• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lorry hit bridge at Shotton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
Just left Chester, where I noticed an info announcement on the departures screen saying the Holyhead (that I had just got off) was cancelled, and that there would be delays while the bridge was checked.

May have got that not quite correct as when the Liverpool that I'm on was departing the Holyhead seemed to be on the move, and
anyway I didn't know the Holyhead called at Shotton (have never taken much notice of what goes on after Chester). There does seem to be some sort of incident though.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
A vehicle has struck a bridge at Shotton.
Because of this, buses are replacing trains between Chester and Rhyl, with journey times extended by up to 30 minutes. This will continue until further notice

Still cancellations at Chester.
I'm trying to think of a bridge at Shotton other than the High Level line, unless they mean Queensferry.

calc7

Established Member
When did this happen? Does this mean the 0910 ex-EUS double Voyager is trapped west of the blockade?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
When did this happen? Does this mean the 0910 ex-EUS double Voyager is trapped west of the blockade?

NRES is not very clear.
The Euston-HHD is "no report" both ways.
But the 1323 AW ex HHD is shown as running throughout but 17 late up the coast.
And the 1224 BNG-EUS seems to be running through the area now, 30 late.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I think that the bridge in question is in the Queensferry area.

Passed it earlier.
It's the old road through Queensferry over the Dee (the "blue bridge").
Road still closed at 1500, lots of hi-viz orange on the track above.
Trains seem to be running through at slow speed.
Cleared according to NRES.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

Michael.Y

Established Member
Lots of two-tone as we passed over it at speed today, so assume it was structurally safe yet may have been having work on it at the time. Didn't see any hi-viz. It was about 5 to 2 though so perhaps they were having a cuppa.

John55

Good post Bob.
How can you miss a bridge like that?
NR did very well to get the line open so quickly.
The locals only seem bothered about the impact on their businesses!

The very common problem which may well be the case here is that the load on the truck has been incorrectly stowed and is higher than the driver expects. If the digger arm has not been secured in the lowest position it can obviously hit anything he truck goes under even if in theory it can fit.

It doesn't make any difference to the effects of the collision but it does make a difference to any corrective actions which need to be taken.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Presumably the costs of repair in these instances are met by insurers of the vehicle and not NR?

michael769

Established Member
The very common problem which may well be the case here is that the load on the truck has been incorrectly stowed and is higher than the driver expects. If the digger arm has not been secured in the lowest position it can obviously hit anything he truck goes under even if in theory it can fit.

HIAB crane arms is the single most common cause of bridge strikes (overloaded bales of hay are #2). The largest HIABs can when incorrectly stowed raise the height of a vehicle above the 16ft limit - bridges over 16ft do not need to be signed.

The local petrol station has had its canopy damaged 3 times this year so far by HIABs belonging to the local plant operator - even though it has a separate diesel pump for trucks that is not udner the canopy.

Status
Not open for further replies.