• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Bus 8 has the dest font changed. Not a big fan of it to be honest. (NOT MY PHOTO, Credits to Stuart R Barber) https://www.flickr.com/photos/barberbus/49680248562/

I wish they'd ditch that format of display and just go for the 'standard style' of having a route number, final destination and via points underneath. It would certainly make things easier for tourists. The only real reason they don't have via points is because they want it to look like a roll blind.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

buslad1988

take it the service must be dropping below a sunday service if thats the case
Wouldn’t be at all surprised if they do drop to the ‘new’ Sunday service ongoing from the 29th... hardly anyone out on the buses today and it’ll only worsen now pubs, gyms etc are closed.

Also they’ve only released this coming weeks worth of shifts to staff.

They’ll still need to change routes/times on Sunday as presumably the Leith Walk tram works and closure will still be taking place.

On a side note I hope now the schools are out the buses don’t become kids clubs for youths who have nothing better to do and whose parents punt them off for the day with a day ticket! This in turn potentially spreading the virus further.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
X15 and 45 are not running, a number of services are reduced to 20/30 minutes with the 63 for example reducing to hourly.

you can view the timings here https://www.lothianbuses.com/timetable/?service_name=2 by adjusting the service number from the drop down.

I wonder if a number of services (with the exception of those with low bridges) will be upgraded to double deck operation to minimise crowding?

I really don't think there's going to be a crowding problem, it's eerily quiet on all services. I'm surprised they've kept frequencies so high, particularly on the 30.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
On a side note I hope now the schools are out the buses don’t become kids clubs for youths who have nothing better to do and whose parents punt them off for the day with a day ticket! This in turn potentially spreading the virus further.
me and my mates have that as a backup plan if things get boring considering theres nothing to do and ive heard same applies for other teams aswell

Auld reekie

I really don't think there's going to be a crowding problem, it's eerily quiet on all services. I'm surprised they've kept frequencies so high, particularly on the 30.
They have got to go through the Traffic Commission to change frequencies.

SpeedbirdA350

I'm not suprised to see the 100 going to be every 30 minutes and no night service, but it looks like service 22, 30 etc are still every 10 minutes? Or have they not updated those yet...

Driver362

I wish they'd ditch that format of display and just go for the 'standard style' of having a route number, final destination and via points underneath. It would certainly make things easier for tourists. The only real reason they don't have via points is because they want it to look like a roll blind.
Appart from the word "via" blinds still had intermidiate points. Was via points and scrolling not a dislike of Mr Hall?

kje7812

34 and 35 have the same frequency on a Saturday as a weekday. That's definitely not needed, they've been dead this past week and now that Heriot-Watt and Naiper are shut to teaching there's no need. Sunday service on these two would fit much better.

Established Member
The problem with mixing Saturday and Sunday services is it would involve creating all new shifts to fit round it, which would be something of a nightmare and most likely not possible in such a short time frame.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
They have got to go through the Traffic Commission to change frequencies.
The problem with mixing Saturday and Sunday services is it would involve creating all new shifts to fit round it, which would be something of a nightmare and most likely not possible in such a short time frame.

The shifts I've seen appear to be 'new', but perhaps not all of them.

Last edited:

buslad1988

34 and 35 have the same frequency on a Saturday as a weekday. That's definitely not needed, they've been dead this past week and now that Heriot-Watt and Naiper are shut to teaching there's no need. Sunday service on these two would fit much better.
Give it a week and with the service change I’m sure they’ll downgrade to a Sunday service on everything... they’ll be haemorrhaging money otherwise.

Also worth taking into consideration that even by dropping to next weeks level of service there’s going to be a lot of drivers left sitting around doing nothing... so by implementing a Sunday service too quickly that’ll result in even more drivers freed up. They’ll obviously be expecting a vast number to be going off sick in due course but for now...

Worst case scenario for drivers is having their working week cut to 3-4 days. All depends how long this lasts and how many staff they have available.

oldman

If the government is paying most of the cost, you could offer paid leave of absence to parents and older people, and run much more limited below-Sunday frequencies with earlier starts. Would need work on the details of course.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
pretty much all of Centrals 57 plate B9s, 369, a couple XLBs and most of the tour buses now at Newbridge. hoping since its only a saturday service some B7s will squeeze out since ive not been on one in weeks

There's a mix of vehicles of all ages/types now VOR due to the reduction.

BobScott

Why do they want it to look like a roller blind?

Aesthetic reasons, it's the same in London. All seems rather pointless to me as surely you'd want to show as much information on the display as sensibly possible.
They should program some animations so it scrolls vertically when the driver changes the destination! :p

Jordan Adam

Established Member
.....you know how things go.....
give it a few years and the next "big thing" will be roller blinds again :lol::p

I'd doubt that, roller blinds (much like flip-dots) are highly inefficient, redundant and a waste of money given how far other technologies have came.

Status
Not open for further replies.