• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeedbirdA350

i'm led to believe they are to be more city centre "People Munchers". Central High Capacity Routes.

Rumours on social media and between enthusiasts are that some are for Airlink which i don't personally believe, i work for the company myself and we haven't been told that any are for Airlink or not.

Although i am led to believe the next batch will be ready June time and will first see service with the Royal Highland Show 98's, with miscellaneous B5's being used for 97's and both seeing service on both routes as their interworked.
Based at central again? If so, I think it should be 26 and 31 this time around. I wonder about the 10 too as it can be packed at peak too. A couple of Sunday's ago, they were on the 31 route, so I can only assume this was to see how they went (looked like they had no real issues either).

Am I correct that this is not the last batch of B8L to come too this year? They seem to have proven popular with everyone from what I see. I still think it should be rear tag steer but it's probably an extra cost which LB don't think it is worth paying for.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OmniCity999

Established Member
Based at central again? If so, I think it should be 26 and 31 this time around. I wonder about the 10 too as it can be packed at peak too. A couple of Sunday's ago, they were on the 31 route, so I can only assume this was to see how they went (looked like they had no real issues either).

Am I correct that this is not the last batch of B8L to come too this year? They seem to have proven popular with everyone from what I see. I still think it should be rear tag steer but it's probably an extra cost which LB don't think it is worth paying for.

The 26 is solely a Marine route and it's staying that way.

I dont know the orders this year as we keep getting surprised, although i believe we may be getting some B5TL Enviro 400 contraptions.

SpeedbirdA350

I dunno why I said 26 lol knowing its at Marine. I shall blame lack of sleep! I think 37 and 47 could be shouts too. I look forward to the E400 B5TLs though. I don't quite know the orderbook at ADL but it seems that they seem to be getting buses out fast after an order, almost like a priority list. Probably is not but it just seems like it. They also seem to be more accommodating to Lothian too.

I think when it comes to the 100 though, they'd not have 100 seats for starts given the extra luggage racks needed so would not be able to advertise them as such but the current B5TLs on the Airlink seem to be okay (capacity wise) from looking on the outside (I have not used them peak for a long time) so not sure if there would be a need, unless it is a slight cut in schedule.

OmniCity999

Established Member
I dunno why I said 26 lol knowing its at Marine. I shall blame lack of sleep! I think 37 and 47 could be shouts too. I look forward to the E400 B5TLs though. I don't quite know the orderbook at ADL but it seems that they seem to be getting buses out fast after an order, almost like a priority list. Probably is not but it just seems like it. They also seem to be more accommodating to Lothian too.

I believe the 31 is being discussed to get new buses this year. What i can confirm is our policy has now changed and all new double deck orders will have 2 doors.

SpeedbirdA350

I believe the 31 is being discussed to get new buses this year. What i can confirm is our policy has now changed and all new double deck orders will have 2 doors.
I wonder if that will start from the next batch of B9s (ex Londoners). I have to say, it is good to go back to mid door again, as it does improve times but one thing I did notice was on the B8L, the mid door kneel does not go as low as the front which can make it a little awkward for disabled and elderly people when getting off.

Am I correct when I say that the B7s will be leaving active service next year?

scosutsut

oldman

I have to say, it is good to go back to mid door again, as it does improve times but one thing I did notice was on the B8L, the mid door kneel does not go as low as the front which can make it a little awkward for disabled and elderly people when getting off.

I have noticed that it is often impossible for drivers to pull up parallel to the pavement so passengers have to step down to road level, which is often sloping away from the bus down into the gutter.

OmniCity999

Established Member
I wonder if that will start from the next batch of B9s (ex Londoners). I have to say, it is good to go back to mid door again, as it does improve times but one thing I did notice was on the B8L, the mid door kneel does not go as low as the front which can make it a little awkward for disabled and elderly people when getting off.

Am I correct when I say that the B7s will be leaving active service next year?

The vast majority of the B7 Fleet will be gone this year, if all goes to plan we should be in the same position with B7's next year as we were with Tridents a few weeks ago.

VioletEclipse

The vast majority of the B7 Fleet will be gone this year, if all goes to plan we should be in the same position with B7's next year as we were with Tridents a few weeks ago.
Goodness me to think of the B7s being gone... They have been such a bit part of Central's fleet for over a decade now and it will be weird without them.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Goodness me to think of the B7s being gone... They have been such a bit part of Central's fleet for over a decade now and it will be weird without them.
It’s one of those generational things - before Tridents, it was Olympians and before that Atlanteans.

We may even have the odd poster who remembers the last Titans going??

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The Streetlite has been in production almost a decade and only got worse. I find that unlikely! :frown:

Mind you, some of us have heard this before (as we’re old). Bristol LHs replacing MWs - they’ll not last! They did 19 years in some cases. Nationals replacing REs or Darts replacing Nationals.

Christ, I remember Transits and Merc 608s arriving and doing 10+ years

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Mind you, some of us have heard this before (as we’re old). Bristol LHs replacing MWs - they’ll not last! They did 19 years in some cases. Nationals replacing REs or Darts replacing Nationals.

In fairness some Streetlites have already outlasted quite a number of early Nationals... It is true though, in reality most of the buses we view as "bad" will probably last just as long unfortunately.

However given that our E200MMCs are now over 3 years old it's interesting to compare them with what our Streetlites were like at 3...

route101

Established Member

What bus had the longest service with Lothian?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
In fairness some Streetlites have already outlasted quite a number of early Nationals... It is true though, in reality most of the buses we view as "bad" will probably last just as long unfortunately.

However given that our E200MMCs are now over 3 years old it's interesting to compare them with what our Streetlites were like at 3...
Conversely, I remember the Optare Vectas. Seemingly good and robust - popular with drivers and passengers. Terrible reliability though.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
1106 SJ19 OYG seen at the ADL factory ready for service with CE depot codes, looks like the reg plates are carrying on from the last batch

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Conversely, I remember the Optare Vectas. Seemingly good and robust - popular with drivers and passengers. Terrible reliability though.

Well to sum our Streetlites... Hated by passengers (go on one and you'll hear constant moaning about them), hated by drivers and unreliable.

Indeed.... We just have to make the most of proper diesel buses still in service while they are, eventually everything will be Hybrid and electric, or modern MMCs and Streetdecks etc that don’t give much character really

The Streetlites are frankly just in a league of their own, rancid things. E200MMCs i don't mind, our 7 have quite a bit of character now that they're a few years old. Only issues drivers have with them really is the poor turning circle, but that's down to the long wheelbase so to be expected.

The Streetlites are frankly just in a league of their own, rancid things. E200MMCs i don't mind, our 7 have quite a bit of character now that they're a few years old. Only issues drivers have with them really is the poor turning circle, but that's down to the long wheelbase so to be expected.

Yeh I am a big fan of the E200MMC, but would take an older B7TL, Scania N/L94 series or Trident over one any day. Here in Birmingham, I’m not sure on the drivers opinions but they are mostly used on routes which go down main roads so no problems there. 2 Streetlites have just moved down from Dundee though o_O They are intended for some routes which need smaller buses so should be kept out the way anyway.

Sorry admins if I have veered off topic here

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Yeh I am a big fan of the E200MMC, but would take an older B7TL, Scania N/L94 series or Trident over one any day. Here in Birmingham, I’m not sure on the drivers opinions but they are mostly used on routes which go down main roads so no problems there. 2 Streetlites have just moved down from Dundee though o_O They are intended for some routes which need smaller buses so should be kept out the way anyway.

Sorry admins if I have veered off topic here

Christ no! N94UDs are equally rancid :lol:. Whoever thought it was a good idea to try and cram an extra row of seats downstairs should be fired! Not to mention the whaling racket that comes off the engine. From experience the smaller Streetlites tend to be a little less awful.

Anyway we've veered far too off topic. o_O

SpeedbirdA350

Christ no! N94UDs are equally rancid :lol:. Whoever thought it was a good idea to try and cram an extra row of seats downstairs should be fired! Not to mention the whaling racket that comes off the engine. From experience the smaller Streetlites tend to be a little less awful.

Anyway we've veered far too off topic. o_O
I'm not sure OmniCity999 would agree with you on that! haha. I have to say I actually enjoyed the Lothian scanias, but the seats were not the most generous with legroom for sure!

OmniCity999

Established Member
I'm not sure OmniCity999 would agree with you on that! haha. I have to say I actually enjoyed the Lothian scanias, but the seats were not the most generous with legroom for sure!

I'm 6ft 2" and never had any issues with seating on the Scanias, Upstairs front was the best. On top of that, great all round visibility. Fab vehicles, the ex-Airlink batches were overall significantly different to the demonstrator which was of course an Omnidekka and not an Omnicity.

The Omnidekka was a lot tighter inside and felt a lot cheaper, alot more suited to stage carriage work compared to Omnicity 999.

It's Omnidekkas that tend to be tight with space, not the Omnicities.

Darklord8899

.....I didn't like the Lothian Scania OmniCitys at all. I found them cramped and uncomfortable. The lower deck headroom on them was shocking as well.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I'm 6ft 2" and never had any issues with seating on the Scanias, Upstairs front was the best. On top of that, great all round visibility. Fab vehicles, the ex-Airlink batches were overall significantly different to the demonstrator which was of course an Omnidekka and not an Omnicity.

The Omnidekka was a lot tighter inside and felt a lot cheaper, alot more suited to stage carriage work compared to Omnicity 999.

It's Omnidekkas that tend to be tight with space, not the Omnicities.

Lothian's Scania's had that extra row of seats removed with pointless table that was about 30CM off the ground put in their place.

Omnicity DD's are better overall than the Omnidekka, but for me their equally as nasty! Gimme a Gemini anyday over one. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.