• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerbus1991

Never seen any evidence that the "Edinburgh lot" want any such thing, and frankly a fair amount of evidence that it just confuses the hell out of most non regular customers. It is what it is, and probably helps less able customers, but I'm sure most people would be more comfortable if they didn't do it
Drove there for 8 months and that is certainly the attitude from at least a few people on a few circumstances where I was a hairs breath away from the shelter itself, I recall people saying I shouldve drove forward further, so bloody glad I don’t work alongside that “Lot”, there much harder to please that end of the M8.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Drove there for 8 months and that is certainly the attitude from at least a few people on a few circumstances where I was a hairs breath away from the shelter itself, I recall people saying I shouldve drove forward further
On the other hand, in 7 years of driving for them, I've only encountered that twice.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Here is a semi-updated Fleet List for those interested.

This list is just the subsidiary companies, not the Lothian City fleet. An entire company fleet list will be out next month. I have however, included what we know about the EnviroXLB's.

East Coast Buses
Lothian Country Buses
Edinburgh Bus Tours
Lothian Motorcoaches
Edinburgh Trams
Lothian Buses Airport Service Branded Vehicles
Lothian Preserved/Semi Preserved
Lothian Training Fleet

A wee update for those interested

Attachments

• Subsidiary List Feb 2019.pdf
    187.8 KB · Views: 46

SpeedbirdA350

I am always interested OmniCity999, thanks for the update :) I think you made a small error on the 100 seater section though. It should say B8L in chassis, not B8TL

Last edited:

SpeedbirdA350

I sense that edinburghs public feel entitled to have the bus float up to them with the door at there feet, they really do not like working, edinburgh public visiting glasgow however would get a culture shock, pretty much in glasgow you put your hand out or step forward or you don’t get a bus.

The edinburgh lot expect you to be a mind reader!

Yet again the “stop at flag” nonsense is lothians idea of excellent customer service, questionable to be fair.
I have to disagree with you. Stop at the flag policy is perfect for those who have a visual impairment. It has not been the first time I have seen a bus in Glasgow pull away from a stop where a blind person wanted it but the bus was a bus behind when it pulled away and they had to wait another 15/20 minutes.

OmniCity999

Established Member
I am always interested OmniCity999, thanks for the update :) I think you made a small error on the 100 seater section though. It should say B8L in chassis, not B8TL

The engine is traverse, so technically B8TL is correct, however B8L is more commonly used.

Last edited:

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The engine is traverse, B8TL is correct, however B8L is more commonly used.

B8L is the correct name. The engine on them is not transverse, it's longitudinal and offset to the left as seen here. (much like the previous B7L & B10L)
1860x1050-Galler3-B8L-Buses-BRI-2018.jpg

The reason Volvo went with a transverse engine on the B7TL, B9TL and then B5TL is because it allows the distance between the drive axle and engine to be shorter, thus creating a shorter rear overhang. With the B8L they've went with the standard length of rear overhang for a single decker and then simply put the tag axle behind the drive axle rather than ahead.

Last edited:

Gingerbus1991

I have to disagree with you. Stop at the flag policy is perfect for those who have a visual impairment. It has not been the first time I have seen a bus in Glasgow pull away from a stop where a blind person wanted it but the bus was a bus behind when it pulled away and they had to wait another 15/20 minutes.
Personally when the bus in front pulls away and I am driving the bus behind, yet I have had all my passengers loaded I have always been vigilant of the signs of those impaired, if I had to stop again and open my doors for such a thing I would do.

Realistically how often do you find someone with a visually problem at bus stops, not often, if there are loads of people waiting at a bus shelter and none of them are blind it does mean that you can load and get off quicker than gliding up to the shelter with your door right next too it.

Last edited:

SpeedbirdA350

Aesthetic purposes. 68 plate suggests September 2018 where as 19 plate suggests March 2019. Handy for resell value too I guess.
What I am confused about is if 1065 was registered as SC68LCE and had been driven on the road to go to the castle for the photo-shoot, how could it legally be re registered as a newer vehicle? Only thing I can think of is they used trade plates to drive it there and back but can anyone confirm this?

Gingerbus1991

Some of them must already be 68 plates, a 19 plate will likely appear on the vehicles yet to be delivered to lothian.

Darklord8899

...seems a bit odd going to all the bother (and expense?) Of re-registering a 68 plate to a 19 plate....

....or am I missing something here.....

OmniCity999

Established Member
Aesthetic purposes. 68 plate suggests September 2018 where as 19 plate suggests March 2019. Handy for resell value too I guess.
What I am confused about is if 1065 was registered as SC68LCE and had been driven on the road to go to the castle for the photo-shoot, how could it legally be re registered as a newer vehicle? Only thing I can think of is they used trade plates to drive it there and back but can anyone confirm this?

Sure most of the lot that were at the castle were on tradeplates, indicating they haven't been tax'd or registered meaning they can be regestered on a newer plate. Its trival cost for a company the size of Lothian.

alangla

Being registered at the Volvo dealer in Hillington/Cardonald maybe?

EDIT- London-centric autocorrect!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.