• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam120

I took a look at what was on the x31 this morning.

488, 960, 399, 902 and 903. All Marine vehicles.

There are 6 morning journeys so the one I didn't see could be Central operated.

it’s the first one leaving bonnyrigg high street at 06:50

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sam120

looking on lvf.io i’ve seen 884 used on the x31 today.
It was 884 this morning. That bus seems to do:
-dead central to rosewell-
06:34 X31 to Haymarket (07:35)
-dead to Atholl Crescent to Hanover St-
07:49 67 to Bush (08:48)
-dead to Gowkley Moss to Peni Deanburn-
09:00 X37 to Granton (10:18)
10:25 47 to Ladywood
-day on 47s-
17:06 47 to Ladywood (18:39)
-dead to ladywood to gowkley moss-
19:02 67 to Hanover St. (19:39)
-dead to hanover st to central-

correct me if you think i’ve made a mistake :)

kje7812

I've noticed a new contactless reader on the number 4 these past couple of days. Could this just possibly be the herald of a new era of contactless payment on Lothian Buses? Be still my beating heart...

(Having just returned from a long weekend in That London, where the only time I used cash was to tip waiting staff and doormen, Lothian Buses suddenly feels very 20th century compared to TfL.)
I believe it was said up thread that it may be January when contactless is lanuched after all of the lothian fleet gets the new machines.

Ah found it. See post #896

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
If that’s true then 2019 might be a good start for the Lothian family, is it just the city buses or will ECB & LCB get then also?

ejstubbs

I believe it was said up thread that it may be January when contactless is lanuched after all of the lothian fleet gets the new machines.

Ah found it. See post #896

Brilliant, many thanks!

Will be interested to see how it all works for other than single person single journeys (day tickets, adults paying for kids and other such transactions).

Hopefully I can avoid having to top-up my Citysmart card* before then. I only use it for the odd day here and there when it's not worth topping up my Ridacard eg because I'm going to be out of town for while. (I can't use m-tickets because my phone is rooted.)

OmniCity999

Established Member
Dual doors are back. Looks like the Crest is too.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1541686288305.jpg
    FB_IMG_1541686288305.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 113

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
It does look rather good - I note they've gone with "Lothiancity" as the fleetname too.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
From what i've heard it's "key routes in the city", so i'd guess the likes of the 22 and 26.
The 31 is what I have been quoted. I have also been told that the 22 is not receiving them - this makes sense as the 22s are pretty dead between City Centre and the Gyle because of the tram (and the 12, which is marginally quicker?)

kje7812

The 31 is what I have been quoted. I have also been told that the 22 is not receiving them - this makes sense as the 22s are pretty dead between City Centre and the Gyle because of the tram (and the 12, which is marginally quicker?)
Also the 22 and 26 have had new buses in the past 2 years while the 31 has not.

Aren't there still some Wright double deckers on order as well?

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
My logic was that they were being allocated to the 22, so that the B5TLs could go on the 31. That isn't the case though.

42 of them must mean they're going on at least 2 routes

Darklord8899

I think they look beautiful. I hope they are as comfy as they are pretty!

I'm guessing that we will now have Lothian City, Lothian Country and East Coast Buses, or will East Coast Buses and Lothian Country become one?
So there is the City operation and the out of city operation, possibly with an 'out of city' Ridacard offering?

Gingerbus1991

My logic was that they were being allocated to the 22, so that the B5TLs could go on the 31. That isn't the case though.

42 of them must mean they're going on at least 2 routes
They might not even be dedicated to particular services, perhaps they’ll be allocated to several particular peak time bus boards, They may even be operated to use there double-doors but only at peaks?!

Gingerbus1991

I think they look beautiful. I hope they are as comfy as they are pretty!

I'm guessing that we will now have Lothian City, Lothian Country and East Coast Buses, or will East Coast Buses and Lothian Country become one?
So there is the City operation and the out of city operation, possibly with an 'out of city' Ridacard offering?
I doubt ECB and LCB will become one, there drivers are on different pay grades for one thing, LCB drivers use the same contracts as LB city drivers do, East Coast drivers also have other benefits to them, including uniform too all east coast drivers also get a free choice of Shoes with uniform orders, as I’m aware this is because First used to offer there drivers this, unsure if they still do, it was apparently union agreement when Lothian purchased the East Coast Depot.

SpeedbirdA350

13.4m... longest in the fleet history I think. 2m longer than any double we have currently. Also, first twin rear axel as far as I can recall too? I wonder why they decided on putting the twin door back on. Speed of boarding perhaps as I found it to be slower when they got rid but then, why did they remove the rear door from the ex londoners.

Given the bus in the image is based at central (do we know if they all will be based at central?) then it possibly rules out many services.

Mal

That is a great looking bus and the double doors will help reduce dwell time at stops. I'm still not certain about the livery, but I never thought I would see the city crest on an Edinburgh bus again! I'm impressed and like the name Lothiancity. Now, how about roller blinds just to add the final touch?:lol:

overthewater

Established Member
I thought it was 1st April! these look smashing... I wonder if First are looking at these for certain areas.. Aberdeen for starters...

22 deffo not getting these the route dead,

mullac30

That is a great looking bus and the double doors will help reduce dwell time at stops. I'm still not certain about the livery, but I never thought I would see the city crest on an Edinburgh bus again! I'm impressed and like the name Lothiancity. Now, how about roller blinds just to add the final touch?:lol:
It is a bit featureless compared to the standard livery

mullac30

Not certain what 'standard livery' you mean, but I would have preferred the Edinburgh Corporation livery of madder and white before Harlequins came in.
The livery that is applied to the new Geminis

MrHopefull

We are excited to let you all know that earlier today, Thursday 8th November, we unveiled our new double deck vehicles at Alexander Dennis Limited (ADL) in Falkirk to the Cabinet Secretary for Transport, Infrastructure and Connectivity, Michael Matheson MSP, trade press and local media.

These brand new 100-seat Enviro400XLB three-axle double deckers are a UK first and have been developed in close collaboration with ADL and chassis manufacturer Volvo. Fitted with the latest Euro 6 technology these vehicles have been designed to offer extra capacity for busy routes across our network and will also allow us to reintroduce middle doors for the first time since 2009 to speed up journey times and ease congestion in our city.

These vehicles have also been fitted with further improved customer and driver features including comfortable high-backed seating, Wi-Fi, USB charging and audio-visual stop announcements enhancing the experience onboard.

We can’t wait to take delivery of these vehicles across the start of 2019 and look forward to continuing our partnership with ADL for the benefit of our customers and our business.

Richard

Managing Director, Lothian

Strathclyder

Established Member
Have to say that looks an utterly cracking machine; a trip over to Edinburgh in January now looks to be on the cards lol The return of the crest is a nice touch too.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
They might not even be dedicated to particular services, perhaps they’ll be allocated to several particular peak time bus boards, They may even be operated to use there double-doors but only at peaks?!
That sounds like a waste of 42 buses to me. There's a reason why it's usually older buses allocated to the peak time only services. :rolleyes:

oldman

I like the curved ends to the diagonals and fewer gold stripes, and the glazing of the stair is neater as well, but the only thing I care about is the seat spacing. Sadly there are fewer of the mid-noughties buses on the 11/16 nowadays and I pray we won't get any of the new generation any time soon.

Darklord8899

....seat spacing was one of my major bug bears with the old Scanias, couldn't sit without my knees buried into the back of the seat in front of me....

Status
Not open for further replies.