• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Buses and ECB Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Ouch! Seeing 133 on fire hurts. I have travelled on that bus so much I would hate to see it scrapped :( Please Lothian, repair it and return it to service.

I hope no one was injured in the incident.

It'll probably be a scrapper, i can't see them repairing a 14 year old single decker. Maybe First will rivet it back together and send it to Balfron. :lol:

VioletEclipse

It'll probably be a scrapper, i can't see them repairing a 14 year old single decker. Maybe First will rivet it back together and send it to Balfron. :lol:
Yeah chances of it returning to service are minimal, seeing as 701 (same age) is now in the 'vintage' fleet Lothian most likely won't bother repairing it. It's quite sad but I suppose it didn't have long left anyway.

Reminds me of Trident 658 who suffered a similar fate back in 2016, and was subsequently scrapped. It happens every so often with buses.

Gingerbus1991

Has that riveting First Glasgow B7RLE made it to Kirkintilloch yet? Or is it still trying to get out of Bo'ness?
You rarely see a single in Kirkintilloch :|

From what I’ve been told in the past from guys who moved from cumbernauld depot when it closed to larbert, everything is just as bad there as it is in glasgow, making this very likely to be the same in each depot across scotland!

If you aren't a driver and don't have access to behind the scenes I find it hard to believe those can comment on the overall operation and its quality..

Perhaps I should score-out Cello-tape and write Pritt-Stick?, perhaps they could borrow some from a local Primary School..

Jordan Adam

Established Member
You rarely see a single in Kirkintilloch :|

From what I’ve been told in the past from guys who moved from cumbernauld depot when it closed to larbert, everything is just as bad there as it is in glasgow, making this very likely to be the same in each depot across scotland!

If you aren't a driver and don't have access to behind the scenes I find it hard to believe those can comment on the overall operation and its quality..

Perhaps I should score-out Cello-tape and write Pritt-Stick?, perhaps they could borrow some from a local Primary School..

Still, you made a sweeping accusation that wasn't true. Next you'll be using a photo of a Malta Citaro to claim one of Aberdeen's Artics has got stuck on Ellon Road...

Gingerbus1991

Still, you made a sweeping accusation that wasn't true. Next you'll be using a photo of a Malta Citaro to claim one of Aberdeen's Artics has got stuck on Ellon Road...
Aberdeen being the heartland of Firsts inception I’d expect them to pull there weight, the only point of reference I have to believe they do so in the north is from your biased self, the country outside aberdeen may well not be to the same standard, indeed I believe First as a “group” have a fundamental flaw, that being that most of there vehicles aren't looked after to the extent they should be with most vehicles within Firsts arsena subjected to mediocre levels of care & repair, hence why I batter on about rivets being the poor, shoddy choice.

There will be B7RLE or any bus for that matter throughout First with a similar lack of care & attention given to them.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Aberdeen being the heartland of Firsts inception I’d expect them to pull there weight, the only point of reference I have to believe they do so in the north is from your biased self, the country outside aberdeen may well not be to the same standard, indeed I believe First as a “group” have a fundamental flaw, that being that most of there vehicles aren't looked after to the extent they should be with most vehicles within Firsts arsena subjected to mediocre levels of care & repair, hence why I batter on about rivets being the poor, shoddy choice.

There will be B7RLE or any bus for that matter throughout First with a similar lack of care & attention given to them.

Instantly you're wrong, arguably at the moment externally Aberdeen possibly have the worst fleet in First Scotland. Much of the fleet is due for repaint (partially due to a large influx of new vehicles, repaints 5 years ago and a lack of repaints in the past year due to coach hire). The issue here is the simple fact you used the same photo twice to try and defame two different bus operators. It doesn't matter if you think First are like that nation wide, it's besides the point. It's blatant lying, the only one here with bias is you and these instances prove it.

Just as a reminder for others here's both of said posts... :rolleyes:
I can only speak as a glasgow boy having used FiG many times over yet driving many of LB’s 04 plates and traveling on them also, even with a repaint those 04 plates are in better shape than many of Firsts 07, 08 and 09 plates, check out the rivet work on this Midland Bluebird Eclipse just above the back seats, won't find that nonsence on a LB.

As much as I'm led to believe these will be place holders for something newer in the future.

Just off a B7RLE on the 88, what a shoddy, rank mess of a bus!

Held together with rivets!

What a joke of a company, right alongside Stagecoach..

Gingerbus1991

I am biased to Lothian, given there quality, attention, punctuality, cost and overall operation being that above the rest! When you experience it as a driver you'd understand.

Nae fear admitting that!

As the general public are numb to how subsidiaries are regarded as individual companies means all the more that most regard them as “First”, not FiA, FiG, FSE and so on, I’d rather realistically view the group as a whole, I would advise people aren't hoodwinked into thinking otherwise.

When you say FiA have the worst of Scotlands fleet, that in itself rings through the ineptitude of the company from its birth place.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I am biased

We knew that already.

When you say FiA have the worst of Scotlands fleet, that in itself rings through the ineptitude of the company from its birth place.

I should make clear i'm mostly speaking in terms of paint/external appearance. At a mechanical side of things Aberdeen are mostly good.

Do you really think Aberdeen being the "HQ" makes any difference? Ever since Tim the Toole came along the only thing that made Aberdeen the HQ was the fact it said "headquarters" on the sign!

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Tbh it cant be damaged badly considering panels underneath engine are still in tact and the blinds are still there and not damaged at all. Will still go for scrap though

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
The damage really ain't that bad in contrast to 658 which was far far worse. A new rear window, rear cover and a touch up plus a mechanical check and it'll be fine. Probs return something like mid to late June

Jordan Adam

Established Member
The damage really ain't that bad in contrast to 658 which was far far worse. A new rear window, rear cover and a touch up plus a mechanical check and it'll be fine. Probs return something like mid to late June

Even if they were to fix it i'd highly doubt you'd see it back by the end of July, never mind June!

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Id say it could be back by august earliest but your right. The rear ad wich is made from what? paper? should have burnt off if it was bad enough

CM

Instantly you're wrong, arguably at the moment externally Aberdeen possibly have the worst fleet in First Scotland. Much of the fleet is due for repaint (partially due to a large influx of new vehicles, repaints 5 years ago and a lack of repaints in the past year due to coach hire). The issue here is the simple fact you used the same photo twice to try and defame two different bus operators. It doesn't matter if you think First are like that nation wide, it's besides the point. It's blatant lying, the only one here with bias is you and these instances prove it.

He might have told a lie but he certainly isn't wrong. First have proved time and time again that they are incapable of repairing a vehicle properly. The amount of checkerplate I've seen holding buses together is quity simply shocking, there's no valid excuse for it whatsoever. All it takes is a quick phonecall to Wrightbus/ADL/Optare or to whoever built the bus in the first place and order the correct part and fit it properly. Not bodge it with some rivets and hope for the best.

Jordan Adam

Established Member
He might have told a lie but he certainly isn't wrong. First have proved time and time again that they are incapable of repairing a vehicle properly. The amount of checkerplate I've seen holding buses together is quity simply shocking, there's no valid excuse for it whatsoever. All it takes is a quick phonecall to Wrightbus/ADL/Optare or to whoever built the bus in the first place and order the correct part and fit it properly. Not bodge it with some rivets and hope for the best.

I agree, however that was besides the point. A lie is a lie and there's simply no excuse.

Gingerbus1991

Your rationalisation of me as a liar undermines the true fact that “First Group” are “USELESS”, not 100% but at least a good 85 as is.

I am very-nearly-almost certain that I wouldn't have to venture far from glasgow to find a 07/08 or 09 plate in a sorry state whether that be from Aberdeen, falkirk or stirling!

P.S. Personally I don’t care for fleet numbers, hence my generalisation with 1 photo.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

Think you're naive to believe that a quick phonecall is all it needs and the way fleets across the country are sweated these days means that there is precious little slack in the system to have vehicles off the road.

I'd also point out that this is not just something recent. In the mid 1980s, it was common to see plates pot riveted to the base of the doors on Leyland Nationals, given the amount of corrosion. My local depot received a pair of Nationals that, for additional "comfort", had the vents on the heating pods pot riveted shut!!

CM

Think you're naive to believe that a quick phonecall is all it needs and the way fleets across the country are sweated these days means that there is precious little slack in the system to have vehicles off the road.

I'd also point out that this is not just something recent. In the mid 1980s, it was common to see plates pot riveted to the base of the doors on Leyland Nationals, given the amount of corrosion. My local depot received a pair of Nationals that, for additional "comfort", had the vents on the heating pods pot riveted shut!!

Then it's the fault of the operator for not ensuring they have enough "slack" to have a vehicle off the road for proper repairs. And yes, it can actually be as simple as a phonecall to a parts supplier and getting a part sent overnight, I work in an industry where this actually happens....

Gingerbus1991

I like the B8Ls, they look and feel special, despite the downsides of street furniture causing issues with the middle doors, surely london has similar circumstances yet everyone just gets on with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Then it's the fault of the operator for not ensuring they have enough "slack" to have a vehicle off the road for proper repairs. And yes, it can actually be as simple as a phonecall to a parts supplier and getting a part sent overnight, I work in an industry where this actually happens....

I too work in the transport industry and am a qualified transport manager. I'd never send a vehicle out that wasn't legal but where something is cosmetic, it may be better than taking a vehicle off the road and letting people down.

If you want more slack, that costs more money as you doubtless know.

A330Alex

Has anyone heard anything more on the new batch of XLB’s being 96 seats with a buggy space? Would give Lothian some much needed good PR!

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Has anyone heard anything more on the new batch of XLB’s being 96 seats with a buggy space? Would give Lothian some much needed good PR!

Maybe they'll ask if ADL could make a slightly longer model so they can cram more seats in? 96 doesn't have the same ring to it as 100!

SpeedbirdA350

I say keep them as they are, 100 seats, one large wheelchair space and remind those who complain about buggy spaces that it was impossible until 1999 and until 2009 we had some step buses running. Of course wheelchair users never could use the buses either but parents had to fold the buggy up and carry 6 or so bags of shopping on to the bus too... what has happened to people? I know some will disagree with me but I think some feel entitled.

Status
Not open for further replies.