• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darklord8899

I am wondering where the buses will terminate and turn round in Morningside and Brunstane, and if 112/701 will be there too.
Also it specified that it is an 'Easter Vintage Running Day' so does that mean we could have another one the 28th of September (Doors Open Day)?

They will use the turning circle half way along Balcarres Street. (Used by 23 in the past and the old short workings of the 5)
At Brunstane they could possibly turn at Magdalene Drive, as the road layout is such that there is a "turning circle" of sorts.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VioletEclipse

They will use the turning circle half way along Balcarres Street. (Used by 23 in the past and the old short workings of the 5)
At Brunstane they could possibly turn at Magdalene Drive, as the road layout is such that there is a "turning circle" of sorts.
That would make sense :) I wonder how many vintage buses they'll send out, and if 112/701 will be there too.

Darklord8899

That would make sense :) I wonder how many vintage buses they'll send out, and if 112/701 will be there too.

Now, answers to those questions, I do not have :s
From Edinburgh Evening News website today...
"Lothian Buses is bringing out three of its most celebrated vintage vehicles - the Daimler CVG6, Volvo Olympian and Lelyand Atlantean - on Saturday, April 13." @VioletEclipse

....Though might see a Trident on it :lol: so no Trident *sad face*

Last edited:

alchemy

Also B7 update 778/787 are back at Central from Marine Car Park, 775/784/788/789 are now Longstone based however no 55s have been Withdrawn, 786 is now Marine bases, 767/771/772/779-781/811/815/820/825 remain withdrawn at Marine Car Park
Don't know what s going on but 825 back at Central 815 at Marine 820 on the 33 and 811 at Longstone or at least that's what Tracker is showing at 10.30 pm

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I really dont see how Tridents and a number of B7s are out when theres always a good 20 odd buses parked in each depot during peak times..

Darklord8899

I driven those tridents, there in better nick than alot of the volvos.

And from a passenger point of view, I agree, the Tridents are in better nick than a lot of the Volvos!

I suspect if the Tridents were given a fresh interior and repaint then the average punter would think they were brand new, or nearly new buses, at least!

ScotRail158725

Established Member
B7s moves appear to be finished now, New Allocations: 772 back at Central, 771/775/778/780/781/784/788/789/811/825 now Longstone Based, 767/786 now Marine based with 779/787 still withdrawn at Marine now joined by 726-731

SpeedbirdA350

It looks like a bus war is heading back to the city. I can't copy n paste from that site as they don't let me copy but I wonder what routes they'd actually do. Unsure how they could be faster than Lothian too but I guess if many passengers already have a ridacard, they'd have to wait on a LB service so First would leave the stop faster.

https://www.swd.media/news/scotland...us-wars-set-to-return-to-the-capital-1-14348/

I'm not sure tbh that they'd win a war with Lothian. I assume they will drive buses in from Livingston daily as they have no depot in Edinburgh, and they got rid of the depot at Westfield (I think).

Questions I have -
Where are they getting the extra drivers for this?
Where are they getting the extra buses for this?
Where are they going to get a depot (clear if this is a serious attempt, they'd need a depot)?

I assume they will lower their price but it would need to be drastic but would it even be sustainable for them?

I wonder what Lothian will do in retaliation if this is true.

Gingerbus1991

Bus Wars? Nonsense! Lothians astounding fleet, reasonable fares and infrastructure including the use of there trams etc, Lothian have became a force through loyalty from Edinburghs Residents alone.

After first pulled from East Lothian and LB filled the gap, just look at the quality of Bus Lothian provide to Dunbar etc.

A "First" Rate joke.

No operator is liking Lothian atm, both private hire firms and commercial based ones.

The CMA currently takes a stance that monopolising is bad to the public interests, but in glasgow all its set to doing it push up fares whilst we had sub standard buses for years.

Last edited:

Gingerbus1991

Im am rather surprized on lots of front, mainly that commercial buses in Edinburgh are rather successful where as many other areas in scotland aren't.

Its easy to blame local perceptions of bus transport, tourism in edinburgh and lack of rail links within edinbugh etc etc.

I “always” directly compare that level of attention on LB part to the main operator in glasgow, given glasgows consideably larger population, considerable shopping locations etc etc, of course first considerable network of buses but the local perception of buses in glasgow is still “meh” despite all there new purchases of late.

After growing up in glasgow yet working in edinburgh I am outright astounded why edinburgh can have the success it does but glasgow can’t.

nesw

On another note, I fear that the Tram extension to Newhaven will have a mark on lothian buses funds.

The diversions certainly reduced reliability and passenger numbers for the duration of the original construction, though hopefully revised construction practices will lessen the impact this time. I’m guessing that construction could start in September once the festival has ended?

Once the extension is completed then they’ll probably be a realignment of bus routes however, that’s probably at least four years ahead.

Gingerbus1991

The diversions certainly reduced reliability and passenger numbers for the duration of the original construction, though hopefully revised construction practices will lessen the impact this time. I’m guessing that construction could start in September once the festival has ended?

Once the extension is completed then they’ll probably be a realignment of bus routes however, that’s probably at least four years ahead.
Of course, I do forget that the trams generally and only usually have one terminus on each streets where as many bus routes have passenger access to many and newhaven is only a small part in the grand scheme of the whole city.

SpeedbirdA350

When they start to dig up the roads, I'd love to know where the traffic will actually go. Easter Road?! While some off Leith Walk can accept 2 lanes each way, at the bottom half its one lane each way. Easter Road is already a busy road which is just going to become a carpark.

alangla

On another note, I fear that the Tram extension to Newhaven will have a mark on lothian buses funds.
£20m to be hoovered out of Lothian Buses going by the press reports. Whether this is a one off, over several years or every year is unclear. It could, feasibly, be the case that the Livingston adventure is there to make the company less prime for squeezing cash, who knows

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Will be interesting to see if First will go ahead with this. Hopefully they do as id like to see them in Edinburgh again

overthewater

Established Member
Did there? Lothian NEVER said it was the final day. All there said was the last normal service not the last ever day.

Status
Not open for further replies.