Lorry hits bridge as train heads towards it in North Dulwich (08/04)

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by Antman, 8 Apr 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antman

Antman Established Member

There are reports on twitter of a lorry hitting the bridge in Village Way and the 'grabber' having ended up on the track and an approaching train having to make an emergency stop. I've not seen any photographs but it sounds like a serious incident was narrowly avoided??

2. tsr

tsr Established Member

The London Bridge thread has more information. An image is here: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCEiYwHWAAA6nWZ.jpg

Basically, the 455 came to a stand when it became apparent that there was part of a crane which had welded itself to the third rail ahead... and thus the line was blocked.

I haven't heard about any injuries, but the train service is a mess - and I'm sure the driver is none too happy!

3. hwl

hwl Established Member

For pic see Southerns twitter feed

https://twitter.com/SouthernRailUK/media

(1st photo currently)

A Jewson's Lorry presumably returning to their depot next to East Dulwich Station

The pallet grabber/ bag lifter looks like it has welded itself to the 3rd rail.

Additional photo from family member taken from the road attached (looking east)

Edit to add:

Also these images from a passenger on the train:
    https://twitter.com/thomasjohnbacon/status/585796984046485504/photo/1

Attached Files:

Last edited: 8 Apr 2015
  4. theageofthetra

theageofthetra Established Member

Nasty moment for the driver. I imagine Jewson will be turned upside down for compensation for this one.

5. theageofthetra

theageofthetra Established Member

Has anyone else noticed the road/rail crane canted over at an angle on the just closed & soon to be demolished viaduct before blue anchor. It was clearly visible from the up Charing Cross this morning. There was what appeared to be a large section of decking hanging below the arches right about where the cranes strut legs would be. May have something to do with the track panels being taken out prior to demolition? Rather worrying though the state of that viaduct given we were running trains over it before Easter!

6. ralphchadkirk

ralphchadkirk Established Member

[​IMG]
    Image from the LFB.

LAS Manager, Ambulance, Equipment Support Vehicle and Hazardous Area Response Team on scene, no patients.

7. Trog

Trog Established Member

Arches are designed to take a distributed load, and within sane limits the more you load them evenly, say by adding deeper ballast the stronger they get. What they do not like is a point load, so stripping off ballast then putting down a leg and loading it up is asking for trouble.

8. Ploughman

Ploughman Established Member

Cannot see this anywhere.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-32218443

From the BBC London pages.
    A lorry has crashed into a rail bridge that had a passenger train heading towards it.
    London Fire Brigade (LFB) said it was called at about 11:25 BST after a crane on the lorry hit the bridge in Village Way, North Dulwich.

9. SpacePhoenix

SpacePhoenix Established Member

On the Daily Mail website it says that the traction current was shorted out. The driver operated the emergency brake anyway but had he not, would as loss of traction current automatically trigger a full emergency brake application?

10. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Established Member

I wonder if it has the full strength of the insurance companies around it (anyone recognise the reference to the 50s TV ad there?)

11. tsr

tsr Established Member

The 455s would usually experience a loss of the "line light" (indicating, in its most basic form, the supply of electricity to the traction system) and coast to a stand. However, I should imagine in this case the driver applied considerable braking force as soon as they were aware of the obstruction.

There are occasions when a unit will coast and theoretically come fairly close to "gapping" (becoming stranded between sections of third rail) and an emergency brake application would be most unhelpful. Likewise an automatic application on stabled stock on any line under possession and isolation would also be a nuisance as it might adversely affect the brakes upon prep/starting of the train on the next occasion.

12. edwin_m

edwin_m Veteran Member

Instead of Jewson, they should have turned the juice off.

13. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

The ad I remember from the 60s was not on TV but in every single Southern EMU carriage on suburban services on the end wall, for Liverpool Victoria Assurance Co with the slogan you quote.

Jewsons ads I remember on TV around 1990 apparently meant to gain business from cowboy builders, featuring someone using the word Jewsons instead of an expletive, as in 'we've got the Jewson lot'.

14. hwl

hwl Established Member

15. Bedpan

Bedpan Member

I do find the BBC and up to a point the media generally irritating when they don't seem to have the slightest idea of the difference between "train" and "locomotive" - or "track", "rail" and "line" for that matter. One of their pictures todaty depictsa passengers being transferred to a second "locomotive" which had been brought alongside. Pure ignorance really!

16. NSEFAN

NSEFAN Established Member

I wonder if any news outlet has yet referred to them as "75mph trains", even though the linespeed may be somewhat lower. I recall a near miss between a "140mph train" and pedestrian at a level crossing, as reported by our favourite source of news, the Daily Mail. ;)

17. Clip

Clip Established Member

Or as it is aimed at the wider general public who will have no idea of the difference between the two it makes no difference.

Still though that's some effort from the truck lorry driver though to do that - be he wont have a job for long and glad the train driver was able to stop in time.

18. hwl

hwl Established Member

Especially in a 20mph zone!:lol:

The current bridge deck is a only a year old (see http://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/2014/04/22/photos-watch-a-railway-bridge-being-replaced/) and probably took the hit far better than the 1868 one would have.
    The main impact point appears to have been the 4.4m sign which was just about in 1 piece but on the road. The missing bit of parapet is a cosmetic panel to match the look of the original bridge.

The new bridge doesn't have the cast iron kerb side columns the old one did so the road could be lowered to increase clearance if desired now...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.