• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the replies to my question about the tables.
I have another question, can anyone confirm that the Gemini 3 B5 Skylink vehicles 431-437, and the B5H vehicles 551-570, were ordered/delivered immediately one after another, in that order? The number plates appear to run sequentially but the Skylink vehicles have high-back seats (which appear to be what Lothian are choosing, going forward), but I'm sure the 2015 hybrids have low-back seats, so why would Lothian order buses with high-back and then order a subsequent batch with low-back? Unless the seats have been changed since delivery.
Sorry for so many questions, I'm trying to create a summary of all current Lothian-group vehicles, ordered by year entered service with Lothian, containing details such as body type, engine, seats, livery, etc.
Thanks in advance for all answers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OmniCity999

Established Member
I have another question, can anyone confirm that the Gemini 3 B5 Skylink vehicles 431-437, and the B5H vehicles 551-570, were ordered/delivered immediately one after another, in that order? The number plates appear to run sequentially but the Skylink vehicles have high-back seats (which appear to be what Lothian are choosing, going forward), but I'm sure the 2015 hybrids have low-back seats, so why would Lothian order buses with high-back and then order a subsequent batch with low-back? Unless the seats have been changed since delivery.
Sorry for so many questions, I'm trying to create a summary of all current Lothian-group vehicles, ordered by year entered service with Lothian, containing details such as body type, engine, seats, livery, etc.

Yes they arrived shortly after each other. 426 - 437 were Airlink vehicles before 431-437 went to Skylink and 426-430 went to main fleet as i described in my message above. As they were Airlink vehicles, they had high back seats. 551-570 were regular service vehicles and at the time the spec of regular service vehicles was low back seats. There are still a few high back seats in them though.

The spec has now changed and all new deliveries since 2016 have high back seats.

From my previous message:
426, 428 - 430 - were repainted and internally refreshed into regular fleet colours. Gaining bandit screens too.They also gained the info screens in the upper deck front window.
427 - remained with Airlink for longer. it eventually got repainted and kept its luggage racks and tables, but had new seat fabrics. Gaining bandit screens too. Never received the info screens in the upper deck front window. I believe it has since lost its tables.
431 - 437 - internally refreshed and joining Skylink in their colours, gaining bandit screens. Never received the info screens in the upper deck front window.

Also, the most recent fleetlist us available here attached to this message. The vehicle allocations are pre lockdown.

This contains all the information you're looking for.

Attachments

• Lothian Group Single List APRIL 2020.pdf
    430 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

ScotRail158725

Established Member
426-437 were new as airlink vehicles hence why the high back seats and 551-570 were new into the city fleet hence low back ones

Yes they arrived shortly after each other. 426 - 437 were Airlink vehicles before 431-437 went to Skylink and 426-430 went to main fleet as i described in my message above. As they were Airlink vehicles, they had high back seats. 551-570 were regular service vehicles and at the time the spec of regular service vehicles was low back seats. There are still a few high back seats in them though.

The spec has now changed and all new deliveries since 2016 have high back seats.

From my previous message:
426-437 were new as airlink vehicles hence why the high back seats and 551-570 were new into the city fleet hence low back ones
Thanks to both.

Auld reekie

I’m sure Lothian Buses contract with the No20 and No63 buses is due to end soon.
Does anyone know the date for the changeover to First Bus?

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I’m sure Lothian Buses contract with the No20 and No63 buses is due to end soon.
Does anyone know the date for the changeover to First Bus?

I've heard June 20th is/was supposed to be the last day, with it going over to First on Sunday 21st. Can anyone confirm?

SpeedbirdA350

Ive not been on a bus in a long time, however I did wonder what Lothian had done vs other operators. First for example has said they will run at 25% capacity maximum, and I think have on their app the capability to see which bus is full (to 25%) and which has safe spaces. Has Lothian taped off certain rows to help with this? I'd personally argue that common sense should be applied but then quickly remembered that some people don't have any so need guided.

Lothian has also (according to their website) blocked the first 2 seats near the drivers cab. I assume they mean the single seat near the door that some have but what about the 2 rows on the B5LHs that is for the disabled, where the batterys are? Those seats are brilliant for those with mobility issues, although I assume they are more than 2m from the cab anyway?

What else has changed? I think I read that they put plastic over the holes in the cab bandit screen too which is good. I think if they done similar re the app that First will be using could be helpful too. Perhaps could be used to add/remove buses as needed on some services.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Ive not been on a bus in a long time, however I did wonder what Lothian had done vs other operators. First for example has said they will run at 25% capacity maximum, and I think have on their app the capability to see which bus is full (to 25%) and which has safe spaces. Has Lothian taped off certain rows to help with this? I'd personally argue that common sense should be applied but then quickly remembered that some people don't have any so need guided.

Lothian has also (according to their website) blocked the first 2 seats near the drivers cab. I assume they mean the single seat near the door that some have but what about the 2 rows on the B5LHs that is for the disabled, where the batterys are? Those seats are brilliant for those with mobility issues, although I assume they are more than 2m from the cab anyway?

What else has changed? I think I read that they put plastic over the holes in the cab bandit screen too which is good. I think if they done similar re the app that First will be using could be helpful too. Perhaps could be used to add/remove buses as needed on some services.
was on an XLB on the 3 this afternoon, was half full downstairs and no seats were blocked off

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
The fundamental problem is people still think its ok to use the bus for anything, some able bodied people are getting on buses for as little as 1 stop, but most are 3-4 which is (in the majority of cases) walkable. Lothian really need to start blocking off rows though as too many people are sitting downstairs and too many are sitting in row after row and not every second one when there’s normally space to do it. The other thing I’ve noticed is people taking trips on buses to town and using shops in the City Centre rather then local supermarkets etc, none of this is Lothian’s fault just people’s stupidity.

Travelling by bus is certainly not enjoyable atmo, I’d rather drive in like most of my colleagues but my car is in Fife having just been restored and so I can’t get access to it atmo.

The Ridacard payment issue doesn’t seem to be going away tho, day after day I’m seeing people complain about a lack of flexibility from Lothian. From what I’m told they’re still paying everyone and not using the furlough scheme. I’m kind of balanced between both tbh, one side being well why should we pay when we aren’t getting a full service which I get and the other being that Lothian still have a full roster of staff to pay, again which I understand. The whole ‘just cancel it’ option isn’t very helpful as nobody knew how long this was going to last for in the first place, in hindsight the majority that have one would’ve been better cancelling it and getting a new one when needed, but obviously that was never really an option. It personally doesn’t bother me (I’m still using mine anwyay) and I understand what it’s going towards, but I just thought I’d bring it up to see what others think about it.

The thing is after this public transport (like many other industries) is going to take a hit for a while so Lothian (and others) will need to make changes (whether that a reduction in fares or rerouting networks etc) in order to make the bus attractive again as many people will simply be put off by the idea of going to work by bus.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
The fundamental problem is people still think its ok to use the bus for anything, some able bodied people are getting on buses for as little as 1 stop, but most are 3-4 which is (in the majority of cases) walkable. Lothian really need to start blocking off rows though as too many people are sitting downstairs and too many are sitting in row after row and not every second one when there’s normally space to do it. The other thing I’ve noticed is people taking trips on buses to town and using shops in the City Centre rather then local supermarkets etc, none of this is Lothian’s fault just people’s stupidity.

Travelling by bus is certainly not enjoyable atmo, I’d rather drive in like most of my colleagues but my car is in Fife having just been restored and so I can’t get access to it atmo.

The Ridacard payment issue doesn’t seem to be going away tho, day after day I’m seeing people complain about a lack of flexibility from Lothian. From what I’m told they’re still paying everyone and not using the furlough scheme. I’m kind of balanced between both tbh, one side being well why should we pay when we aren’t getting a full service which I get and the other being that Lothian still have a full roster of staff to pay, again which I understand. The whole ‘just cancel it’ option isn’t very helpful as nobody knew how long this was going to last for in the first place, in hindsight the majority that have one would’ve been better cancelling it and getting a new one when needed, but obviously that was never really an option. It personally doesn’t bother me (I’m still using mine anwyay) and I understand what it’s going towards, but I just thought I’d bring it up to see what others think about it.

The thing is after this public transport (like many other industries) is going to take a hit for a while so Lothian (and others) will need to make changes (whether that a reduction in fares or rerouting networks etc) in order to make the bus attractive again as many people will simply be put off by the idea of going to work by bus.

The furlough scheme is being used for all drivers who volunteered to go onto it. Drivers are slowly being asked to return to work though, as I understand on a voluntary basis at the moment.

scotrail158713

Established Member
was on an XLB on the 3 this afternoon, was half full downstairs and no seats were blocked off
too many people are sitting downstairs and too many are sitting in row after row
I’d noticed that on Friday when I was in Musselburgh (first time I’d ventured more than 3 miles from home during lockdown actually). There were a good number of buses which were almost full downstairs but empty upstairs - why would you do that? As @SpeedbirdA350 says, there’s a lack of common sense among people.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
There were a good number of buses which were almost full downstairs but empty upstairs - why would you do that?

It's completely baffling, i've seen a fair bit of that myself. I can quite understand more elderly or less abled people wanting to sit downstairs, but if you don't fall into those two categories I don't see any reason why not to sit upstairs during these times. Unless of course they're only travelling two or three stops, in which case you'd wonder if the journey was necessary at all?

It's completely baffling, i've seen a fair bit of that myself. I can quite understand more elderly or less abled people wanting to sit downstairs, but if you don't fall into those two categories I don't see any reason why not to sit upstairs during these times. Unless of course they're only travelling two or three stops, in which case you'd wonder if the journey was necessary at all?
Perhaps passengers are discouraged from climbing the stairs by the amount of potentially contaminated railings they would need to touch. Also it might turn out to be even busier upstairs and then they'd need to come back down again. I think that sometimes happened prior to virus concerns.

scotrail158713

Established Member
Also it might turn out to be even busier upstairs and then they'd need to come back down again. I think that sometimes happened prior to virus concerns.
You can usually see upstairs before you get on the bus how busy it looks so if it looks busy don’t bother but if it’s not then you could go up

SpeedbirdA350

Perhaps passengers are discouraged from climbing the stairs by the amount of potentially contaminated railings they would need to touch. Also it might turn out to be even busier upstairs and then they'd need to come back down again. I think that sometimes happened prior to virus concerns.
All they need to do is ask the driver if it is busy upstairs. Can see on the monitor in a second if it's busy or not.

You can usually see upstairs before you get on the bus how busy it looks so if it looks busy don’t bother but if it’s not then you could go up
While this is usually the way most would look, if the bus is coming from around a blind bend, or corner, or perhaps is queuing up behind other buses, it can obscure the view in to the upper deck.

OmniCity999

Established Member
You can all officially stop commenting on size and turning circles etc. The unthinkable has happened!

XLB's on Tranent 26's today. That's gotta be rare owing to the turn in Presronpans...

Although I imagine if the roads were busy it would be a very bad idea.

Last edited:

CN04NRJ

Established Member
You can all officially stop commenting on size and turning circles etc. The unthinkable has happened!

XLB's on Tranent 26's today. That's gotta be rare owing to the turn in Presronpans...

Is that just about every DD route (and the 48) they've been on now with the critical services timetable?

OmniCity999

Established Member
So much for them being too big to make X/Y/Z turnings then :lol:

I believe theres some sort of rule in place regarding that, but I think it's more for when traffic is normal, to allow more space and time for drivers to make decisions and maneuvers. If they fit round Ayres Wynd, theres not many places they wont fit, and for something that long with no rear wheel steer, that's impressive. But again, it's not enough to commend the engineering involved in the vehicles, it would only be right to commend professional drivers too!

Last edited:

scotrail158713

Established Member

Although I imagine if the roads were busy it would be a very bad idea.
Fair enough - they really do make it just about anywhere.

Lothian_Bus

I haven't been aware of an XLB on service 4 yet. I could be wrong and have missed that though.

Interesting that the XLB’s are currently not operating on three of the four main routes they would normally be on - the 7,11 and 31.

Status
Not open for further replies.