• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scosutsut

10051 now sporting a massive front fleet name in place of the normal sized one. Looks like a kid wearing his dad's suit, alas didn't get a picture.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Yeah assumed they didn't have any front vinyls ready so stuck the larger side one on instead. There's a Lothian XLB done the same which looks equally daft imo
they wouldnt have used the side ones they would have just made a printing error or a spare

sam120

noticed today that marines 177 has high back seats? has this bus had them for a while or am i just behind lol

sam120

Very recent. The 13 plate B7RLE's are getting a little upgrade in line with current standards.
current standards ie charging ports etc?

i think it’s good they’re doing this, it would be good to see possibly 401-425 & 10195-10199 with the same treatment.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
noticed today that marines 177 has high back seats? has this bus had them for a while or am i just behind lol
was wondering why 176/177 have been out since mid july. 362 also has upgraded seating moquettes but not new seats

scotrail158713

Established Member
1070 is on the 47 today. First time I have been aware of an XLB on that route.
Surprised it fits in the roundabout at the Park and Ride. From what I remember other buses just fitted comfortably. I may be wrong though as it’s a while since I’ve been around those parts.

SpeedbirdA350

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Turning circle is better than the B9TL so should have no problem with the roundabout. Also, few weekends ago, the B8Ls were running the 37/47 all day.

http://www.transportengineer.org.uk...buses-unveil-b8l-euro-vi-double-decker/168076

I'm sorry but that is not accurate.

The turning circle of the B8L is not better when compared to a 2 axle B9TL, it is only better when compared to the Tri-axle version of the B9TL, the reason for this is because the B8L has the drive axle in the centre rather than at the rear, so the distance between the front steer axle and the drive axle is shorter than that of a 6X2 B9TL, not that of a 4X2 model, even Lothians LWB examples.

SpeedbirdA350

I'm sorry but that is not accurate.

The turning circle of the B8L is not better when compared to a 2 axle B9TL, it is only better when compared to the Tri-axle version of the B9TL, the reason for this is because the B8L has the drive axle in the centre rather than at the rear, so the distance between the front steer axle and the drive axle is shorter than that of a 6X2 B9TL, not that of a 4X2 model, even Lothians LWB examples.
I stand corrected.

The B8L however has not had any issues on any routes within the city however I think, although I do not know if it was tried on the 1 route (that corner in Corstorphine High St concerns me) although the 1 route would never need that size of vehicle anyway..

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I stand corrected.

The B8L however has not had any issues on any routes within the city however I think, although I do not know if it was tried on the 1 route (that corner in Corstorphine High St concerns me) although the 1 route would never need that size of vehicle anyway..

It's easy to see how you got mixed up as the article doesn't state that the turning circle of a B8L is only better when compared to a 6X2 B9TL. Somewhat misleading.

They've had issues with the junctions on Stanley Road.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I stand corrected.

pretty sure i heard when route testing them, they had difficulty in Mayfield with them

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Tried eve coaches 120 service between North Berwick and Dunbar, such a good service, Hopefully ECB can pick it up if Eve decides to drop it, felt weird paying a £3.50 single between NB-Dunbar though so maybe they could save us 80p :lol:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Tried eve coaches 120 service between North Berwick and Dunbar, such a good service, Hopefully ECB can pick it up if Eve decides to drop it, felt weird paying a £3.50 single between NB-Dunbar though so maybe they could save us 80p :lol:

Not sure why you'd be wishing for an independent to loose a service when it's well operated. This whole "Lothian must run every bus service in the Lothians" rhetoric that enthusiasts from the Edinburgh area seem to have is quite worrying.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Not sure why you'd be wishing for an independent to loose a service when it's well operated. This whole "Lothian must run every bus service in the Lothians" rhetoric that enthusiasts from the Edinburgh area seem to have is quite worrying.

Is it that concerning to be fair? I did agree it was a good service and I think Eve do a fantastic job with it, I’m just saying that it would be nice if ECB did run that service or something similar, so I don’t have to pay twice as much when I’m already using a dayticket. It’s just my opinion though it’s really not a big deal

In Focus

Is it that concerning to be fair? I did agree it was a good service and I think Eve do a fantastic job with it, I’m just saying that it would be nice if ECB did run that service or something similar, so I don’t have to pay twice as much when I’m already using a dayticket. It’s just my opinion though it’s really not a big deal
With the reported lack of drivers within Lothian and ECB I'd be surprised if they stretch any further at this time of uncertainty in Edinburgh.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Yeah. I’ve never used Eve services yet but I’ve used Prentice services numerous times and I like them as an operator.

If you wanted to use your day ticket you could’ve used the X7 Dunbar to Haddington, 104/106 Haddington to Wallyford, and then 124 Wallyford to North Berwick. I wouldn’t fancy that though if it’s just saving me a pound or two.

ian1944

If you wanted to use your day ticket you could’ve used the X7 Dunbar to Haddington, 104/106 Haddington to Wallyford, and then 124 Wallyford to North Berwick. I wouldn’t fancy that though if it’s just saving me a pound or two.

Shorter but not saving as much would be to use the 121 Hadd-NB, also Eve-operated but costing only £2, an amazing price for a rural route. North Berwick is about equidistant from Dunbar and Haddington, but the 121 is longer than the 120 because of the more convoluted route. It's more interesting scenically, too, making the fare a real bargain.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Shorter but not saving as much would be to use the 121 Hadd-NB, also Eve-operated but costing only £2, an amazing price for a rural route. North Berwick is about equidistant from Dunbar and Haddington, but the 121 is longer than the 120 because of the more convoluted route. It's more interesting scenically, too, making the fare a real bargain.

I saw it goes via Drem and East Fortune, was meaning to try that, £2 for a single is pretty good for that route, that’s what makes it’s interesting, had I known I would of gave that a shot instead.

Yeah. I’ve never used Eve services yet but I’ve used Prentice services numerous times and I like them as an operator.

If I had the time and was willing to save money I would of just done that haha but nah I was rather curious to try the 120, I’m surprised ECB have not considered or thought of trying something to link these close but far apart links, or maybe a combo of the 120/121! The East Coast Tour pretty much copied the route up to East Linton, and then it was a rather cool mystery, that’s what I love about East Lothian is how expansive it is

scotrail158713

Established Member
If I had the time and was willing to save money I would of just done that haha but nah I was rather curious to try the 120, I’m surprised ECB have not considered or thought of trying something to link these close but far apart links, or maybe a combo of the 120/121! The East Coast Tour pretty much copied the route up to East Linton, and then it was a rather cool mystery, that’s what I love about East Lothian is how expansive it is
I don’t think it would go down well at all if ECB took these routes. When they launched the 106 Prentice Coaches were not happy, quite rightly, as it was a complete copy of their 108.
Although, the council contract will be coming up for renewal for both these routes in the not too distant future so they may well go for them then.

OmniCity999

Established Member
I don’t think it would go down well at all if ECB took these routes. When they launched the 106 Prentice Coaches were not happy, quite rightly, as it was a complete copy of their 108.
Although, the council contract will be coming up for renewal for both these routes in the not too distant future so they may well go for them then.

ECB wont take any rural council funded routes.

They dont pay well
They dont have small enough buses
They dont have enough drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.