• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lost property issue: getting money back from police

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
Long story short, I lot my wallet travelling between Southport and Formby. No idea where. The barriers at Southport were wide open and there (thankfully) was no ticket check on the train or at Formby. I had stupidly put my wallet in a plastic bag while rushing pay for something the fist place I went in Southport and I didn't realise I had lost it until 2 hours after I got home when a friend popped round and I wanted to pay her for something.

Anyway, my concessionary travel pass was in it so a few days later I went to Merseytravel to arrange to get a new one. There was a note on the system to say that my travel pass was at St Anne's Police Station in Liverpool. I contacted them and made an appointment to collect my property. On the phone they confirmed the wallet and all its contents (thankfully it was solely cash and the travel pass - no ID or bank cards). They said there was £25 also (which is correct) and that it is had been handed in by a member of the public called Steve - but they had no other details for him.

They said the cash is repaid to me through a BACs transfer. They posted me a form and this arrived the same day I was due to go to the police station to get my stuff. So I filled it out. It was actually a form designed for the person to found it to claim it (but they confirmed on the phone they use the same form as they are yet to design another). I took this to the police station with me. They had enclosed an envelope to post it back. She said when they get the form they sign it then send it to finance.

The chap giving me my wallet said it didn't know how that process worked and could I post the form back when I offered it to him. He then said "tell you what, put it in the envelope and I'll take it down stairs and give it to them" (that made sense given the Evidence Management Team is in the same station). So that is the last I have heard.

It is now two weeks and I have not had the money into my bank account. I guess it is highly unlikely the "finder" will try to claim the money after 30 days but I am wondering how long I should leave it before flagging it up. I know it doesn't take long for a BACs payment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

skyhigh

Established Member
Merseyside Police.
Ah, in that case, I can't tell you specifics as each force does things a little differently. I wouldn't be surprised though if the force has a monthly pay date for wages/expenses/return of funds - so might be a little while until you get your funds returned. If you've got a contact for your case there's no harm in sending a polite email and asking how long it'll take.

As you've probably been told, practice is to bank cash that's seized/found unless it has evidential value. It's for the best overall, although does lead to delays such as this.

gray1404

Established Member
Very lucky indeed and shame I can't thank them. £25 in all. I'll give it a month from when I handed the form in before I follow it up. I have the number for the lost property unit as a contact. Hopefully it will be on a monthly list.

skyhigh

Established Member
Very lucky indeed and shame I can't thank them. £25 in all. I'll give it a month from when I handed the form in before I follow it up. I have the number for the lost property unit as a contact. Hopefully it will be on a monthly list.
It'll get sorted out, sooner or later!

Status
Not open for further replies.