• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LOROL Disruption 03/6

Status
Not open for further replies.

ushawk

Established Member
Big problems for LOROL this morning because of overhead wire problems near Willesden Junction - meaning no trains can run on the NLL past WJJ.

A shuttle is in operation between Willesden Junction and Stratford running via Primrose Hill and also a shuttle bus between Willesden Junction and Shepherds Bush, with no train service on the whole WLL, except Southern services.

There is also no service between Gospel Oak and South Tottenham. Widespread ticket acceptance is in place.

Seeing as the disruption started last night, are the problems very complex ? Saw on a Network Rail Tweet that a train is trapped in the area too.

Also, is the suspension of the GOBLIN service because they arent able to get the 172's from Willesden depot ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class377/5

Established Member
Big problems for LOROL this morning because of overhead wire problems near Willesden Junction - meaning no trains can run on the NLL past WJJ.

A shuttle is in operation between Willesden Junction and Stratford running via Primrose Hill and also a shuttle bus between Willesden Junction and Shepherds Bush, with no train service on the whole WLL, except Southern services.

There is also no service between Gospel Oak and South Tottenham. Widespread ticket acceptance is in place.

Seeing as the disruption started last night, are the problems very complex ? Saw on a Network Rail Tweet that a train is trapped in the area too.

Also, is the suspension of the GOBLIN service because they arent able to get the 172's from Willesden depot ?

Gospel Oak - South Tottenham is due to fact drivers are having problems accessing Willesden depot. (no link other than taxi).

Believe a Thunderbird is en route to rescue unit. Overhead are down at Kensal Rise causing knock on effects to OHLE on the WLL.

ushawk

Established Member
Gospel Oak - South Tottenham is due to fact drivers are having problems accessing Willesden depot. (no link other than taxi).

Believe a Thunderbird is en route to rescue unit. Overhead are down at Kensal Rise causing knock on effects to OHLE on the WLL.

NRE were saying the delays on GOBLIN was due to Over-running engineering work so they got that a bit wrong - normal service on there now.

Any idea what was used as the Thunderbird ? I assume it may of been a 172 due to the power outage. Line still closed now, but a shuttle is now running between Shepherds Bush and Clapham Junction, assume again that the service was slso suspended on this line because drivers couldnt access the depot too ?

Schnellzug

Established Member
Ah, well done, not Work Rail. It's not as if a lot of people would have wanted to go into the Big Smoke today is it....

Gives you lots of confidence for the olympics, doesn't it

Class377/5

Established Member
NRE were saying the delays on GOBLIN was due to Over-running engineering work so they got that a bit wrong - normal service on there now.

Any idea what was used as the Thunderbird ? I assume it may of been a 172 due to the power outage. Line still closed now, but a shuttle is now running between Shepherds Bush and Clapham Junction, assume again that the service was slso suspended on this line because drivers couldnt access the depot too ?

Technically it's over running as NR should have fixed it for the morning.

Why are you so quick to blame NR?

Because the wires have come down a lot on a bit of intrastructure a few years old.

GB

Established Member
Sorry but that means nothing, it could be an NR fault but it could equally be vandalism or a fault with the pantograph.

ushawk

Established Member
Sorry but that means nothing, it could be an NR fault but it could equally be vandalism or a fault with the pantograph.

Exactly, things can always go wrong. Would have thought it was a complex issue if it took just under 1 day to fix - if it wasnt a complex problem then Network Rail need to sort their response times out quickly - would have thought they will have teams on standby in the London area anyway during the Olympics.

GB

Established Member
From what I have seen the damage was pretty extensive and I think involved two trains on separate lines. Was also over a junction with complicated OLE layouts.

ushawk

Established Member
From what I have seen the damage was pretty extensive and I think involved two trains on separate lines. Was also over a junction with complicated OLE layouts.

Ah, that would explain it then - i know 1 train remained at the scene this morning.

Tav77

And this was last Sunday's issues!

Just logged in to the TfL service updates website at 09:52 to discover that over 75% of the LOROL network is either suspended due to power problems and signal failures, plus planned engineering work.

Last week was the turn of LUL to prove it's no ready for the Olympics with the Jubilee Line fiasco, now it's the turn of LOROL and NR to prove that they're just as unprepared, too...

North London / West London Line
Suspended between Stratford and Richmond/Clapham Junction due to power problems.

Watford DC Lines
Suspended between Euston and Watford Junction due to a signal failure in the Queens Park area.

Gospel Oak - South Tottenham (-Barking)
Suspended between Gospel Oak and South Tottenham due to power problems.

(Gospel Oak-) South Tottenham - Barking

Engineering Work. No service between South Tottenham and Barking.

East London Line
Engineering Work. No service between New Cross Gate and West Croydon / Crystal Palace.

Not just drivers that don't like working Sunday's, the equipment joins in as well!

Established Member
Right i will give a sequence of events that has caused this disruption.

Yesterday at around 15.00 a class 378 had a damaged pantograph and this unit was dumped for 3 hours in the middle road at Kensington. At around 18.00 plans were put in place to rescue this unit. At 19.00 this consist passed Willesden High Level Station. At or around Kensal Green Junction the overhead wires got themselves tangled and some of these wires went across the oposite running line and was duely clouted by another 378.

This caused the power outage from Acton Wells to Camden Road trapping 7 trains in the process i was fortunate in that my train was already at Willesden Junction.

The problems stem from no other type of train being able to assist the trapped 378s. Netowrk Rail could not attend to fix the wires until the trains were removed and The trains couldnt be moved because of no power a vicous circle indeed.

London Overground services have been disrupted now for nearly every day for the past 3 weeks. I am surprised that more of this isnt mentioned.

ushawk

Established Member
Right i will give a sequence of events that has caused this disruption.

Yesterday at around 15.00 a class 378 had a damaged pantograph and this unit was dumped for 3 hours in the middle road at Kensington. At around 18.00 plans were put in place to rescue this unit. At 19.00 this consist passed Willesden High Level Station. At or around Kensal Green Junction the overhead wires got themselves tangled and some of these wires went across the oposite running line and was duely clouted by another 378.

This caused the power outage from Acton Wells to Camden Road trapping 7 trains in the process i was fortunate in that my train was already at Willesden Junction.

The problems stem from no other type of train being able to assist the trapped 378s. Netowrk Rail could not attend to fix the wires until the trains were removed and The trains couldnt be moved because of no power a vicous circle indeed.

London Overground services have been disrupted now for nearly every day for the past 3 weeks. I am surprised that more of this isnt mentioned.

Ah, that makes sense of why the line was closed for so long - thanks. So basically, if they were able to free the trapped trains quicker, Network Rail would have been able to repair the lines quicker ? Was posted above that the last remaining train was rescued by a Virgin 57 and as some are possibly available, perhaps LOROL should look into getting one as a rescue loco.

ChristopherJ

We discussed (argued?) about the technical matters to rescuing failed trains a couple of weeks ago. I suggested couplings should be standardised for ease of rescue. It would of helped in this case.

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1081955&postcount=53

Whistler40145

Established Member
On the subject of rescuing Class 378s, why isn't there a special coupling so other units or locos can assist?

Also, if problems with the OHLE & infrastructure have occurred over several weeks, should CCTV equipment be installed on the Class 378s to monitor such things as Pantograph wear & OHLE damage?

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?thfgfz

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Emergency coupler?

It would have been quite tricky to organise a rescue by a 57 you would think.

Established Member
I'm confused! If this is the case how come a Class 57 was able to haul the 378's away?

If the class 57 was on site by early morning these trains wouldnt have been trapped.

The point i am getting at is that this took hours to do, such a shame that Willesden TMD have a 09 that 'Might' have been used because only 3 LOROL drivers sign the thing and none were on duty. It was even thought about of using a class 172, but insufficant brake power and the possiblity of damaging the 172 ruled that one out.

It seems that something like this happens today it takes hours to sort out.

ChristopherJ

It was even thought about of using a class 172, but insufficant brake power and the possiblity of damaging the 172 ruled that one out.

11955648.jpg

Last edited:

Class377/5

Established Member
By the way, what what I remember of the messages sent out was that NR was working on the line. No units were allowed on the tracks so that's why it took so long to rescue the unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.