• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Loss of signalling near Surbiton 6/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

setdown

Currently sitting on a train to Weymouth that’s been stopped near Surbiton for almost 90 minutes. Apparently there’s been a complete loss of signalling.

I’m not from round these parts, is it a regular occurrence? We’ve been told for the past hour that the signals are trying to be reset but no luck so far...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Pretty rare to have a complete loss of signalling like that; it’s usually (but not always) a power supply issue where the main supply and back ups have failed. Typically if it can’t be restored within a couple of hours there’s will be temporary arrangements set up to get a very limited service moving.

In my experience this sort of thing happens about once a month or so somewhere on the network; and about half the failures are down to circumstances well beyond the railways control.

Carlisle

Established Member
In my experience this sort of thing happens about once a month or so .
In recent times it does appear a more common occurrence on the former Southern Region areas than elsewhere

Last edited:

AM9

Veteran Member
In recent times it does appear a more common occurrence on the former Southern Region areas than elsewhere
Would it be because of the more fragile nature of track circuits on 750VDC lines especially during these wet times?

EvoIV

Yes, cable damage by rodent. Not an uncommon event but obviously it depends on which cable the rodents damage as to the consequences.

theironroad

Established Member
Is that true??

I was meant to meet a friend for lunch in Wimbledon but had to postpone.

The Surbiton and rat failure didn't happen until about 2030 last night and was sorted by the early hours this morning so not sure how lunch was postponed :)

hwl

Established Member
Yes, cable damage by rodent. Not an uncommon event but obviously it depends on which cable the rodents damage as to the consequences.
Not the first rodent caused cable damage of the week in 3rd rail land either.

QueensCurve

Established Member

Many years ago I recall the pesky little rodents made a feast of the Interlocking at Edinburgh Haymarket. It lead to several routes being locked out of use for a prologued period.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Hilsea in Portsmouth is particularly bad for rats and related signal failures. Signal faults at Hilsea seem particularly high compared to other parts of Havant box’s control area.

Status
Not open for further replies.