• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Looking into the distance

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HR2

Any of you members had any experince with beta versions of windows 'VISTA' yet? It seems [or so i've been told ] you need a 64bit machine to run it and it also seems to be not far different from XP. All-in-all the general consensus seems to think it's something of a damp squib after all the hype. I think I might go for Linux myself as it looks far better and more secure than Redmond's product and has a lot of 'extra's' built in..

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
you don't need a 64bit machine but you need one hell of a spec'd pc.
Processor wise you don't need a lot - iirc it was 700mhz minimum processor, 512mb-1Gb Ram, at least a 128mb Graphics card if you want the aero themes, however you can use a 64mb card without the aero themes - not sure what you get instead.

Tom B

Established Member
I was speaking to a friend who's run it and apparently it uses a good 400mb RAM just at the desktop. Most of which is the added junk they've filled it with - 3d effects and the like. There doesn't seem to be that many additions, just a fresh packaging and a few tweaks to XP.

"Better security" - hmm. They claim there are "anti-phishing" controls, but how can you stop phishing? If people are still stupid enough to take heed of spoof emails...

I've got a copy coming my way which should be a laugh..

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
Aye I've got a copy on the way shortly, means I'll have to dig out all the ram in the house and put it into the one decent machine and then I still need a new graphics card for it

TicketMan

Who needs to fear phishing scams when Bill Gates and his boys will empty your bank account for you...

I'll stick with XP for now...

Gareth Hale

May I advise you to download Windows Vista Upgrade tool. Can be found at www.microsoft.com/windowsvista. it tells you if your computer can run Windows Vista and which version of Vista will be suitable for your work.

"A Windows Vista Capable PC includes at least:
  • A modern processor (at least 800MHz1).
  • 512 MB of system memory.
  • A graphics processor that is DirectX 9 capable."
"
A Windows Vista Premium Ready PC includes at least:
  • 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor1.
  • 1 GB of system memory.
  • A graphics processor that runs Windows Aero2.
  • 128 MB of graphics memory.
  • 40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.
  • DVD-ROM Drive3.
  • Audio output capability.
  • Internet access capability."

Status
Not open for further replies.