• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
This is most definitely going to be off topic (sort of) but I was reading into the Gyle Centre extending, and was wondering what could mean for all the bus services that terminate/pass through the centre!

I mean there are talks of a 6 screen cinema and an extended food court but I’m wondering where they will get the space to do that :smile: I very much doubt they will knock back the car park or reduce any services going to the centre

SpeedbirdA350

This is most definitely going to be off topic (sort of) but I was reading into the Gyle Centre extending, and was wondering what could mean for all the bus services that terminate/pass through the centre!

I mean there are talks of a 6 screen cinema and an extended food court but I’m wondering where they will get the space to do that :smile: I very much doubt they will knock back the car park or reduce any services going to the centre
Multistory carpark is the way I'd go as they'd actually extend the parking spaces even by using half the space.

JamboCommuter

The bus stances will be in an area which is currently parking spaces. It's going to be sharp left after turning into the current access road. Means it's nearer the tram stop.

The plans are on the council website.

OmniCity999

Established Member
The bus stances will be in an area which is currently parking spaces. It's going to be sharp left after turning into the current access road. Means it's nearer the tram stop.

The plans are on the council website.

having a hard time finding it, looking for the drawings. Are you aware if these are around?

OmniCity999

Established Member

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Does anyone know whats happened to 911? Not been out since early July and its not for repaint (pretty sure)

nicholaswood

Heard an interesting rumour today...

Hearing Lothian are looking at acquiring a fleet of electric mini buses and are in talks with Mercedes (Sprinter City Product) and Mellor (Orion E).
I wonder if this will be for the "Hopper Buses" the council are planning to introduce?

It includes ambitious cycling infrastructure projects, a trial of a city "hopper" bus and car-free streets in the Old Town.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-49613258

takno

Established Member
i certainly hope not, the whole pedestrianisation and hopper bus idea is stupid and unnecessary and only has negatives
I'm quite on board with most of the pedestrianisation, which has the massive upside of removing a bunch of unpleasant road traffic from the centre. The removal of through buses and replacement with hoppers just isn't going to work though

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I'm quite on board with most of the pedestrianisation, which has the massive upside of removing a bunch of unpleasant road traffic from the centre. The removal of through buses and replacement with hoppers just isn't going to work though
the problem is is that with pedestrianisation, all that’s going to do is pit the traffic on other roads which will block them up. the hopper bus idea is bad because they’re removing routes from the city centre wich will remove people from the non city centre routes making them pointless and put loads of people on the routes that do making them full every time

oldman

I'm quite on board with most of the pedestrianisation, which has the massive upside of removing a bunch of unpleasant road traffic from the centre.

Without the Mound, the two main routes through the city - Bridges-Leith Street and Queen Street-West End-Lothian Road are likely to be even worse. They are tackling the problem of traffic at the eastern end of Princes Street, and stopping some rat runs through the Old Town, but that is about all. Instead of small incremental changes (like enforcing parking restrictions and extending bus lanes), which they have neglected for years, they have gone for a big sexy transformation plan.

They say: 'The Strategy does not promote the overall removal of cross-city centre bus services, rather it seeks to ensure vital cross-city centre services are retained but are unhindered by congestion on Princes St.' Which is OK (if your route is deemed vital), but there is little value in making the journey along Princes Street a little easier if there is gridlock at both ends, which there often is and still will be.

SpeedbirdA350

Edinburgh only has limited road space for cars, so needs to limit the number of cars in the city, but every time the council have tried to do this, they have picked an idea out of their backside and thought it to be good when in reality, it was crap. Just like this plan, it's crap.

The congestion on Princes St as has been discussed before is not helped by coaches stopping at hotels for long periods of time, tramline stop meaning single lane road, bus stops being either underused or overused, some too close together, and the mound/hannover st.

Banning non public transport from Hanover St/Mound is a main first step. Congestion charging might be the option that needs to be looked at. Ask the public however and it's like turkeys voting for Christmas.

Mal

Now living in Liverpool, I read The EEN online every day and just cannot believe this idiot idea for the city centre. Have the city fathers completely lost the plot? Why not rip up the tramlines from Princes Street and pedestrianise the whole damn city centre while they are at it? I suppose we can only hope that common sense prevails and this 'plan' is just forgotten. What do locals think of it? It would be interesting to hear their views!

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Now living in Liverpool, I read The EEN online every day and just cannot believe this idiot idea for the city centre. Have the city fathers completely lost the plot? Why not rip up the tramlines from Princes Street and pedestrianise the whole damn city centre while they are at it? I suppose we can only hope that common sense prevails and this 'plan' is just forgotten. What do locals think of it? It would be interesting to hear their views!
i hate the idea of this, there will be more congestion on lothian Road & the bridges wich will slow journeys down and they said they would cut number of buses to the city centre wich is just unnecessary. i dont want to get a bus to the edge to get another into or across the city to then get another bus. it will just add to journey times drastically. and how will they decide what buses to cut? id assume they’d pull numbers out a hat.

Big Ralphie

Think the time has come to ban all cars and vans from the city centre let the buses trams and taxis run without having the congestion either end of princes Street as this is where most people want to get on and off using public transport.

SpeedbirdA350

Think the time has come to ban all cars and vans from the city centre let the buses trams and taxis run without having the congestion either end of princes Street as this is where most people want to get on and off using public transport.
100% for some parts but not all. however council would lose on parking so they wont lose that precious money.

Need to allow tradesmen, delivery people, supermarket deliveries etc to go to houses. Amazon guy needs to get that delivery done too. So a blanket ban won't work but on certain roads/parts, yes.

Big Ralphie

100% for some parts but not all. however council would lose on parking so they wont lose that precious money.

Need to allow tradesmen, delivery people, supermarket deliveries etc to go to houses. Amazon guy needs to get that delivery done too. So a blanket ban won't work but on certain roads/parts, yes.
definitely agree that tradesmen and delivery vehicles could get access during certain times of the day out with peak times under a permit scheme.

Last edited:

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
To have a ban for the city centre for cars you would need to provide more park and ride/choose facilities and make the ones that are already there much bigger, all of these would need sufficient bus/tram/train links to the city centre, that’s the only way a ban could even possibly work

takno

Established Member
i hate the idea of this, there will be more congestion on lothian Road & the bridges wich will slow journeys down and they said they would cut number of buses to the city centre wich is just unnecessary. i dont want to get a bus to the edge to get another into or across the city to then get another bus. it will just add to journey times drastically. and how will they decide what buses to cut? id assume they’d pull numbers out a hat.
The plan also envisages removing something approaching 1000 parking spaces from the centre, reducing capacity for cars from Lothian road and the Bridges, turning the Western approach into a service road and generally banning coaches and service vehicles from the centre. The point isn't to shift the traffic around a bit, it's to force a comprehensive modal shift and just plain get rid of it

Big Ralphie

The plan also envisages removing something approaching 1000 parking spaces from the centre, reducing capacity for cars from Lothian road and the Bridges, turning the Western approach into a service road and generally banning coaches and service vehicles from the centre. The point isn't to shift the traffic around a bit, it's to force a comprehensive modal shift and just plain get rid of it
The council have got to come up with radical proposels not just shifting traffic from A to B and encourage people out of there vehicles to using public transport so less congestion in the heart of the city would mean buses would move quicker and be more reliable so hopefully more people would use them.

oldman

The council have got to come up with radical proposels not just shifting traffic from A to B and encourage people out of there vehicles to using public transport so less congestion in the heart of the city would mean buses would move quicker and be more reliable so hopefully more people would use them.

I suspect what they will do is encourage people to use their cars to go out of town retail and avoid the centre altogether. There is nothing in this plan which is going to encourage modal shift to public transport.

Status
Not open for further replies.