• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lost Tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanTrain

Hi,

I bought two advance singles from Sheffield to Oxford for next week online, and they seem to have been misplaced sometime after we collected them from the station. What is the best thing to do now, can they be reprinted for a fee, or do I need to buy new tickets?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Lost tickets, other than season tickets, cannot usually be replaced or reprinted - you must, unfortunately, buy new tickets. The rationale is that 'losing' tickets (and then getting new ones) could be an excuse for several people using the same ticket.

You can always ask the retailer you bought the tickets from but it's highly unlikely you'll be given the answer you're looking for.

Hopefully you can find them - otherwise use Trainsplit et al to find the cheapest replacements.

DanTrain

Ok thanks anyway. What about trying to change the journey online to a different time, paying the difference, or does that require you to send back the original tickets?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Ok thanks anyway. What about trying to change the journey online to a different time, paying the difference, or does that require you to send back the original tickets?

It requires you to send the original ticket back.

Some tick sites issue the change as an excess which is only valid with the original ticket.

Haywain

Veteran Member
As Hadders has said, after the change you will either be required to return the original tickets or to retain them to back up the excess fare that is issued. However, some retailers will take a more sympathetic view than others. It is unlikely that any will issue a new ticket without charge, but they might give you a longer window of opportunity to find the originals to get a refund (even though they are not refundable). Contact your retailer before doing anything else.

Haywain

Veteran Member
If its an advance then surely you can't use twice, but there you go.
You could give the original to a friend. It could then be used on the same train or excessed to use on a different train. That's why the return of the original would be expected.

A Challenge

Established Member
You could give the original to a friend. It could then be used on the same train or excessed to use on a different train. That's why the return of the original would be expected.
Good point, thank you.

westv

Established Member
By excessed I meant on the train. They can, of course, be amended prior to travel although the last time I did that the replacement ticket had "only valid with ticket number xxx" printed on it - where xxx was the original ticket number.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
By excessed I meant on the train. They can, of course, be amended prior to travel although the last time I did that the replacement ticket had "only valid with ticket number xxx" printed on it - where xxx was the original ticket number.

No-one mentioned excessing them on a train.

Yes, that's a standard form of excess - but if someone had got a duplicate ticket that wouldn't be a problem for someone trying it on.

westv

Established Member
No-one mentioned excessing them on a train.

Yes, that's a standard form of excess - but if someone had got a duplicate ticket that wouldn't be a problem for someone trying it on.

Ok. I always thought excessing a ticket meant upgrading it whilst travelling but I stand corrected! :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.