• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LOROL Trainee Driver New Cross Gate 8 NEW POSITIONS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seaza

http://www.lorol.co.uk/go/careers/vacancies
Trainee Train Driver
Job Code: 680
# of openings: 8
Description
Trainee Train Driver

New Cross Gate

Issue Date

Working Pattern

Full time

Closing Date

26.10.2015 at 5:00pm

Basic Salary

£26,326 rising to £43,145 after completion of training

ABOUT US

There has never been a more exciting time to join London Overground Rail Operations Limited (LOROL). We have a vision for an even better London Overground network, and we’re working hard together to achieve it. We’re passionate about developing, expanding and enhancing the network, connecting communities across the capital. It’s a rewarding journey.

ABOUT THE ROLE

We are seeking applications from highly motivated individuals who will commit to a future opportunity as a Train Driver based at our New Cross Gate Depot.

Train drivers are required to drive large volumes of passengers safely and efficiently. LOROL has seen customer numbers increase from 80,000 to nearly 500,000 a day with annual passenger journeys at 145 million. This level of demand carries with it a high level of responsibility in terms of passenger safety.

Following an intensive training programme, you will become technically and occupationally competent to drive trains in a safe and punctual manner, dependent on successfully passing the required criteria.

Also key to the role is the ability to work as a team player, communicating with the Control function and delivering excellent customer service skills at all times.

ABOUT YOU

To succeed, applicants will require excellent concentration skills, good attention to detail and the ability to work alone for long periods of time, whilst maintaining focus and awareness.

A proactive, ‘can do’ attitude, coupled with great communication skills are also essential.

Candidates will be required to pass the medical standards for the role including a drugs and alcohol test and will need to live within close proximity to the New Cross Gate depot. Flexibility is required as the role will involve early starts, late finishes, weekend and bank holiday working.

SALARY AND BENEFITS

A trainee driver salary of £26,326 rising to £43,145 after completion of training and circa £55,288 once first year of driving has been completed.

You’ll also be able to make the most of great benefits including a final salary pension scheme and travel discounts plus the satisfaction of making a significant and lasting difference for the network.

LOROL is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome all applications especially from women and black, Asian and minority ethnic groups who are currently under represented.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

joshking5

Hey Guys, has anyone got any advice on the online questions section of the application? Most of it is run of the mill stuff so I can answer accordingly, however there is the odd question that has me scratching my head.

Example: "Do you prefer making quick decisions based on your knowledge without looking at all the facts?" This is put as a yes or no question, but my honest answer is a bit of both, as I understand some situations may need a quick decision made with out hesitating.

There are a few more like this, but I am not asking for my hand to be held just wanted to know what you guys thought.

Cheers

mresh91

Hey Guys, has anyone got any advice on the online questions section of the application? Most of it is run of the mill stuff so I can answer accordingly, however there is the odd question that has me scratching my head.

Example: "Do you prefer making quick decisions based on your knowledge without looking at all the facts?" This is put as a yes or no question, but my honest answer is a bit of both, as I understand some situations may need a quick decision made with out hesitating.

There are a few more like this, but I am not asking for my hand to be held just wanted to know what you guys thought.

Cheers
Let me be the first to say I hate some of the snobbery that goes on when newbs like us ask questions and receive bitter responses, but this question is dead simple. Not to sound snobbish myself, but if you're uncertain of the answer for this one, then I'd go back to the drawing board.

Just look at the job specification, and think of what option will be most suitable for a driver to take. Address the questionnaire in terms of a LOROL train driver, not a typical pass/fail exam that you must pass by whatever means.

Peace...

joshking5

Let me be the first to say I hate some of the snobbery that goes on when newbs like us ask questions and receive bitter responses, but this question is dead simple. Not to sound snobbish myself, but if you're uncertain of the answer for this one, then I'd go back to the drawing board.

Just look at the job specification, and think of what option will be most suitable for a driver to take. Address the questionnaire in terms of a LOROL train driver, not a typical pass/fail exam that you must pass by whatever means.

Peace...

You know what you are totally right, I am so glad I didn't complete the application when I was tired yesterday. I would have definitely got something wrong. Cheers for not being snobbish. :)

DavidUK

I put an application in for both of these vacancies. Having applied for New Cross Gate earlier in the year I don't like my chances much but fingers crossed.

Bossa

The openings for the New cross gate vacancy has gone up from 1 to 8. Still highly competitive but at least less of the "seed to egg" fight that was first advertised.

slick

The salary for these jobs is a lot lower and for now you'll be driving older rolling stock.

Not true. The salary of NXG, EUS, WFD, WLL lorol drivers is £55,288 for a 4 day week sundays inside the working week. West Anglia drivers pay is £50,000 for a 4 day week with Sundays outside but still rostered so the wages aren't that different if you choose to work your rostered Sundays throughout the year... but you will be working and extra day each week when you do so. The interim salaries are less but the T&Cs on west anglia are much better so for now its a trade off depending on what your after.

Greenyeti

"Close proximity to depot" is vague, anyone know what the cut off is distance/travel time wise?

whoosh

Established Member
I thought West Anglia was about £44-45k too, although do they get a London Allowance on top of that? That would be about £2 on top I would've thought, if that's the case.

slick

We were on 44k + London weighting under greater anglia. Now under LOROL dead on 50k with no london weighting. Neither us or the other side get london weighting, we did but part of a recent pay deal was to incorporate that into the salary to make it pensionable. Chingford isnt what it used to be like under NX and GA. It has always had a reputation for being a very intensive depot with nonstop inner suburban jobs. Although we lost a few routes when we parted with GA since LOROL has been injecting drivers into the roster our work intensity has decreased massively, and as it goes most lines in the roster are well short of the 35hr week we are actually supposed to be doing. With new trains on the way, new facilities planned, plenty of drivers, its definatley a depot on the way up.

"Close proximity to depot" is vague, anyone know what the cut off is distance/travel time wise?

Its always vague. Of all of our drivers (which is 101 at the moment) probably 30 are local. Go figure :roll: A large chunk live out in essex (harlow, basildon etc) A recent new starter lives in Kingsbury NW london and doesnt drive. Im also aware of New Cross Gate and Euston drivers who commute from the ends of the earth so I'm not exactly sure what they are getting at with that one...

Last edited:

Greenyeti

Its always vague. Of all of our drivers (which is 101 at the moment) probably 30 are local. Go figure :roll: A large chunk live out in essex (harlow, basildon etc) A recent new starter lives in Kingsbury NW london and doesnt drive. Im also aware of New Cross Gate and Euston drivers who commute from the ends of the earth so I'm not exactly sure what they are getting at with that one...

Thanks for that. Looking at the application it states you must be within 45 mins by public transport. I don't consider myself to live in close proximity, living 1hr away by car but there is an hourly train that gets me there in under 40 mins and a few others that take around 1hr so I'll apply anyway.

class373

Im in the talent pool awaiting a start date for trainee driver with GTR and have been for some months now, would it go against me if I were to apply for the NXG job? What I mean is would LOROL contact GTR to question what the situation is with myself or is this unlikely?

notadriver

Established Member
If you applied for the NXG job and failed the assessments would that go against you ?

class373

If you applied for the NXG job and failed the assessments would that go against you ?

No I mean would LOROL contact GTR in regards to my pending job offer which could result in them withdrawing me from the talent pool or would that not happen?

voldo

Why is the vacancy for Trainee Driver paying less then the vacancy for New Cross Gate?

joshking5

Has anybody heard back from their application yet? I did mine on the 14th and have yet to hear something.

Cheers Guys

subforce

Not yet, the vacancies only closed today so until now they have probably just been gathering candidates.

slick

Why is the vacancy for Trainee Driver paying less then the vacancy for New Cross Gate?

Because chingford hasnt been harmonised into the rest of LOROLs conditions yet. Under TUPE when we transfered to LOROL and left AGA we kept all of our existing conditions and pay from AGA. Athough LOROL did bump us up a fair bit after taking over, we are still somewhere in between ex AGA and current LOROL in terms of pay...that applies to the trainee rate too. They are keen to put it on the table but not until we find out who the new operator will be for london overground. Then it will be looked at.

Last edited:

croydonboy

On my second attempt I met the required mark for lorol on all the stage one exams apart from the group bourdon which I still passed but not high enough. Does that put me out of the running with regards to my application? Because I know they say you can only sit the exams twice? It's quite confusing as I have been also told that because I still passed I can sit the exam again. Can anyone shed some light?

Vtdriver

Slick, without hijacking the thread, how many weekends and/or Saturdays do you get off at the moment?

slick

Slick, without hijacking the thread, how many weekends and/or Saturdays do you get off at the moment?

48 lines of the 101 line roster have a saturday RD with most being friday saturday off.

What's the fastest speed on the Chingford routes with those 100 mph 317s?

60mph between edmonton green and cheshunt on the southbury line.

If when going to ilford Im routed on the mainline which has a top speed of 70 rising to 90 on the other side of Maryland I like to shake the cobwebs off :)

Last edited:

Twedds74

Got my rejection yesterday:((
What are they looking for? having I've already passed assessments with enhanced scores.
I'm very disappointed with their "Careful consideration"!! and also living local to NXG.

Status
Not open for further replies.