VISTA' yet? It seems [or so i've been told ] you need a 64bit machine to run it and it also seems to be not far different from XP. All-in-all the general consensus seems to think it's something of a damp squib after all the hype. I think I might go for Linux myself as it looks far better and more secure than Redmond's product and has a lot of 'extra's' built in..

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
you don't need a 64bit machine but you need one hell of a spec'd pc.
Processor wise you don't need a lot - iirc it was 700mhz minimum processor, 512mb-1Gb Ram, at least a 128mb Graphics card if you want the aero themes, however you can use a 64mb card without the aero themes - not sure what you get instead.

Tom B

Established Member
I was speaking to a friend who's run it and apparently it uses a good 400mb RAM just at the desktop. Most of which is the added junk they've filled it with - 3d effects and the like. There doesn't seem to be that many additions, just a fresh packaging and a few tweaks to XP.

"Better security" - hmm. They claim there are "anti-phishing" controls, but how can you stop phishing? If people are still stupid enough to take heed of spoof emails...

I've got a copy coming my way which should be a laugh..

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Aye I've got a copy on the way shortly, means I'll have to dig out all the ram in the house and put it into the one decent machine and then I still need a new graphics card for it

Gareth Hale

May I advise you to download Windows Vista Upgrade tool. Can be found at www.microsoft.com/windowsvista. it tells you if your computer can run Windows Vista and which version of Vista will be suitable for your work.

"A Windows Vista Capable PC includes at least:
  • A modern processor (at least 800MHz1).
  • 512 MB of system memory.
  • A graphics processor that is DirectX 9 capable."
"
A Windows Vista Premium Ready PC includes at least:
  • 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor1.
  • 1 GB of system memory.
  • A graphics processor that runs Windows Aero2.
  • 128 MB of graphics memory.
  • 40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.
  • DVD-ROM Drive3.
  • Audio output capability.
  • Internet access capability."

Status
Not open for further replies.