• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Read something on Twitter that East Coast will be announcing a date to roll on Contactless, seems the out of city areas are a hitting priority now

Driver362

Yeah we have it at lcb ,works a treat ,on the subject of B5 lh is when it pulls away in not sure which gear as display only shows D obviously varies depending on situation, is when pulling away at a round about it dose this big rev round to 2200rpm then a pause of what feels like an eternity then next gears come fine ,cars are on you before you know it ! However mid range torque is excellent,actually puts a smile on your face and they gather speed very quickly thereafter, the ex bulocks one's are the same ,572 was my fav when we had it on loan from lothian, just an example of the torque is going over wet motorway bridge expansion gaps it will spin the wheels momentarily,can only assume it's the electric motor that provides that ?

Last edited:

Gingerbus1991

volvo-truck-dual-clutch-gearbox-1.jpeg volvo-truck-dual-clutch-gearbox-0.jpeg volvo-truck-dual-clutch-gearbox.jpg
Yeah we have it at lcb ,works a treat ,on the subject of B5 lh is when it pulls away in not sure which gear as display only shows D obviously varies depending on situation, is when pulling away at a round about it dose this big rev round to 2200rpm then a pause of what feels like an eternity then next gears come fine ,cars are on you before you know it ! However mid range torque is excellent,actually puts a smile on your face and they gather speed very quickly thereafter, the ex bulocks one's are the same ,572 was my fav when we had it on loan from lothian, just an example of the torque is going over wet motorway bridge expansion gaps it will spin the wheels momentarily,can only assume it's the electric motor that provides that ?
If a dual-clutch variant was fitted it'd do without the lengthy gap between gears.

The LH's are OK provided the batteries have enough charge in them to help out the engine.

The 7900h singles have the same electric motor and engine yet they are more sluggish all round, something I suspect with there engine/gearbox mapping to be different than that of the deckers.

Driver362

Yes possibly agree with battery statement if your not using the brakes a lot there the battery can be low in the situation I described I had full charge in battery,however can't comment on the 7900's as I've never driven one

Jordan Adam

Established Member

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
It's probably just a public launch like we saw with buses in the past. The whole thing is madness and ridiculous anyway

SpeedbirdA350

I thought the B8L's would launch on 3rd Feb 2019. Makes me wonder why they have used the pic of the B8L in that tweet... Still, as Flybe said, it's probably a soft launch in Castle Street like they did with the 7905LH's.

VioletEclipse

I thought the B8L's would launch on 3rd Feb 2019. Makes me wonder why they have used the pic of the B8L in that tweet... Still, as Flybe said, it's probably a soft launch in Castle Street like they did with the 7905LH's.
Could be, but I wish they'd announce when and where the launch will be...

mark-h

I saw two of the now, long, two door B8Ls driving along York place (presumably heading towards Annandale St) this evening. I think they were on trade plates. Did not manage to get a photo.

Lothian_Bus

Yes I just saw 1069 at the East End of Princes Street. No time for a photo but I was able to see it was also a CE depot allocation.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
So in 2027 there will all be sold off and never talked about again..

Funnily enough i just said exactly that to someone elsewhere...

I somewhat agree though, this time in 10 years they won't be in Edinburgh anymore, they're just far too big for Edinburgh and the lack of steering tag axle really is a big punch in the stomach... They should have just went for 12M examples, but no they wanted to brag about 100 seats. Yet another TfE vanity project that hasn't been fully thought out! :frown:

It's a shame as they look brilliant and the specification on them internally is top notch.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
2025 is optimistic. If I were Lothian I'd flog them to HKG (Where they belong) and bring in some much needed regular new ones, could be B5 Gemini3's or I'd like to see some E40D's (MMC Body) in Edinburgh

Been thinking as well if Lothian could buy some more Londoners then they could be used on the routes that don't need the full length Doubles but equally can't be singles: Some of the routes that definitely would suit include

21, 29, 49

Some Potential

1, 2, 4, 8, 12, 14, 15, 19, 24, 33, 36, 45, 47

Obviously the 29 is already one but I'm just listing them all

The 1 and 2 could go down to Every 20 with peak enhancements. Both are badly overcrowded during the peak. Some could increase or decrease. Not sure about 12. Some are probably bad suggestions (notably in the peak) but it's just from my own experiences when on them

Just to clarify the 6 Probably doesn't need these

Hope.
They're currently being rolled out at Longstone this month, then Central next month and Marine in November.

Contactless payment should be coming in January, from what I've been told.

I'm led to believe it is regarding the launch of contactless payments.

Followed by disappointment.
That's due to be mid 2019 as far as I'm aware
When it does eventually launch do we know if it will work like Oyster with daily capping?

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The B8Ls would probably have been better suited in Glasgow, but even then i think they're rather idiotic. I'd like to know what sort of tool decided to buy them without tag axles, was it Tim O'Toole? (sarcasm). As i say they should have just went with 12M examples rather than these 13M examples which have the turning circle of HMS Britannia!

I think we need a new thread with a poll asking how many days (from them entering service) it takes one of them to get stuck!

Status
Not open for further replies.